DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7,951 of 22,019
Hi Mori,

I don't think there's a right or wrong to this. Unfortunately there are multiple variables at play - how one listens is one variable, how one explain in words is another, how much experience is further another variable (this is not to say jamato8 is not experienced, he is -very- experienced and I've known him on Head-Fi for a few years), and a multitude more variables to consider.

So the best is to read up more opinions from other members who own both models and have them share. Better still find a way to get or demo both to decide for yourself.

I don't think we are comparing the same thing and that would be my fault for not being clear. You mention AMP2 so I assume you are comparing SE to SE? Also you are using AMP2 and I am using AMP3 at this time and comparing the balanced out of both daps.

I left both daps running all night, so they are warmed up and stable as I hear changes with either if they are just turned on from being off for a while. Any cap/resistor/op amp to me, will sound a little different once warmed up. Resistors change some with heat so they will effect sound since they drop more voltage due to higher resistance when heated than when cool and therefore correct is effected. Anyway I am using AMP3 and comparing both daps balanced. I have to admit they are very close. This is on the latest FW 2.5. For pure sound I still like 2.3 the most and find it the most "holographic" of the FW's and most to my liking.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #7,953 of 22,019
They are close as in the term that Dx200 and Amp3 outperform Wm1z , correct ?
It gets to the point of preferences. The difference is small IMO. I am going back and forth on listening and using 2.3 FW on the DX200 and balanced on the WM1Z and the 200 and using the Utopia and the Twau V2 cable. I have the Twau in with the cable plugging into either the 4.4 or the 2.5 and the adapter of course also is in the 8 braid Twau V2.

Both daps are well textured in sound. The bass goes low and is articulated, not overblown or blotted but clean and solid without bleeding into the lower mids. The voice on the DX200 is slightly closer compared to the 1Z. I listen to the 1Z and think, wow, this is better, very transparent and layered then go back to the 200 and, oh, this is also and not any less. lol The excellent thing about having the adapter plugs, that do not degrade the sound as they use the Kobiconn connector, is that the dap does not stop playing when I switch and switching take a couple of seconds. I can lag one of the daps a few seconds behind the other so I hear the same music by staying in the right switching of cable method (if that makes sense). For me the 200 does some things like openness to the sound slightly better but they are both very appealing and I enjoy both except for the price of the 1Z. :^) I am not waffling on what I have said about the sound but I don't want to mislead someone into thinking there is a huge difference as there is not. But I do prefer the 200 with FW 2.3.

And another variable: Are you using the Android mode or pure Mango. Just to add to the confusion or mix.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #7,954 of 22,019
AMP4 will be out in a few weeks. It is balanced and uses the 4.4 TRRRS. It is a high current and high voltage amplifier. There is no line out or single ended as it is a dedicated balanced amplifier using the 4.4 socket. Specification with be forthcoming but are basically the same as AMP3 with a slightly different sound.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #7,956 of 22,019
AMP4 will be out in a few weeks. It is balanced and uses the 4.4 TRRRS. It is a high current and high voltage amplifier. There is no line out or single ended as it is a dedicated balanced amplifier using the 4.4 socket. Specification with be forthcoming but are basically the same as AMP3 with a slightly different sound.

Woohoo!

Sounds like a lot of folks will be happy, especially those sporting this connector!

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #7,957 of 22,019
I don't think we are comparing the same thing and that would be my fault for not being clear. You mention AMP2 so I assume you are comparing SE to SE? Also you are using AMP2 and I am using AMP3 at this time and comparing the balanced out of both daps.

I left both daps running all night, so they are warmed up and stable as I hear changes with either if they are just turned on from being off for a while. Any cap/resistor/op amp to me, will sound a little different once warmed up. Resistors change some with heat so they will effect sound since they drop more voltage due to higher resistance when heated than when cool and therefore correct is effected. Anyway I am using AMP3 and comparing both daps balanced. I have to admit they are very close. This is on the latest FW 2.5. For pure sound I still like 2.3 the most and find it the most "holographic" of the FW's and most to my liking.

I should have clarified. DX200 on Amp1 2.5mm balanced compared to the NW-WM1Z 4.mm balanced (with a 2.5mm -> 4.4mm adapter).

I've only put the Amp2 on the DX200 this past weekend and haven't compared against the NW-WM1Z SE-to-SE.

That is excellent news! Great job in convincing the rest of iBasso mgt to agree making the 4.4mm :D.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #7,958 of 22,019

What kind of hit will that take on battery charge life?

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #7,959 of 22,019
What kind of hit will that take on battery charge life?
It says the specs are about the same as AMP3 so from that I would read that the battery life would be about the same. I get around 7.5 hours or a little more depending upon the file type.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #7,960 of 22,019
^
I don't have any 4.4mm Balanced but Paul's "It is a high current and high voltage amplifier" description had me curious. I get around the same as you w/ AMP3 primarily using FLAC.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #7,961 of 22,019
I like the 4.4 plug. Furutech is coming out with a nice 4.4 that is non magnetic that was supposed to already be out but there was a production hold up.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7,962 of 22,019

That is excellent news! Great job in convincing the rest of iBasso mgt to agree making the 4.4mm :D.

Wouldn't having all cables terminated with 2.5mm TRRS balanced and using 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm pentaconn adapter be more efficient for WM1Z playback and every other DAP with 2.5mm bal HO? Unless people really make a commitment and terminate all their cables with 4.4mm once they get 1Z :)

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #7,963 of 22,019
Wouldn't having all cables terminated with 2.5mm TRRS balanced and using 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm pentaconn adapter be more efficient for WM1Z playback and every other DAP with 2.5mm bal HO? Unless people really make a commitment and terminate all their cables with 4.4mm once they get 1Z :)
Depends on owners? I actually have 50/50 2.5mm and 4.4mm...in fact it's the 3.5mm SE that's in the minority of my main cables. I have adapters that go both ways 2.5mm female -> 4.4mm male, 4.4mm female -> 2.5mm male. However they add length to the adapters and increases the risk of breakage.

As a connector, I personally would like to see the 4.4mm succeed - just practically it's a more robust standard - larger contact points, has ground availability for implementation should one choose to do so, etc.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #7,964 of 22,019
Putting aside the hassle of having a separate device (and have to stack)...

For AMP3, I wonder how well does it fare with portable balance amp like the RSA-SR71B (http://www.headfonia.com/rsa-sr71b-first-impression/) Any chance anyone had experience with the SR71B?

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #7,965 of 22,019
I was advised before to stay away from DX200 because of no local importer in my country. But I could not resist. I ordered it with AMP3. I've been enjoying the SQ since then.

A newbie question here. Any default setting or most commonly used setting as to the digital filter? I thought I could hear the differences of each setting but in the end,
No, I got lost. I listen to Rock 50% and jazz 30%. Now my DX200 is set " Slow Roll off, (linear)". It may be a liking issue but helpful to know the ordinary setting, anyway.
Thank you for your advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back