DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #12,511 of 22,021
@Layman1 if you fancy ordering the Amp 4s from AMP3Players, I might pick it up for you. I’m driving up to Scotland in the early hours of Wednesday morning and not coming back till Sunday. I have Amp 4s on pre order and toying with the idea of seeing if the good people at AMP3Players would be into letting me pop in and pick it up. Then have a wander round Edinburgh listening to my DX200+Amp4s,CB13+Andromeda=happy days

you may see me wandering around Edinburgh with my dx200

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #12,513 of 22,021
Apologies, joking aside, I don't want to leave your questions unaddressed, especially with you being (relatively?) new to Head-Fi :)
In order to help you better, it would be helpful if you could tell us what you liked and disliked about each of those AMP units?
Also, do you plan to mostly use the AMP single-ended, or with a balanced cable? (can explain these terms if you don't know them, but I'm assuming you do!).

My general impression is that AMP1 is relatively more reference and neutral sounding. AMP3 a bit more warm and organic, AMP5 even more warm and organic.
AMP2 seemed to have a somewhat richer and intimate sound, but more subtle and rather different from AMPs 3 and 5.

I've read some differing reports regarding the bass quantities of each. And my reviews are based on past impressions that I may have remembered imperfectly, since I've mainly just stuck with AMP3 so far just for the sake of convenience (all my IEM's are using balanced cables now).
I haven't yet had the chance to try AMP4; potentially that could be a winner?

And, joking aside, if you were willing/able to shell out for a DX150, that comes with the new AMP6 that may offer a similar, but possibly improved or at least slightly different sound to the AMP1 - and it's confirmed as being compatible with the DX200, and has the same single ended and balanced outputs as the AMP1.

Hope this all helps, and feel free to let us know more about what you are looking for :)

To my ears I do not listen amp1 as much as I listened to amp3 with CIEMs Unique Melody Miracle v1 and amp5 with CIEMs EE Spartan (balanced 2.5). My impressions are on amp3 is dynamic, clear and big soundstage with level of my listening is 7.0 to 7.5 whereas on amp5 the level is 8.0-8.5 very musical in medium soundstage with the wonderful low bass.
I am dreaming now for matching EE CIEMs Phantom paired with DX200+amp3 (maybe amp4s?) and Legend X paired with DX200+amp5...:smile_phones:

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #12,514 of 22,021
We may well be the only two people walking around Edinburgh listening to the DX200, I guess we’ll be the ones with the biggest grins on our faces :ksc75smile:

indeed in a sea of mobile phones we will stand out

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #12,517 of 22,021
I did asked Ibasso regarding this in their FB when amp4s was released. Apparently they are using the same female socket and they do not think the socket was the cause..

I have not had any connection issue with my AMP4. So Paul/iBasso is right in saying that it is not the cause. And looking forward to getting my AMP4S soon.

On another note:
I Tried DX200 + AMP4 + P.W. Audio #5 + Massdrop Universal Plus = Outstanding pairing. Massdrop Universal Plus continues to surprise me, the more I use it. For a $300 IEM this performs like a $1000-$1500 IEM. For people that are really looking for inexpensive and excellent IEM options, Massdrop Universal Plus should be on your list.

Now I'll go try the new Campfire Audio Comet that arrived today. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #12,519 of 22,021
Thanks artpiggo and Lurker!

Artpiggo, do you use that flow chart you show? That is, the iDefender can access the data from the HDD (without the need for an OTG cable), pass the data to DX200, and also at the same time charge the DX200 (if a power bank/source is attached to the side of the iDefender)?

Thanks again!

Yes it is. No otg cable needed. That usb female end of idefender can read data from ext hdd directly. I have tried that.

However I don't use this method now because I think it is too hard to portable outside.
At home, I use upnp streaming from my asus router connecting with ext hdd instead.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #12,524 of 22,021
@Paul - iBasso : As a prospective buyer, I'd like to know why the Amp4s production was so low, and when more will be available. Thank you.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #12,525 of 22,021
I don't hear any difference, they both sound great. Although I can imagine there would be some minor differences due to 32bit hires driver in UAPP.
Thanks, this is what seals the deal on the DX200 for me as I heard a sonic difference between Tidal, Tidal offline and MicroSD (Mango) while auditioning to the point that I kinda wrote Tidal streaming off on it due to veiling, collapsed soundstage and a rather quickly fatiguing sound for me (my ears not yours so clearly ymmv)

To put this in perspective for a moment, this is in comparison to the extremely engaging sound that playing files off internal or MSD will get ya so Tidal streaming was clearly still quite listenable. Leaving all that untapped potential, well...untapped seemed rather silly to me tho. Which means Pirate Bay better keep it's crap together:fingers_crossed:Seems the best for lesser known bands. Better alternative out there?

This audition was with AMP3 driving MD K10 and then AMP5 surprisingly making an old pair of ER4S sound really really good.....well, really, really listenable haha. Nah, they were quite good for some female vocal stuff.

Screw you Hugo 2. DX200 FTW!!

***No disrespect to H2 owners. A very fine piece of gear***.........for me to poop on. Jokes. I actually still want one. A Pugo 2....still want it tho.

Hi, I'm Nate. I'm new here:wave: Though it might be a good time to introduce myself as some of you (got just enough self-respect not to say "most"...or "all" ha) some of you might be thinking, well that got weird at the end, and my response to you is, don't all things that end kinda get weird, at the end?

Shoot, this got even weirder at the end...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back