DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,271 of 22,019
I imagine the reason for having a player only mode,is that it could save battery power,there are less apps with the potential to cause errors and thus, rather ironically at the moment, a more stable platform for the user.

I'm sure the lag will soon be resolved.

All bugs or problems with the FW are being filed by me. When we open after the holiday our software team will get to work on this  There will be some features added to the DX200 in the future. There are also some nice amps that will be coming out. I do not have a date at this time for the amps but they will add to the diversity of the DX200.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,272 of 22,019

All bugs or problems with the FW are being filed by me. When we open after the holiday our software team will get to work on this  There will be some features added to the DX200 in the future. There are also some nice amps that will be coming out. I do not have a date at this time for the amps but they will add to the diversity of the DX200.

That is good news paul, and if I may add please fix the cut off when the song is starting to play in both mango pure mode and mango app android mode, and please add the volume number when playing with third party app like spotify or tidal. I really like with how DX200 sounding so far, I even considering to sold Mojo right now to buy a new IEM 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #3,273 of 22,019
With FLAC 96kHz/24bit and MP3 320kbps using both Mango OS and Android OS, around 4.5- 5 hours passed, its battery life become 20% left.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #3,275 of 22,019
That is good news paul, and if I may add please fix the cut off when the song is starting to play in both mango pure mode and mango app android mode, and please add the volume number when playing with third party app like spotify or tidal. I really like with how DX200 sounding so far, I even considering to sold Mojo right now to buy a new IEM :ksc75smile:

One more thing just a reminder I had the same issues when downloading from tidal and the player goin' into sleep sometimes The player will crash and give me message launcher stop or something like that. It happened to me three times so far and always when I was downloading from tidal and when in sleep. And I have set the wifi setting to always keep on during sleep. I hope this will get fix on the next firmware.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,276 of 22,019
  With FLAC 96kHz/24bit and MP3 320kbps using both Mango OS and Android OS, around 4.5- 5 hours passed, its battery life become 20% left.

I am getting around 8 hours but normally I don't run the battery all the way down. The more cycles the shorter the life of the battery of any battery. I play it for how ever long I want to use it but if I am done I recharge it. I have a Anker battery pack that isn't all that large that has 20,100mA of storage so when I go somewhere for long, I have that if I need to charge. If walking around I normally do that for a couple of hours and the battery life is fine. I have the Sony WM1A and it has a fantastic battery life but I never need all of it but nice it is there. The sound quality is good but now that the DX200 has pretty well burned in, the DX200 is better in all areas. It has better timbre, soundstage and dynamics. I am even preferring the DX200 over my well used and very much liked Hugo, which surprises me as I figured no DAP would outdo it. This is in balanced mode. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,277 of 22,019
@Paul - iBasso The french distributor for the DX200 (son-video) announces 560 mW @ 16 Ohms in single ended and and no less than 2 W @ 16 Ohms, do you confirm? I don't think it was in the original spec post. Just curious, clearly right now I care more about how it sounds and I love it but I thought I'd share.

I look forward to those modules, specifically IEM focused :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,278 of 22,019
Brought dx200 (60 hrs of burn in) to work, along with LPG, while listening to Zeus XRA w/PWA 1960 4wire balanced.  Decided to have fun with blind test/comparison during the lunch break, and failed quite a few times.

The level of hissing is nearly the same (keep in mind, this is an extreme case with almighty Zeus).  But then, you get nearly identical level of transparency, retrieval of details, resolution, and sound separation.  Also, I hear nearly the same tonality, the same transparent neutral signature, and the same expanded dynamics.  Both have nearly identical transient response with a fast/clean note transition, maybe with LPG being a touch cleaner/faster (dx200 w/filter #4).

The only giveaway is 3.5mm SE LPG output which has a little wider staging in comparison to SE 3.5mm port of DX200, but BAL 2.5mm DX200 output has a wider soundstage in comparison to both SE LPG and its own SE 3.5mm port.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,279 of 22,019
Brought dx200 (60 hrs of burn in) to work, along with LPG, while listening to Zeus XRA w/PWA 1960 4wire balanced.  Decided to have fun with blind test/comparison during the lunch break, and failed quite a few times.

The level of hissing is nearly the same (keep in mind, this is an extreme case with almighty Zeus).  But then, you get nearly identical level of transparency, retrieval of details, resolution, and sound separation.  Also, I hear nearly the same tonality, the same transparent neutral signature, and the same expanded dynamics.  Both have nearly identical transient response with a fast/clean note transition, maybe with LPG being a touch cleaner/faster (dx200 w/filter #4).

The only giveaway is 3.5mm SE LPG output which has a little wider staging in comparison to SE 3.5mm port of DX200, but BAL 2.5mm DX200 output has a wider soundstage in comparison to both SE LPG and its own SE 3.5mm port.

Very nice to read more about DX200.You are doing a great job describing the sound,and surely the sound will change more once passed the 200 h mark.
How do you keep track of how long yoi have use it? Do you write it down every time you use it/charge it?

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,280 of 22,019
That's what I do

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,281 of 22,019

Very nice to read more about DX200.You are doing a great job describing the sound,and surely the sound will change more once passed the 200 h mark.
How do you keep track of how long yoi have use it? Do you write it down every time you use it/charge it?

Typically, during initial burn in I keep the DAP plugged in on a charger and keep it running for a week, checking it once a day to note the changes.  Even so I prefer to use iBasso burn in load, I can't monitor the sound in this case, and also running the burn in of the cable, iems, etc.  Today was an exception, I was itching to take dx200 to work, to play with it during my lunch break.  Also, it's a good test to see if anything fails or crashes when DAP is on a charger for days.  Once I'm done with a burn in, I go for a more critical listening and comparison, and also run battery discharge test with headphones plugged in (typically overnight).  I wouldn't recommend using iBasso burn-in load attachment for a battery endurance test.  It's great for burn in of the pwb, ckts, caps, etc., but doesn't give you a "typical" current draw associated with your headphones in everyday use.  So, for battery test, I pick my favorite pair of IEMs or cans, set it at a normal listening level, and let it play in a loop, draining.  That would be your best case scenario of battery performance.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,283 of 22,019

You shouldn't have posted that comment. Really....

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3,284 of 22,019
Crossed the 100h mark, very noticeable change is soundstage and imaging (I had a ahah moment where I was confused if the sound came from outside or in the music and that's with the Vega), the DX200 is so addictive! I am not sure it can get better but we'll see. I'd also say timbre is spot on and layering is getting better and better.

iBasso has struck a balance of incredible detail (low level detail is pretty amazing) with a smooth sound signature 

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #3,285 of 22,019

Typically, during initial burn in I keep the DAP plugged in on a charger and keep it running for a week, checking it once a day to note the changes.  Even so I prefer to use iBasso burn in load, I can't monitor the sound in this case, and also running the burn in of the cable, iems, etc.  Today was an exception, I was itching to take dx200 to work, to play with it during my lunch break.  Also, it's a good test to see if anything fails or crashes when DAP is on a charger for days.  Once I'm done with a burn in, I go for a more critical listening and comparison, and also run battery discharge test with headphones plugged in (typically overnight).  I wouldn't recommend using iBasso burn-in load attachment for a battery endurance test.  It's great for burn in of the pwb, ckts, caps, etc., but doesn't give you a "typical" current draw associated with your headphones in everyday use.  So, for battery test, I pick my favorite pair of IEMs or cans, set it at a normal listening level, and let it play in a loop, draining.  That would be your best case scenario of battery performance.

What I noticed while listening to both LPG and DX200 is that they both sounded bigger compared to other DAPs I have tried before. With Balanced out as I mentioned before DX200 seems a little wider and much deeper compared to LPG. LPG still seem to bring more details upfront. I think LPG has more forward, top-mid to treble region. But I think this is what causing LPG sound much shallower than DX200.

I have not tested much the 3.5mm on DX200 as most of my iems and HD800 have balanced cable. My DX200 has already past the 100hr since getting it. So far I never have experience any glitches like software error or restart/reboot. It has been continuously playing since I got it except when changing back and fort between pure music and Android mode. Though my use case is only limited to mango playing back files from the SD card.

Same goes with LPG, just get warm and sometimes noticeably hot to the touch while continuously playing back music. No software glitches as well. 

As for Battery life, DX200 is solid lasting for at least 7 hours. I also don't drain my battery all the way down. The lowest I let DX200 go is at 15% before plugging it for charging. I also notice that it seems to consume power rapidly using the burn-in cable than a real load. 

I also noticed that by using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter with my balanced cable iems on LPG, it somehow messes the sound a bit on LPG causing the sound to appear a bit attenuated and less detailed. Maybe it's just the quality of the adapter. So I always change to SE cable when using LPG and switch to balanced when using DX200.

LPG also last longer than DX200 which is about 10 hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back