DVI Monitors and HDCP
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

silverstonettl

Head-Fier
Hey, So I recently bought a new Macbook Pro and am now looking to buy a monitor to use at my desk. I'd love the new Apple LED display but the price makes it impossible so I've started to look at two Samsungs, the 2493 and T240HD. Both have the usual connections and HDMI. My question is whether these displays will be able to display all content running off my computer in the future? I know that there is now some copy protection feature on the new notebooks in order to ensure the monitor can play some content? Does anyone know if these monitors which use DVI connections will be able to play that content or will I find in 2 years that the monitor is incompatible with certain files?

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 12
AFAIK you are looking for anything that says it has HDCP support, as long as it says that you should be fine. I believe that both of those are good to go in that department.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 12
Theres software out there which allows for HDCP content to be played back over regular DVI (which is whats inside HDMI basically). It's from the same people that brought you CloneCD. The cost of the software is often less than the difference between a monitor choice where one screen has HDCP and one doesn't.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 12
The company that makes CloneCD has software for DVDs but I'm thinking about files gotten through iTunes. I don't buy or rent anything now but just in case.
Also, does anyone know if all displayport monitors are HDCP compliant? I know the newest revision of displayport is but I'm not sure what version the Dell does or what not?

This new displayport issue sort of sucks and really makes me wish I had an extra $400 to spend on Apples despite how limited it is. The design, LED backlighting, and compatibility are very appealing.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 12
The 2493 is def. HDCP compliant, it seems like the T240 however is not.

I would just save up your pennies for that amazing Apple LED display.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 12
After giving it a lot of thought, I think what I intend to do is sell my Macbook Pro and buy a top-of-the-line Macbook and Apple LED display. If the screen is no longer a consideration because of the external display, I can certainly do without the expresscard slot and firewire. I am not sure how I feel about losing the better graphics card but as much as I like to kid myself, I don't really need the extra graphical punch since I don't play games, run windows, or use programs like Photoshop frequently. I know Snow Leopard will take better advantage of the better chip but whatever.

I looked around at the other monitors but like I read somewhere, the display is basically a piece of furniture I intend on keeping for a while. Given that, I think it makes sense to buy something I actually really like than settle. I saw the display at the store today and it is just really nice. Also, Expercom.com has a sale on the new display for preorders and is selling it for $814 shipped.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Definitely. As for saving my pennies for it like you said, I think its funny the effect Apple's products and just presentation can have on me.

I figured, okay, I don't have the $430 plus (for a used Dell 2408) I was going to spend on the screen but I have a card for 0% and basically just a portion of the computer that I owe so paying off the $450 is easy. Then after seeing a Dell 2408WFP in person, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied. I went to Best Buy and looked at the Samsung monitors and was a little underwhelmed. I thought the same of the HPs they had. My main issues with them were the lack of a displayport connection, the poor designs (with the Samsung having the contrast ration ENGRAVED on the bezel) and the matte screens. I have to saw after 3 weeks I wouldn't want to go back to a matte screen. Then I went to the Apple store and began the process of trying to justify spending an extra ~400 than I planned, 400 I don't have.

Reading around, someone justified the price by saying they will probably have the monitor several years and like any major piece of furniture they will be around, they want it to look nice; I of course agree.

So Dell ~$430 + I figure the nice design is worth $150, then I figure it's high quality and LED and I figure, eh, $50. Then I figure that I'm saving myself from having to buy an extra power cord I planned on getting there is another ~$50 I'd save. I'm not sure how I justify the last $75 (I got it from Expercom after all for $809.00) but I'm trying not to think about the price too much. The $8XX number is psychologically very tough for me considering what I earn.

And of course now I had to buy the wireless keyboard (and bought a black macbook keyboard with the intention of switching the keys), a logitech MX revolution mouse, and an mStand for the macbook. Ehhhhh I bought it all off eBay so I saved a lot but like with the headphones deal, one thing just leads to another.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 12
Well I am sure every time you use the monitor you will enjoy it and be glad you spent the extra cash on it. You should have it for quite a long time so I am sure it was a wise investment.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 12
My genius plan didn't pan out because I'm realizing that selling the computer and getting at least $350-400 back as I hoped to do is very hard if not impossible. Its possible to get the computer new for $1700 new with a current Live.com promotion and then there is the fact that eBay and PayPal both take a cut. Craigslist has been a bust as well and I even tried facebook but kept getting shady figures wanting the computer sent to everywhere in the world which made me think something strange was going on.

I was actually getting happy at the idea of a smaller notebook to take around but I'll just keep the Pro because seems like for $300 its not worth switching. Still have to get that screen though

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
If you know someone in University you can ask them to use their educational discount and pick it up at $827. The screen is an S-IPS model which accounts for the seemingly expensive monitor. S-IPS is considered one of the best panels for color reproduction.

But i digress...if you want to check out other options take a look at the [H]ardocp Display Forum, they might have a glossy monitor in the size and price range you are looking for

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 12
An eternity and a lot of money later, my setup is complete. Logitech dinovo edge keyboard, MX Revolution mouse, mStand, MBP, and the 24" LED cinema display.

3107575727_00bbd83909_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back