DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #7,786 of 22,021
Thanks, I think I am starting to understand. If I want to experiment to see if I can improve sound or soundstage I can use amp1 with SE out and outboard amp SE in with a connector I will have to purchase. I could use the balanced out of DX200 to connect with a balanced input of an outboard amp as well with additional connectors. If I do not want an outboard amp and want to change the sound signature of the DX200 then I could try the amp3 or amp2 (which may not be able to drive the HD200 S). Just let me know if I am on the right track with my thinking.

If you attempt to use the DX200 balanced output to an external balanced amp input, you will be double-amping the signal as the DX200 balanced output has already passed through the amplifier stage and is an analog headphone output. While it is possible to use the DX200 as a digital source, it is really a waste of excellent downstream circuitry and there is no way to get a balanced digital output from the DX200.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7,787 of 22,021
If you attempt to use the DX200 balanced output to an external balanced amp input, you will be double-amping the signal as the DX200 balanced output has already passed through the amplifier stage and is an analog headphone output. While it is possible to use the DX200 as a digital source, it is really a waste of excellent downstream circuitry and there is no way to get a balanced digital output from the DX200.

Are you saying it is a waste to use DX200 as music source or just a waste to use balanced output as connection? If an external amp totally negates the quality of the DX200 It would kind of make sense because it seems like everyone that talks about using a headphone amp is using a CD player, computer, or turntable as music source. I really hope that is not the case.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #7,788 of 22,021
Are you saying it is a waste to use DX200 as music source or just a waste to use balanced output as connection? If an external amp totally negates the quality of the DX200 It would kind of make sense because it seems like everyone that talks about using a headphone amp is using a CD player, computer, or turntable as music source. I really hope that is not the case.

I am only saying that the DX200 lacks a provision for delivering a balanced digital output to an external balanced DAC input. Using the balanced headphone analog output to feed the balanced input of a external amplifier is not the best course of action as you will be re-amplifying any artifacts that might be delivered by the DX200 amplifier section.
The DX200 is certainly a TOTL device that approaches the audio quality of many non-portable desktop combinations. It is a waste of this quality to use the DX200 as a simple digital transport. I know of no way to supply a balanced digital signal from the DX200 to an external DAC/Amp.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #7,789 of 22,021
I am only saying that the DX200 lacks a provision for delivering a balanced digital output to an external balanced DAC input. Using the balanced headphone analog output to feed the balanced input of a external amplifier is not the best course of action as you will be re-amplifying any artifacts that might be delivered by the DX200 amplifier section.
The DX200 is certainly a TOTL device that approaches the audio quality of many non-portable desktop combinations. It is a waste of this quality to use the DX200 as a simple digital transport. I know of no way to supply a balanced digital signal from the DX200 to an external DAC/Amp.

It is still not clear to me what you are getting at. When you are saying it is a waste of quality to use as simple digital transport are you saying if I am using a quality headphone amp then not much difference from using a phone as a music source compared to DX200. I hope you are saying just using the balanced output is a waste. Or is it a waste of the quality of the DX200 even if I use the SE line out to connect to an external amp SE line in? I apologize for being so dense about this.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #7,790 of 22,021
You can use either the optical or coax output to feed an external DAC but you can use a much less expensive device to simply act as a transport, many of which have the capability to supply raw digital data via USB/OTG which the DX200 will not do. If you want to use an external amplifier, it will be rather pricey to find one that outperforms the DX200 amplifier section but if you feel you need additional amplification, the line-out will provide an excellent quality analog signal to an external amp without the added expensive of an additional DAC. Of course if cost is no object, there are numerous stand-alone multi-thousand dollar DACs and Amps that can be used that will sound superb, but of course the price to improvement ratio becomes enormous!

Please remember that if you are wanting balanced, the only way possible is by listening directly from the TRRS output or by re-amping the TRRS output.

I might suggest just trying the DX200 alone, with either SE or balanced phones and see if this meets your needs. If not, you can always move onward and upward from there once you decide exactly what you want and how much you want to spend.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #7,791 of 22,021
You can use either the optical or coax output to feed an external DAC but you can use a much less expensive device to simply act as a transport, many of which have the capability to supply raw digital data via USB/OTG which the DX200 will not do. If you want to use an external amplifier, it will be rather pricey to find one that outperforms the DX200 amplifier section but if you feel you need additional amplification, the line-out will provide an excellent quality analog signal to an external amp without the added expensive of an additional DAC. Of course if cost is no object, there are numerous stand-alone multi-thousand dollar DACs and Amps that can be used that will sound superb, but of course the price to improvement ratio becomes enormous!

Please remember that if you are wanting balanced, the only way possible is by listening directly from the TRRS output or by re-amping the TRRS output.

I might suggest just trying the DX200 alone, with either SE or balanced phones and see if this meets your needs. If not, you can always move onward and upward from there once you decide exactly what you want and how much you want to spend.

Thank you. I kind of came to that conclusion. What I have sounds good and still breaking it in. When I have opportunities I will take my DX200/HD800 S to a audio store or someday I want to attend a meet. I am not going to invest in anything more unless I can spend some time trying out what I may want to buy.

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #7,792 of 22,021

First, digital is digital. No SE or balanced there.

Speaking of analog. You might use Line Out to pair to external amp.
SE line out on AMP1 and 2.
Balanced line out on AMP3.

But why don't you first burn in DX200 and HD800S and then tell what the combination lacks for you?

Like @HiFlight says If you think that a portable device like DX200 will not do the job, why buy it?
Directly buy desktop combination of DAC and amp. Or DAC/AMP.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #7,793 of 22,021

But why don't you first burn in DX200 and HD800S and then tell what the combination lacks for you?

Like @HiFlight says If you think that a portable device like DX200 will not do the job, why buy it?
Totally agree, there are cheaper options of Android DAPs you could use as Transport (even a phone will do)
About Analog: If you want Balanced then use AMP3 as the Line out is balanced. It's not an uncommon configuration: At home I use Balanced cables for the analog output between my Marantz NA11S1 and the BAT Vk300x (BAT btw stands for Balanced Audio Technology)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #7,794 of 22,021
Has anyone experienced unexplained rapid battery discharge whilst their unit was switched off? I instigated a rescan of my memory card in Mango mode a day ago as I'd added some tracks. At that point the cheese was around 85%. As is usually the the case the unit will stall around halfway when scanning (can't usually tell as the screen is off) and turns itself off. Whenever I later want to use the unit for the first time after scanning I have to press Power + Play to restart.

This morning on the train the unit would not start, no signs of life. It was as if it was bricked. When I got to work I used the included USB cable to restart it by charging it from the wall socket (not from a PC). The power indicator was in the low 30% range. I fully charged it to 100% and turned it off.

In the afternoon traveling home the unit restarted straight away but it was only at 33%.

A bit over 30 minutes later it is at 18%. Just listening to a 24 bit (but 44.1khz) flac file Witt the screen always off with Lurker's firmware. Pretty much never use Android mode. Any ideas?

It has never done this before.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,795 of 22,021
Has anyone experienced unexplained rapid battery discharge whilst their unit was switched off? I instigated a rescan of my memory card in Mango mode a day ago as I'd added some tracks. At that point the cheese was around 85%. As is usually the the case the unit will stall around halfway when scanning (can't usually tell as the screen is off) and turns itself off. Whenever I later want to use the unit for the first time after scanning I have to press Power + Play to restart.

This morning on the train the unit would not start, no signs of life. It was as if it was bricked. When I got to work I used the included USB cable to restart it by charging it from the wall socket (not from a PC). The power indicator was in the low 30% range. I fully charged it to 100% and turned it off.

In the afternoon traveling home the unit restarted straight away but it was only at 33%.

A bit over 30 minutes later it is at 18%. Just listening to a 24 bit (but 44.1khz) flac file Witt the screen always off with Lurker's firmware. Pretty much never use Android mode. Any ideas?

What firmware version are you using?? Seems like I have similar issue with the latest firmware.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #7,796 of 22,021

That is what I am going to do. I get influenced by some of the stuff I read but no substitute for actually listening. As I said in some of my other replies, when I get a chanch I will try and listen to some amps and if they blow me away will buy and if not I will save some money.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #7,798 of 22,021

Was it doing this with the DX200 stock firmware? I suggest a factory reset and also using the batch tool and the .img firmware listed on the 1st page. Then update to the latest FW in the normal manner. We have tested a number of DX200s with the latest FW and have a few running and cycling with no issue like this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #7,799 of 22,021
Woah, I have DX200 on my hands right now.

DX200 + AM1 connected to RE-2000 from HiFiMAN, the combo is quite divine.

There is a very nice sense of width and depth to all music, the mids are amazing, vivid textures, there's no trace of harshness or spikyiness, but there is still enough spark in music for it to sound interesting and energetic, almost like it gets the best of both worlds

More impressions incoming soon! :darthsmile:

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7,800 of 22,021
I wouldn't want more bass on the DX200. To me it would be unnatural but if you want more bass use the EQ but it drives the Utopia with ease and the bass is very well integrated and goes low with plenty of slam.

Excellent bass, impact and slam with RE-2000 as well. Couldn't really want more, it is on a sweet spot right now.

DX200 is slowly becoming a favorite :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back