1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by paul - ibasso, Dec 17, 2015.
First

Back
765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774
776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785
Next

Last
  1. drmacman
    My opinion is no.
    If you've got a trouble that no sound from left channel, have a try inserting a washer (about 0.8mm thickness) like this. You can use Pentaconn without problem.
    IMG_1199.JPG

2. psikey
    Anybody know if it will be possible to buy a DX200 with just the 4.4 amp rather than the normal one?

Is Spotify/Tidal upscalled or bit perfect?

3. jerick70
    I asked Paul directly if iBasso was going to offer this. Paul said that the AMP1 is the only amp module that will come with a new DX200.

4. psikey
    Many thanks. The DX200 is edging up to most I want to pay so having to buy the 2nd AMP is a no go for me then.

5. jerick70
    You're welcome. You may send Paul an email and tell him your predicament. He may make an exception. Or you could look for a used DX200 and then buy an AMP4 new.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Marat Sar
    Whooh... close one :D Luckily the ibasso interconnect plug came with plenty of plastic rings.

The dx200 with amp1 sounds like a pretty bad product to me, tbh. With amp3 it's a budget contender for TOTL DAP, really good for the price. Amp4 removes that handicap, making the DX200 a serious contender for best DAP out there. It's still got some of that analogue warmth from amp3, only less. The sound is less forgiving, but you get a massive soundstage, improved in all directions. Most importantly in depth, which has always been the dx200s weak point, even with amp3. Well, no more. This is an unmistakably hifi sound, very ghostly, holographic, airy. Sounds like a million bucks. I'm hearing more details than with amp3, mostly because everything is further apart and extended in a great black space. (Although there is a slight addition in detail quantity too). As to being less forgiving, I don't miss the soupiness of amp3 too much. Slightly dirty rock recordings are still very enjoyable with amp4. You don't get a harsh sound like amp1, but it's harsher than 3.

Another standout feature of the soundstage is its height -- by far the best I've ever heard (I've only heard portable devices, mind you). Strange thing: hi-hats appear to be slightly above ear level in all recordings. This is a positional cue I haven't picked up on before, yet logical somehow.

There's less bass punch than amp3. The bass is generally leaner and closer to amp1, an element in the middle of the soundstage rather than filling the whole bottom. (Also contributing to that expensive hifi sound.) Personally, this is how I like it. Sounds elegant. Still reaches very deep. Bass texture is improved over amp3.

As to comparisons to other amps: detail is superior to Vorzüge Pure2, the most detailed portable amp I'd heard to this point. Pure 2 is even faster and livelier than amp4 but this comes at the cost of a forward treble, which is very fatiguing. Amp4 does not have a forward treble and is more laid back. The soundstage on amp4 is leagues above Pure2. It also beats Cayin C5, the best most holographic amp I'd heard prior to this. The Cayin is still more 3d, but its spacial presentation is more artificial. Amp4 is wider, about as deep and definitely a lot higher -- and way more natural. Like studio speakers present space. The Cayin c5 has more bass and an added treble presence. With the amp4 everything sounds quite linear, right up to higher treble. There, I'm hearing a little hotness with some recordings. I'm hoping it will settle down with burn in. Details are not comparable between Cayin c5 and amp4.

An ending note. The amp4 is ibasso taking great advantage of the amp module system. No one would produce a DAP that only outputs 4.4 balanced, without single ended or line out. It would be too niche. Yet this laser focus on one obscure yet great connector type -- and no other outputs to get in the way -- has produced a truly unique sound. At an even more unique price point. Ibasso and the Chinese industrial workers backing them are to be seriously commended for this.

How would you compare soundstage between amp4 and SP1000? Is SP10000 deeper than amp4? Wider? During amp3 times people were still confidently saying SP1000 is definitely better than dx200; yet now I'm hearing more and more of "they're on par, question of taste". Would you agree?

If yes, then the almost 2000 dollar difference between the two would be pretty crazy...

7. singleended5863
    If I were you just listen to amp1 for awhile which has decent SQ to my ears then get the amp4 module later on as upgrading.
    In my situation, my ears are demanding a much better SQ (I rather get them than pay extra for AK SP1000 which I almost did!) but my wallets don’t allow. Well what can I do now??? :triportsad:

8. jerick70
    I've upgraded the amp I use with the DX200 to a GoVibe Porta Tube. Very nice pairing. I use my DX200 at the office though and don't travel with it very much so I can do that easily.

20180212_170330.jpg

nazrin313 likes this.
  9. psikey
    My IEM's and headphones are terminated with quality 4.4mm cables and don't want to use adapters.

10. Bastianpp
    Hey
    Wich can be better?
    Amp4, burson soloist mk2 or gilmore little mk2?

11. Paul - iBasso
    Regarding the AMP4 and spacing. A thin spacer can be made as in the image above. The plastic often used over parts for packaging is the right thickness. We found there small variances in plugs. I also asked that we put the spacers with the AMP4.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/
    PinkyPowers, KEV G, twister6 and 2 others like this.
  12. jerick70
    I haven't heard the AMP4 or the GL MK2. But have heard the Burson and it is quite nice. I like the original Soloist and Conductor even better though.

Bastianpp likes this.
  13. Bastianpp
    I listened my ether flow with thr soloist mk2 and i like it, but i cant test gl mk2 and amp4

14. Layman1
    This right here is an example of iBasso's attention to detail and customer care.
    Thumbs up :)

KEV G and Dobrescu George like this.
  15. aaf evo
    My CA01 and CA02 arrived today. Now I wish I had an AMP4 to go along with it :wink:

Dobrescu George likes this.
First

Back
765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774
776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785
Next

Last