Dvorak's 9th Good Recording?
Apr 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

DutchGFX

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, quick question:

Any of you know a good recording of Dvorak's 9th: From The New World"? I can't get a recording worth listening too. I have loved the piece ever since I played it in band last year.

Thanks guys!

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 28
I'm interested as well.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 28
[Disclaimer] I honestly don't know anything about classical music. [/Disclaimer]

However, I have a recording of this in FLAC by The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vaclav Neumann from 1974. I enjoy it, but your mileage may vary. I don't know what people who are truly knowledgeable about classical music think of it.

It's from this collection:

It's a recording of Dvorak's 9th you could try anyway...

May 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 28
Many good recordings of a work this famous, but two good modern versions are Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, which is compellingly fresh and rethought out 

and Iván Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, which is a little pulled around and more controversial, but still first rate.

Either is a good choice.

May 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 28
Solti, Solti, Solti.   Thunderous, balls-to-the-wall performance.

Second - Reiner.

Have around 8-9 versions - these two stand tall.    

May 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 28
Ferenc Fricsay with Berliner Philharmoniker / RSO on Deutsche Grammophon is my all time favourite ... A must have recording of Dvorak

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005MJ13?pc_redir=1399629071&robot_redir=1

Note 3 tapatalking....

May 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 28
I have a bunch of recordings and several great ones have already been mentioned.

This one from Kublik and the Berlin Philharmonic is great, maybe my favorite. You can never really go wrong with the Berlin Phil.

As mentioned, the Solti recording with Chicago is great.

Fricsay's and Reiner's recordings are also very good.

May 21, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 28
Two very different approaches:

Vaclav Talich. Czech Philharmonic. Supraphon. 1954.

Toscanini. NBC Symphony. RCA. 1953.

May 21, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 28
Hi,

I've got the Solti, Kubelik and Reiner versions referenced above, plus the Naxos issue - I believe it was by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra directed by somebody or the other.

The Naxos version is OK, nothing exceptional about the performance or the recording. My favourite among the others is the Solti/CSO version - it has got a drive which is not as pronounced in the Kubelik/BH and Reiner/CSO efforts; it is - for lack of a better phrase - more rock'n'roll - to my ears, at least.

Yeah. If I were to own just one From the New World, it would probably be Solti's. Both Kubelik and Reiner are excellent, though.

May 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 28
Two very different approaches:
Vaclav Talich. Czech Philharmonic. Supraphon. 1954.
Toscanini. NBC Symphony. RCA. 1953.

Ha! Someone knows their Dvorak!

May 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 28
I have several copies as well.  The oldest is a tape from over 20 years ago.

Honestly though, it's all pp, though for me it's the one off hdtracks that's no longer there my favourite (not avail in 96/24 at the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back