DVI Cable help
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently moved my gear around so I now need a longer cable for my monitor. Right now I'm running a VGA cable but since I need a new cable, I figured I might as well upgrade to DVI at the same time. I'm not really looking for something high end, just something to ge the signal from A to B so I figured a DVI cable like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/15FT-DVI-D-DUAL-...QQcmdZViewItem) would be fine for me and still an upgrade compared to the stock VGA cable I'm using right now.

The thing is that the price is almost the same for the 10ft and the 15ft versions so I would like to purchase the 15ft version as it will allow me more flexibility in the future but I also understand that there is a certain length restriction for DVI cables. So my question is whether or not I will see a performance degradation when comparing the 10 and 15ft lengths, should the 15 ft be ok? Or should I just get the 10? Thanks in advance!

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the help! I have another noob question though, if the output on my graphics card is a DVI-I but the input on my monitor is a DVI-D, I can just use a DVI-D to DVI-D cable since the analog section can't be used anyway right? Also for a 10-15ft run, do you think there would be a noticeable performance difference between 24 and 28awg conductors or would it just be more beneficial for longer runs?

Edit-BTW I'm running an EVGA 7600GS if that helps any. I think it does digital out of the DVI-I and isn't just an analog pass through but I have no clue when it comes to graphics cards.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 9
DVI-I outputs both digital and analog signal
DVI-D is digital only
DVI-A is analog only (do devices that use this even exist?)

According to wikipedia the length limitation on DVI is 15'

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Another thing I notice is that it depends on the age of your monitor. I have an old 19" LCD that only looks good via DVI. I also have a newer Samsung that doesn't have as much visual difference with DVI vs VGA. Works out well because I can have two computers plugged into it: I have a stripped down computer just for rendering that I have on the VGA side. The graphics thru it are even crisper then the older DVI LCD screen I have
eek.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I know that super shielded (they are very thick) VGA cables make a big difference for longer runs, and I'm sure it helps with DVI. FWIW, I have a 25 foot DVI cable and have no problems (it's very thick). You can pretty much tell the quality difference in VGA and DVI cables from just their thickness alone, rather than fancy gold plating, etc.

-Ed

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the help guys. I found some DVI cables from Monoprice that are supposed to be very high quality for the price so I think I will be purchasing either a 10 or 15ft version of their 24awg DVI cable since the thicker awg wire is supposed to aid with longer length runs.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 9
The ones that Monoprice are selling are built by the Chinese company Copartner, the same company that is custom manufacturing many of Blue Jeans Cable's video cables. BJC is even selling less expensive Copartner cables under the "Tartan" brand. Link.

So, you should be good to go.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back