1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by paul - ibasso, Dec 17, 2015.
First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last
  1. oldmate
    Planned obsolescence.

2. emad
  3. oldmate
    I've got a Wolfson DAC in my old S3. But it is nice to see a new device with a removable battery. The trend of non user replaceable batteries for me is a solid reason not to buy said device.

4. H20Fidelity Contributor

I read some logical explanation about it once. Something about being able to keep the device thinner, also you can cater internal battery packs size exactly how you want which maximizes capacity.

With that said though besides not being able to switch out batteries don't worry about them tiring anytime soon. They will last years, years under normal circumstances. Long enough the device will look like a 20-year-old brick you no longer use.

5. Gerryhatrick
    Also more and more carriers are refusing to ship Li ion batteries unless they are inside the laptop/DAP etc.

6. audio123
    What is the MSRP for the DX200

7. Gerryhatrick
    Don't think we'll know the msrp until the product actually exists. Or if, when etc. See recent outpouring of frustration at the lack of info since December of last year.....,,

8. oldmate
    For LiPo cells you can not strictly speak of a shelf-life, since they basically start aging the moment the batteries are assembled.

Aging depends greatly on the state of charge and storage temperature. The more they are charged, the faster they age. On the other side they are damaged if they are discharged below a certain point they are unusable and can not be safely charged anymore (consumer device batteries prevent damage in that case by e.g. monitoring the cell temperature).

The thing that makes matters worse is that cells have self-discharge, and normal consumer device batteries have protection circuits embedded in them which consume a small amount of current even if the battery is not being used. So even if you made sure to store all your batteries at e.g. 40% charge, they will not stay at those 40% and slowly drift towards deeply discharged or unusable.

So sadly it's not as easy as to say that such cell have a shelf live of e.g. x years.

If carefully managed, a LiPo could last up to eight years. I think it's far more reasonable to expect about 3-5, though, as to reach that 8-year mark you have to do goofy things like not charge above 80%, and not discharge below 30%...

As most people here like to have the latest and greatest it should not be an issue. But for the person buying your 2nd hand DAP it most certainly is.

bcarr112281 likes this.
  9. BarDash

Bought the Opus 1 after waiting for the DX200, now they're coming out with the Opus 2 in Oct., Yes to say the least frustrating... Also not a big fan of "this is how IBasso does things"
    If the DP-X1 fixes its jack problems or the Opus 2 exceeds the Opus 1 overall I'll cut my losses and purchase one of those and never look back into IBasso again. 

10. howdy
    Hell, even Onkyo has a new version coming out soon, actually 2 new ones since the DX200 was mentioned almost a year ago. I still subscribe to see what it will be when it's finally released.
    I'm hoping for the best for ibasso and there are a lot of members here with big money who will by it regardless.

11. Gerryhatrick
    I feel the same way and my patience ran out sometime ago having been a loyal supporter of iBasso. I risked buying the Onkyo dp-X1 from a guy in the uk who had sourced it from Japan. An early model but the jacks are solid. It's a great unit!

12. bcarr112281

Hi, @emad -

I feel the same way you do. I believe HifiMan still offers DAPs with user-replaceable batteries, but I'm ambivalent about the quality of HifiMan's players.

Best regards,
    Brian

13. BarDash

Nice. I really do enjoy the sound quality of the Opus 1 which has gotten better with every firmware update but I really would like my next DAP to be able to stream from Tidal. Also 2 micro cards is a must for me or even possibly a single sdxc card especially given that Sandisk has just announced a 1TB card!

14. H20Fidelity Contributor

Thanks for the great post oldmate! [​IMG]

15. artpiggo
    14344154_1170852152953252_2804731794736254684_n.jpg

After seeing this, I consider to change my mind...

First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last