DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #13,081 of 22,019
There also is an AMP5 which surpassed AMP2.
AMP2 has been discontinued for awhile, go for AMP5.

Thanks for the info. Will definitely also look into the AMP5.
- -

Curiously, any chance there will be/is already a tube (pronounced: "t-wooooo-b") amp in the works? My original game plan was to get a DAP to stack with an ALO CDM or something, but these modular DAPs (X7 series as well) have really caught my eye.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #13,082 of 22,019
Thanks for the info. Will definitely also look into the AMP5.
- -

Curiously, any chance there will be/is already a tube (pronounced: "t-wooooo-b") amp in the works? My original game plan was to get a DAP to stack with an ALO CDM or something, but these modular DAPs (X7 series as well) have really caught my eye.

I own the cdm and it is really out of the world. However it is a dac/amp not a dap.

Give DX200+amp4s a try imo it give me a sense of the warm tubish smooth mids sound.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #13,084 of 22,019
Apr 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #13,087 of 22,019
@ZzmadzZ: How is the sound pairing with Legend X + Ares II compared to Zeus + Ares II?

Legend X with ares2 (original not the plus) to me is too bassy. Mids and vocals are recessed with a wider soundstage. The bass is very very deep and strong. If you are a bass head, this is the iem to go for.

However for Zeus, it is a totally different signature, it has a very smooth and forward mids that will bring a smile to your face if you like a mids focussed type of sound. Bass is available but its presence acts as a complement more then a dominant presence. It is the direct opposite of the legend X's signature.

To boost the low ends of the zeus and give the mids more body, the 2+ pairing is perfect for the zeus, it sounds warm, smooth and alluring, with satisfying bass thuds.

Do not use legend x with a 2+ cable unless you are a crazy basshead lol.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #13,088 of 22,019
Guys, here's one more strange question from my side.
My regional reseller soon will get the shipment with 4s and I put a preorder just in case =)
I've got DX200, AMP5 and AMP4 (IT03, CB12, CA02). I'd like to hear from someone who listened to both 4 and 4s.
Do I need AMP4s also? Does it give some improvements, deteriorations, specific changes that make it differ and being worth the try?

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #13,089 of 22,019
When I'm playing 32bit int file on Neutron (turned on 64-Bit Processing and turned off USB Audio), ASLA status on USB Audio for DX200 shows that current format is S24_LE... Does DX200 downconverts 32bit int to 24bit?

Well, I'm just curious. I don't mind 32bit file is better than 24bit or not.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #13,091 of 22,019
current format is S24_LE
This format is actually 32 bits per sample. Neutron does not strip out the 8 least significant bits. AudioTrack and the further path transfer them as is as well. So, most probably, it does not only reach the XMOS chip, but is passed to the DAC as well. But who knows and how to check for sure?

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #13,092 of 22,019
I own the cdm and it is really out of the world. However it is a dac/amp not a dap.

Give DX200+amp4s a try imo it give me a sense of the warm tubish smooth mids sound.
She was asking for SE so AMP5 will be best bet. At least it is still available.

Funnily enough, my main reluctance to go balanced is because of this 2.5mm vs 4.4mm war that seems to be going on. If I had to pick, I'd prefer the 4.4mm I think. Just seems more sturdy. But alas, only concerning myself with SE right now.

As for my original comment about the CDM, was more thinking about getting a transport DAP to stack with it, something small/light and Android...

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #13,093 of 22,019
This format is actually 32 bits per sample. Neutron does not strip out the 8 least significant bits. AudioTrack and the further path transfer them as is as well. So, most probably, it does not only reach the XMOS chip, but is passed to the DAC as well. But who knows and how to check for sure?

Relieved. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #13,094 of 22,019
Guys, here's one more strange question from my side.
My regional reseller soon will get the shipment with 4s and I put a preorder just in case =)
I've got DX200, AMP5 and AMP4 (IT03, CB12, CA02). I'd like to hear from someone who listened to both 4 and 4s.
Do I need AMP4s also? Does it give some improvements, deteriorations, specific changes that make it differ and being worth the try?
I've both Amp4 and amp4s. Those two have similar sound signature but in different flavors.

Amp4s has slightly more depth and just a touch less width in my hearing.

Amp4s punches well in the lows and has a sparkle at the top. On some songs though it might sound a little too rich as compared to amp4.

Some will prefer one or the other. And some would prefer both. But don't miss the opportunity to give it a try. Both are equally good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back