DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #13,141 of 22,021
While I love the AMP4S I can’t help but hear the sound as a bit diffused. Amp4 and my Plenue2 are not so. This is with Campfire Audio Vega. Definitely not hating on this amp, I really like the sound. Listening to Sinatra as I am writing this, love it! Just a different sound. Maybe that is why the soundstage seems so large to me. Either way I am loving the sound. Hope you all have a great day!

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #13,142 of 22,021
Holy crap, there's an amp4s that's like amp4 only a little warmer and musical?

That may be exactly what my u18 tzars are looking for!

Where are you getting these from? Anyone have a link? (Didn't see anything on ibasso official page)

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #13,143 of 22,021
While I love the AMP4S I can’t help but hear the sound as a bit diffused. Amp4 and my Plenue2 are not so. This is with Campfire Audio Vega. Definitely not hating on this amp, I really like the sound. Listening to Sinatra as I am writing this, love it! Just a different sound. Maybe that is why the soundstage seems so large to me. Either way I am loving the sound. Hope you all have a great day!
I listen to a lot of live music. Never heard it as pinpoint as I want on daps or my home speaker system, never. I think it is the need to overcome and fool the mind by making the music hyper realistic.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #13,147 of 22,021
Does anybody have a clue why ibasso is no longer making AMP4 or AMP4s? Also, if anyone is looking to sell their AMP5, AMP4 or 4S shoot me a PM :beyersmile::beyersmile:

It's worth bearing in mind that, compared with 3.5mm single-ended and 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm is a relatively rare kind of connector.
And having to add (e.g.) a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adaptor makes the whole package less transportable and adds another link into the chain which could cause a deterioration or alteration in the sound signature.
Having said that, I just got the iBasso CA2 adaptor recently, and it's unspeakably gorgeous and has been reviewed as not colouring the sound signature lol. As long as I'm using it at home, it's fine :)

With this in mind, there's going to be a tension between hype (even well-deserved hype) and potential actual practical sales volumes of the AMP4.
It seems with this rather niche product, iBasso are going down a kind of boutique route; just releasing a couple of hundred units at a time, which also helps to make sure they don't get burned in terms of products sitting around unsold.
With the vast majority of their products, there is loads of stock (which sells too!); this is just an exception for a very specific product. There'll probably be another run of an AMP4 version, since there still seems to be some demand.

Well, that's my take on all this anyway :)
I missed out on the AMP4, which I'm sad about, but no hard feelings toward iBasso for that, and I'm happy for those who got to experience it.
Finally, knowing iBasso, I can be peaceful about all this because I am fairly confident that they'll release another AMP unit sooner or later that's going to be considered better than AMP4 and AMP4s put together :D
Because that's just how they roll :p

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #13,148 of 22,021
Holy crap, there's an amp4s that's like amp4 only a little warmer and musical?

That may be exactly what my u18 tzars are looking for!

Where are you getting these from? Anyone have a link? (Didn't see anything on ibasso official page)

I'm looking for a DAP that pair well with the u18t as well without breaking the bank and since the best amp is not available anymore dunno which dap I should go to I have a pioneer 300rb but still haven't received my tzar so dunno how they will sound

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #13,149 of 22,021
I'm looking for a DAP that pair well with the u18t as well without breaking the bank and since the best amp is not available anymore dunno which dap I should go to I have a pioneer 300rb but still haven't received my tzar so dunno how they will sound

Well, of course I think the DX200 would be a great choice, and its range of AMP units give you flexibility to tailor the sound to your liking.

However, the Pioneer 300R-B is a decent and good value DAP; not TOTL maybe, but a solid performer not massively far behind the TOTL.
My advice would be to wait until your receive the u18t and spend a couple of weeks listening to them on your existing setup.

This will have multiple benefits.

1) you will get a good understanding of the sound of the ut18 and what - for you - are it's strengths and any things you'd like to tweak

2) it may all sound so great that you feel no need to upgrade your DAP and hence save money. Or save money to spend on other audiophile kit :p

3) Given the first point I made, you'll hopefully have a good understanding of the u18t, along with a much clearer understanding of what you are looking to 'add' to its sound through your choice of DAP. For example, you might want a stronger or less emphasised low end, a wider soundstage, something to slightly tame the treble.. With your specific requirements in mind, you can then post on Head-Fi and get help that should enable you to get a DAP that's a perfect pairing.

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #13,150 of 22,021
Well, of course I think the DX200 would be a great choice, and its range of AMP units give you flexibility to tailor the sound to your liking.

However, the Pioneer 300R-B is a decent and good value DAP; not TOTL maybe, but a solid performer not massively far behind the TOTL.
My advice would be to wait until your receive the u18t and spend a couple of weeks listening to them on your existing setup.

This will have multiple benefits.

1) you will get a good understanding of the sound of the ut18 and what - for you - are it's strengths and any things you'd like to tweak

2) it may all sound so great that you feel no need to upgrade your DAP and hence save money. Or save money to spend on other audiophile kit :p

3) Given the first point I made, you'll hopefully have a good understanding of the u18t, along with a much clearer understanding of what you are looking to 'add' to its sound through your choice of DAP. For example, you might want a stronger or less emphasised low end, a wider soundstage, something to slightly tame the treble.. With your specific requirements in mind, you can then post on Head-Fi and get help that should enable you to get a DAP that's a perfect pairing.

I just sold my w80 and I have the funds sitting on my PayPal balance that's why I have the itch but the wise decision would be to wait until I receive them Thursday. I hope I can resist until then

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #13,151 of 22,021
I just sold my w80 and I have the funds sitting on my PayPal balance that's why I have the itch but the wise decision would be to wait until I receive them Thursday. I hope I can resist until then

It's a tough game this :D

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #13,152 of 22,021
Does anybody have a clue why ibasso is no longer making AMP4 or AMP4s? Also, if anyone is looking to sell their AMP5, AMP4 or 4S shoot me a PM :beyersmile::beyersmile:

I think they have a little bit tolerance problem between 4.4mm plug and socket as they bundled few plastic spacer in order to fix this glitch. I have a Sony ZX300 which has no problem with all my 4.4mm plug. However, my AMP4S has some connection problem with two of my 4.4mm cable (orignial Sony Kimble Kable) which need to install the plastic spacers between the socket and plug in order to sound properly. Frankly, I am not that happy with this and I don’t think this situation is good for mass production. iBasso will very busy with large number of unhappy customers if they don’t limit the production.

I remember ppl mention this problem in this thread before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back