DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #11,042 of 22,021
I bought one album from the Doors on this website, it was remaster and sounded like crap, completely different from the original album, waist of my money.

I still think Flac, Aiff, Wav or DSD are the best format for music, I see the MQA only useful for streaming, since it could deliver a higher resolution without the requirement of a fast internet connection.
If I have to buy music I'll stay miles away from the MQA.
Probably most of you are familiar with the term "Loudness Wars". Dynamic Range (DR) has been degrading over the years, and the funny thing is that in a lot of cases 1st CD editions have much better DR than Remastered HD recent releases, being the Led Zeppelin catalogue a very sad example. Here is an URL in case you want to check how good is a release from the super-important DR point of view: http://dr.loudness-war.info

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #11,043 of 22,021
What options (if any) are available to me on the DX200 to play them? Ideally in Mango, but I'm assuming that's not yet possible, so in Android, with or without a 3rd party app?
I believe USB Audio Player Pro can play/decode MQA

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #11,044 of 22,021
DSC_0108.jpg
mUx3KR

Dx200>bottlehead crack>hd650 :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #11,045 of 22,021
I saw FiiO released the Q5. It uses the switchable amp modules from the X7. Thought that was interesting. Kind of interested in getting one to compare iBasso's sound to FiiO's, since that's where I came from before switching sides.

Would be neat if iBasso releases a portable AMP/DAC that uses their own switchable amp modules as well.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #11,046 of 22,021
I saw FiiO released the Q5. It uses the switchable amp modules from the X7. Thought that was interesting. Kind of interested in getting one to compare iBasso's sound to FiiO's, since that's where I came from before switching sides.

Would be neat if iBasso releases a portable AMP/DAC that uses their own switchable amp modules as well.

That would be quite interesting, I agree!

Although I also find DX200 to be excellent as an overall DAP used alone, without any AMP and such, just used as a standalone uber driving force for anything one has

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #11,047 of 22,021
I use the DX200 line out when traveling in my FJ Cruiser into Aux. The sound is excellent even though I don't like the sound of the system when it isn't used. So the DX200 takes the system up many notches over the junk they installed from the factory. Obviously I am using the amp and speakers but it goes to show, even though I think the amp and speakers are just so-so, a good source really boosts the sound.

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #11,048 of 22,021
I bought one album from the Doors on this website, it was remaster and sounded like crap, completely different from the original album, waist of my money.

I still think Flac, Aiff, Wav or DSD are the best format for music, I see the MQA only useful for streaming, since it could deliver a higher resolution without the requirement of a fast internet connection.
If I have to buy music I'll stay miles away from the MQA.

What's the general opinion of MQS vs DSD or Hi-Rez Flac in terms of sound quality? Is it comparable? I've heard some feedback that it's inferior.

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #11,049 of 22,021
Feb 1, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #11,050 of 22,021
Ok, so I've got about 50 hours of burn in on my Amp5, and I am mightily impressed. I am comparing it to the Amp1, which is the only other Amp I have heard. Overall I'd say that the Amp5 is like cleaning a dirty window into the recording, there is a layer of murkiness that is removed, and clarity is added. Instrumental tone and color is increased, more soundstage is revealed, highs are significantly refined, and bass is more realistic. detailed, powerful. The sound is more organic and realistic, what's unusual to my ears is that upgrades that go in this direction usually end up having a darker, warmer tone, but that's not the case with the Amp5. The Amp5 has more sparkle and air and clarity in the treble, without adding edginess or sharpness that a lot of gear tends to have.

The only negative I have is that with bass heavy tracks on my DITA The Answer IEMs is that it's a bit too much bass. Although the bass does not overhang or obscure the rest of the music. I'm hoping that more burn in might even this out some. However, the increased clearer bass is a big plus with my Elears!

Also, I notice that the Amp5 requires about 5 or 6 clicks more volume than the Amp1 with low gain. Not sure if that translates into less battery time or not though.

Good Job iBasso! It's a major upgrade to my ears the DX200 sounds like something I might see paying another $1,000 for!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #11,051 of 22,021
MQA utilized a lossy compression, this is where the different is. Like I said it’s interesting considering using it on smartphones without killing all your monthly data.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Quality_Authenticated

Ah, for some reason I thought it was lossless. This is from Bob Stuart at Meridian! I remember when he was working on this 12 years ago. I sat on some panel with him when we were discussing the future of digital audio. Interesting to see the direction he went with this.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #11,052 of 22,021
That would be quite interesting, I agree!

Although I also find DX200 to be excellent as an overall DAP used alone, without any AMP and such, just used as a standalone uber driving force for anything one has

That's the main purpose and reason I bought this DAP, to be my standalone, no stack needed music player,.when not sitting on my desk.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #11,053 of 22,021
I thought the whole idea of MQA was ultimate quality and it was lossless. It can be unfolded once by software but to completely utilize it, hardware is needed.

I put the BlackGate 220uf 6.3 X4 and a 47uf NPX bypass in the AMP4. It shows what the 4 can do and with the BG's, and burning them in for nearing 200 hours, and they need forming, the sound is mind blowing. The AMP4 is exceptional stock, with Black Gates. . . . Then for fun I looked at the prices of real BG's. Even used ones go for a high price.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #11,055 of 22,021
I thought the whole idea of MQA was ultimate quality and it was lossless. It can be unfolded once by software but to completely utilize it, hardware is needed.

I put the BlackGate 220uf 6.3 X4 and a 47uf NPX bypass in the AMP4. It shows what the 4 can do and with the BG's, and burning them in for nearing 200 hours, and they need forming, the sound is mind blowing. The AMP4 is exceptional stock, with Black Gates. . . . Then for fun I looked at the prices of real BG's. Even used ones go for a high price.
Any chance of providing info & pics for this mod.
Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back