DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #4,036 of 22,019
  Astell & Kern AK300 vs iBasso DX200.

I think we need to view this mini comparison from multpile angles to be fair.

Areas like design are important to people, I feel deep down despite AK300 being slightly harder to hold with its sharpish corners (especially without the case) AK have developed some extremely appealing/modern looking players, I do prefer the appearance of AK300 personally overall, it does look closer to what a player should in 2016. Looks aside, I feel the iBasso is easier to wrap your hand around and hold without feeling awkward, especially when accessing the volume wheel and side controls. DX200 has very similar form factor to a (thickish) smartphone which leans in favour for an everyday device, but remember its quite a bit larger than the AK300 (see photo) .Sometimes when you hold an AK unit you can't help feel if you're doing it incorrectly or the units going to slide out of its case unless babied but it will fit inside most pockets. Visually yes, it won me over on day-1. The AK players are well designed.

We need to consider DX200's amp modules, full Android capabilities, web browsing, (not that I would) installing apps (even Angry Birds if you're crazy enough), this gives the iBasso a huge advantage in features and versatility at roughly the same price, AK300 does have Tidal to be fair but so can DX200! As much I think AK300's UI is pretty consistent without any bugs its also quite simple looking, straight forward, while the Android mode DX200 player is faster, more colourful and I  personally feel the swiping motions on DX200 are quicker to use than a back arrow located onscreen. Overall, I can't call an 'obvious' winner on the user interfaces but would lean on the appearance and speed of DX200's Android player, especially those swiping motions. It really is quite fast to use.. I must add though DX200 will need the ability in future firmware for on-screen volume adjustments within the app (we must have this soon).

And the sound...

AK300 has a unique house sound with a slight warm tilt to its mid-range, its relatively flat overall which doesn't lend any favours in energy but its timbre and atmosphere makes it sound quite classy, expensive to some degree, I'll always like that about the AK. it does however, always sound too relaxed for me, overly smooth around its mid-range and lacks high levels of detail. DX200 has a very big advantage for people who prefer resolution, clarity, and high energy presentations, AK300 has the kind of mid-range I'm always turning up the volume trying to achieve detail levels my DX90 can practically do, what you end up with is a slightly veiled or under-performing (call it what you will ) mid-range that's lacking vibrancy.

As an example, if you've ever plugged a portable amp into a source and thought it sounded a bit smoothed over, lacking transparency or missing detail this is how AK300 sounds to me with my Tralucent IEMs, like there's always a light veil over the sound, and it simply cannot keep up with DX200 in this regard. Soundstage wise and air AK300 can hold ground, also its layering but its just missing so much energy and authority compared to DX200 its a little laughable.

(I'm not sure what I'll do with my AK300 atm, its volume wheel is partly faulty, it sounds too relaxed for all my current IEMs and apart from looking pretty awesome and getting used from USB Audio out to my Tralucent DAC doesn't have much of a life here)

My DX200 has about 20-30 hours on it, so things would have only improved from here. When we consider DX200 is being compared to other flagship players its not really surprising this is the case. What's more interesting is these two players pricing, they're both around the same price in USD yet one strongly pulls away reaching into a higher realm.

Really nice review, concise is the word that comes to my mind, very useful.

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #4,037 of 22,019
  The only reason I haven't purchase this DAP yet is no Play Store. I won't be happy with a DAP that sounds as it intended by the manufacturer. I need Neutron or UAPP to alter the sound to my liking, and I doubt the PEQ that come with future FW can compete with Neutron. It's not easy for bass lover you know.

You know you can put neutron apk in it without problems, right?

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,039 of 22,019
  The only reason I haven't purchase this DAP yet is no Play Store. I won't be happy with a DAP that sounds as it intended by the manufacturer. I need Neutron or UAPP to alter the sound to my liking, and I doubt the PEQ that come with future FW can compete with Neutron. It's not easy for bass lover you know.

i see u get the x5iii but it cannot compete with dx200 on sq alone.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4,040 of 22,019

A more expensive one, I don't think there are many DAPs at this level at this price...

​Yes I agreed. DX200 is great for its price and the SQ is also very good as well, assuming you listen/use as is. Of course there's not a single DAP for everyone out there. For people like me who using EQ heavily (bass enhancing), the sound signature of a specific DAP is not that important to me. I altered the sound with EQ so much that its sound signature changes.

​It's a pity of such a good DAP at a great price but only some people can enjoy due to the limitation of functionality, and not because of SQ. Months of anticipating but ended up buying something else that I had no intention to buy to begin with. I'm not alone on this. Hopefully there're more good stuffs coming with future FW updates beside fixing.

DX200 is already making some people happy with its SQ. These folks turned on the device, listen to it, and happy. Great! But there're other folks out there need something else beside SQ. Why stop there and not getting more $ out of these people? A few extra apps or functions will open up a whole new market and it makes sense to make more $ from just a few extra apps.

​This is just my 2cents and I'm interested in this DAP just like anyone of you. There's no need to jump in and defense religiously for a piece of device. I'm just simply suggest/hope that DX200 is the closest to a perfect DAP that would satisfy lots and lots of people out there, potential buyers.... instead of just the current group or owners.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #4,041 of 22,019
​Yes I agreed. DX200 is great for its price and the SQ is also very good as well, assuming you listen/use as is. Of course there's not a single DAP for everyone out there. For people like me who using EQ heavily (bass enhancing), the sound signature of a specific DAP is not that important to me. I altered the sound with EQ so much that its sound signature changes.

​It's a pity of such a good DAP at a great price but only some people can enjoy due to the limitation of functionality, and not because of SQ. Months of anticipating but ended up buying something else that I had no intention to buy to begin with. I'm not alone on this. Hopefully there're more good stuffs coming with future FW updates beside fixing.

DX200 is already making some people happy with its SQ. These folks turned on the device, listen to it, and happy. Great! But there're other folks out there need something else beside SQ. Why stop there and not getting more $ out of these people? A few extra apps or functions will open up a whole new market and it makes sense to make more $ from just a few extra apps.

​This is just my 2cents and I'm interested in this DAP just like anyone of you. There's no need to jump in and defense religiously for a piece of device. I'm just simply suggest/hope that DX200 is the closest to a perfect DAP that would satisfy lots and lots of people out there, potential buyers.... instead of just the current group or owners.
it is a digital audio player not a mobile phone.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,042 of 22,019
@Tumyum

I do not think you were wrong in opinion, just may be you too passed a judgement - no offense meant.

This is how the device is. Many and come and say "single SD card am out", well there is only 1, nothing can be done as of now, so dont have to express that either.

Most prefer to discuss music features and basic moving around. As for Neutron player, all apk can be installed without an issue i thin.

@rest 

:frowning2:  my country is taking preorder for 1120$ for the device---- Damn :frowning2:

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4,043 of 22,019
  I get asked about Google Play Store. Some people want it and some don't. Those that don't want it state that they prefer APK because it isn't geo sensitive and you don't have to have all the other apps that can clog up an Android unit. We developed the DX200 as a music player. There are 3rd part apps that can be used on it and people are successfully doing this. I don't expect we will please everyone but hopefully the sound and music you get with the DX200 will please most.

NO PLAY STORE!  This is not a phone.  Just give me the Deezer APK controlled by onboard DAC and not Android's infernal limiting scheme and I'll be happy.  Oh, with the ISO playback of course :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #4,044 of 22,019

You can use other apps with the DX200. This has been voiced in the thread over and over. I don't use them but people are using apk to load 3rd party apps. I get a dap for the music not for the apps that can be on my phone that even clog up my Android phone. 

With over 400 hours on my DX200, I no longer have a dap that is as good. Last night I was listening with the Focal Utopia in balanced and I just sat with my chin resting on my hand enjoying the music. There is such a coherency and wonderful timbre to instruments, with no glare or digital overtones that is was mesmerizing. This is what it is all about but it is sometimes a distraction as well. lol 

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #4,046 of 22,019
Hi @Paul.
Not sure if this one has been covered but a small bug to report.
Have switched to using Mango OS rather than Android (songs out of order in Album mode) but am finding after turning the unit off and on, the currently playing album has been rearranged alphabetically rather than in track order. It is necessary to reselect the album and song to continue playing from where I left off.
Thanks, really enjoying the DX200, just sounds huge compared to the DX90 which I also loved.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,050 of 22,019

A more expensive one, I don't think there are many DAPs at this level at this price...

So your only concern and the main objective is to have a great EQ to further shape the sound?  DX200 already has a very capable 10-band graphic EQ just like any other DAP, and iBasso promises to look into addition of Parametric EQ which is a dream of any EQ-head
wink.gif
  You can side load apks, Spotify and Tidal works, and some reported there is a way to get Neutron paid version to work as well (I think people contacted Neutron developer for guidance).  Google Play store support has advantage, but also opens a can of worms that can seriously affect your system performance when you start abusing it by installing different apps, forgetting this is not a smartphone.  I mean, I can't speak for iBasso, but have seen some other manufacturers struggle with it.  Again, just a speculations, but if FiiO can get Google Play store on their DAPs perhaps iBasso can do the same but it's not an easy decision due to consequences...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back