DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #12,871 of 22,021
So... A balanced version of AMP5? With linux4ever's comment about elevated treble sparkle and yours with the increased musicality in the bass and mids, it kind of sounds like AMP5.

I tend to agree with that. I received AMP4s yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen. Listening to AMP5 mostly with LCD Series.

To my ears amp5 sounds kind of little muddy warm compared to amp4s has layers and articulate warming sound with some details... I do not know if it is because of different IEMs/CIEMs.
That is why most of headfiers here raved the amp4.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #12,872 of 22,021
I did extensive comparing today of the 1Z and 200 with the AMP4. They are both excellent. What I hear more of with the 200 is sound behind the performer and dynamic contrasts but the differences, IMO, are small. The acoustical reflections of sound are more obvious to me with the 200 over the 1Z. Timbre on both are very good. The very best I have heard was the DX200 Cu, which is a mute point since it isn't available but worth mentioning.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #12,873 of 22,021
I did extensive comparing today of the 1Z and 200 with the AMP4. They are both excellent. What I hear more of with the 200 is sound behind the performer and dynamic contrasts but the differences, IMO, are small. The acoustical reflections of sound are more obvious to me with the 200 over the 1Z. Timbre on both are very good. The very best I have heard was the DX200 Cu, which is a mute point since it isn't available but worth mentioning.

DX200 is no doubt the best value for money if you want good sound yet affordable price. In fact the nuance improvements in going to higher end models such as SP1000 or 1Z wont be heard as clearly unless your using a super TOTL iem IMO. For most of us(common peasants :dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile:), i think pairing our current IEMs with the dx200 is astonishingly good enough.

However if you have the extra dough to go for the higher models.... Thats a different story HAHAH

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #12,874 of 22,021
Lol, just burn-in the brain :wink:

Amp4S is definitely a more musical module, or perhap the most musicality accross all the amp modules that I have up until now (I don’t have amp2 or 5). Very nice! While amp3 and amp4 was almost similar, the amp 4s is like different sound signature. The fastest amp modules I have seen is the amp4, then next up would be amp1. The amp1 is fast, but doesn’t offer the performances the amp4 does. The amp4 is like amp1+amp3 together, super fast, and good performances. The amp3 was so welcome by dx200 owner because it had that performances of details, resolutions, soundstages and better musicality in comparison to amp1.

The amp4s is like the amp3 with added musicality into the sub-bass, bass, mid spectrum including the more vivid vocal details and extensions (female vocal is to die for). The sub bass is better rumbles, and mid bass is with better blooms. Over-all, the amp4s is also the most warmed signature in comparison to the whole bunch. Did Ibasso read my mind or what ? I was bored and tired of the very similar signature from amp1 into improved amp3, and faster speed amp4....but sharing similar signatures of being neutral.

For some reasons, the amp4s can also drive Hd800s well enough to an acceptable level. Yet, it is not as refined as 1Z, but is very acceptable. Now I can do Hd800s on either dx200 or 1Z :). I am very happy

Do not mistaken the amp4s for being overly warmth, nope. It is a very slight touch of warmth that can be observed when compared to other modules. But in general, the amp4s can be said to be Musical, fluidly and still neutral IMO.

Nice take on the amp4s. By the way, both of our listening preference seems to be very similar. What you described is what i feel about the amp4s too! Amp4s compared to amp5 the major difference i feel is the clarity in vocals and the very smooth rendition of the female low and high vocals. Very pleasing to my ears....

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #12,876 of 22,021

moot

:wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #12,877 of 22,021
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #12,878 of 22,021
Do not mistaken the amp4s for being overly warmth, nope. It is a very slight touch of warmth that can be observed when compared to other modules. But in general, the amp4s can be said to be Musical, fluidly and still neutral IMO.

Completely agree with you!!!

it's definitely the most enjoyable amp I heard so far, it pairs exceptionally well with the SE5u and the Fibae3. :ksc75smile:

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #12,879 of 22,021
DX200 is no doubt the best value for money if you want good sound yet affordable price. In fact the nuance improvements in going to higher end models such as SP1000 or 1Z wont be heard as clearly unless your using a super TOTL iem IMO. For most of us(common peasants :dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile:), i think pairing our current IEMs with the dx200 is astonishingly good enough.

However if you have the extra dough to go for the higher models.... Thats a different story HAHAH
And that is the point, it is the nuances that I hear difference with the DX200 and AMP4 picking up more natural acoustical reverb on any of my IEM's or Headphones, though it is only the better headphones that make it clearer what is going on, along with the better IEM's.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #12,880 of 22,021
I may have screwed my AMP4 up...my cat knocked the DX200 off the desk with the adapter in...now I have a little wobbly connection and some minor static going on...

Schiit... @Whitigir will the fix you put up help this? I might need a hand...lol

:frowning2:

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #12,881 of 22,021
I can worm my way out of this. I no longer here it so it is mute. lol Oh, did I write here, it is not longer here.

LOL no no no don't you go playing that one...

I know you can spell...so there! lol

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #12,882 of 22,021
Not to take away from the 4s impressions - wish I had something to hook into mine lol - Anyone ever notice intermittent static noise when streaming Tidal or even just in the app no music playing? Same goes for Tidal via UAPP. I only get it in left channel as well.

Could this just be the byproduct of living in a condo? Wifi pollution?? I would say it sounds identical to what a dirty pot sounds like. That same scratchy noise but very, very quiet. Can't hear it with music playing save for extremely quite passages. It's extra bad (read: continuous, same volume though) after pushing play while waiting for track to play. I can at least say this is not firmware related having tried that.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #12,884 of 22,021
Need to connect power supply first then connect otg drive later.

Artpiggo,

Just got the iDefender today. Having the same issue that batracom is having. Before connecting the external HDD / OTG drive, I connect:

Power supply -> iDefender -> USB female A to male C adapter -> DX200

It is not charging the DX200. When I then connect the external HDD to the iDefender's female end, it appears to power the HDD.

Wondering if we need to reverse the connections? Based on the manual / description (https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/iDefender_manual.pdf), the iDefender's USB A male end is supposed to be connected to the PC, meaning the "source" of the data? And the external power supply is supposed to power the USB DAC (substitute the DX200 here), apparently connected via the USB female?

Thanks!

Joe

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #12,885 of 22,021
Artpiggo,

Just got the iDefender today. Having the same issue that batracom is having. Before connecting the external HDD / OTG drive, I connect:

Power supply -> iDefender -> USB female A to male C adapter -> DX200

It is not charging the DX200. When I then connect the external HDD to the iDefender's female end, it appears to power the HDD.

Wondering if we need to reverse the connections? Based on the manual / description (https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/iDefender_manual.pdf), the iDefender's USB A male end is supposed to be connected to the PC, meaning the "source" of the data? And the external power supply is supposed to power the USB DAC (substitute the DX200 here), apparently connected via the USB female?

Thanks!

Joe

No. It should work like we connect. I tested it with very first FW of DX200. I will test at shop again when have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back