DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 7, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #11,746 of 22,021
If I understand correctly, there are some issues about the fit of the Pentaconn connection on amp4.
(the one where people have to place a washer on the plug to get the right fit)
Someone on the forum fixid this issue by changing the connector inside Amp4
Would't it be a good opportunity for Ibasso to change this in the next batch?

It would be nice to have confirmation that AMP4, once available again, will be orderable from ibasso.com, or if it will only be available from resellers.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #11,747 of 22,021
If I understand correctly, there are some issues about the fit of the Pentaconn connection on amp4.
Well, not sure the problem is that severe. I've got no problems with AMP4 -> CA02 -> CB12 -> IT03 set, put aside this setup does not fit into pocket easily.
With AMP1 I had problems with balanced phone output socket as the sound from left earpiece dropped when CB12 jack was rotated
20180307_091950.jpg

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #11,748 of 22,021
mine has been shippsed out today now the wait for my new dap begin

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #11,749 of 22,021
Well, not sure the problem is that severe. I've got no problems with AMP4 -> CA02 -> CB12 -> IT03 set, put aside this setup does not fit into pocket easily.
With AMP1 I had problems with balanced phone output socket as the sound from left earpiece dropped when CB12 jack was rotated

I dont want to be rude, so please don't take it personal, but that CA02 looks pretty horrible to me :wink:
Then I rather spend €150 on a cable coming with Pentaconn connector
But these Pentaconns also stick out a fair bit compared to my current angled 2,5mm TRRS

I did some brief googling but did not quickly find angled 4.4mm connector
Does anyone know these exist?

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #11,750 of 22,021
I dont want to be rude, so please don't take it personal, but that CA02 looks pretty horrible to me :wink:
But these Pentaconns also stick out a fair bit compared to my current angled 2,5mm TRRS

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...000000152184&search=pentaconn&sort=price_desc
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...000000152185&search=pentaconn&sort=price_desc

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #11,751 of 22,021
Hey guys, I'm having issues with my DX200. I just tried to switch from Android to Mango mode, and it just switched off. Now, whenever I try to turn it on, it boots up, displays the loading screen for a few seconds, then the shutdown screen. Any idea on how to fix this?

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #11,752 of 22,021

Thanks

That looks good. Seems that the part sticking out is around 2 cm. Any custom cable maker should be able to get these.
For non customs cables; I found a complete cable from Sony (MUC-M12SB1) of which the sticking out seems even less than 2 cm's, and that will fit my Shure IEM's, but the price is rather steep :triportsad:

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #11,753 of 22,021
Hey guys, I'm having issues with my DX200. I just tried to switch from Android to Mango mode, and it just switched off. Now, whenever I try to turn it on, it boots up, displays the loading screen for a few seconds, then the shutdown screen. Any idea on how to fix this?
I've had this behavior once, connected the unit to a powerful wall charger and it helped.
It does look weird and uncomfortable. I've considered Pentaconn mmcx cable instead but could not find angled one and at the same time measured straight Pentaconn as only 1-3mm shorter than CA02+CB12.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #11,754 of 22,021

I assume you mean "horrible" due to its size, rather than color? Because, I have a feeling that gold color scheme of CA02 has probably something to do with this :wink:, though I could be wrong

ibasso_dx200_amp345-x15.jpg

In terms of the size, it's no different than other adapters that cost 5x-6x more like this EA adapter

ea_horus-02.jpg

And the CA02 adapter itself doesn't look that bad :wink:

ibasso_dx200_amp345-x10.jpg ibasso_dx200_amp345-x11.jpg

Regarding AMP4 4.4mm socket and its compatibility with different plugs, I suspect there are a few sources that manufacturer it with a slight difference in tolerance spec. I have a number of cables with 4.4mm termination, half a dozen of 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapters, and two DAPs with 4.4mm termination (WM1Z and DX200 w/AMP4) and some have no issues while others reguire headphone connector to be pulled by a hair to make a perfect contact. Something like a washer will do the trick. I'm also thinking, one of those 3-hole binder reinforcement hole stickers will work and they already have a sticky side: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IBUZ

Any mechanical part with have +/- tolerance built into the spec, that's where all the variation comes from.

Regarding the length of the adapter, yeah, it sticks out cause of Pentaconn part. You have an extended longer/thicker connector outside and also longer part inside where you solder the wires to 5 terminals, plus you need 2.5mm socket. Such single piece adapters are the most durable, but at the same it sticks out too far with a cable plug attached and you have to be careful not to break/bend it. An alternative is to have pigtail adapters, similar to CA01

ibasso_dx200_amp345-x01.jpg

These pigtail adapters kind of "extend" the cable. But you have to keep in mind, you are adding a different type of wire to your cable. CA01 is made out of the same conductors as the pure copper cable of IT01. I mean, we could be splitting hairs here, but some purist want to have pigtail adapters with the same wire material as the cable itself. Why adapter instead of direct 4.4mm termination? Because there are only a few portable sources with 4.4mm termination while majority still have 2.5mm. It gives you flexibility of using either one with a convenience of an adapter. Just a matter of picking which adapter you would like to use.

I haven't explored too many angled adapters, besides the one which comes with MEE Audio cable, but it was a little bulkier than I expected with cable connected. I like the one posted above from Japan, gotta look into it, looks very compact.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #11,755 of 22,021
Hey MrM....sorry i missed your post there!

Ok, if you have the LCD2's, you need to get AMP5. Without a doubt it will bring your LCD2's even more to life and bring the music into the present. I won't go back to AMP2 because AMP5 is that much better sounding. So yes it's definitely worth the upgrade. As of this time, the top two AMP modules are AMP4 and AMP5. They'll cover every IEM or headphone and bring out the best detail of the music.
Thank you , hope you are enjoying you're new LCD's. I will order AMP5 today.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #11,756 of 22,021
You know, after I saw your audeze, I went back to mine lcd-xc to try them with the amp4. They are heavy like hell, but I’m curious to see how they perform with the dx200.
:):):)
They sound awesome with AMP2 so I can only imagine what AMP4 or AMP 5 will sound like.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #11,758 of 22,021

Not recommended. The old connector in the old AMP4 provides a unique sound! Plus unique capacitors, these are no more!

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #11,759 of 22,021
AMP4 Alert: If you live near Singapore, there is a place that may have a few left. It's called Zeppelin and Co. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! Just ordered AMP 4.

They are located in Singapore but ship globally. Or, they ship to the US at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back