Dvd writer that reads at 1x or 2x
Dec 11, 2007 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Way

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know of a current writer(prefer sata)that will allow me to throttle dvd's and cd's to 1x or 2x using drive speed or cd bremse.I mostly shop at ncix in Vancouver for computer stuff.I have checked on other forums and response has been null.Probably should have gone here first.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 6
My guess is that most newer drives aren't capable of this feature. Maybe an older or more expensive drive might, but still, why do you need to burn at such a low rate when it's not necessarily the ideal speed? It's possible to actually have more errors at too-slow or too-fast rates.

The guys at CDFreak test for ideal speed, and with most current drives, it's somewhere between 16-32x.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
I am looking for 1x or 2x "read" speed to quiet the drive(for a quiet computer and listening session) while watching movies and listening to cd's.cd bremse and nero drive speed are free utilities that allow this.Not all drives are capable of going that low .Samsung sh-202j(pata) is as low as 4x,with a high pitch squeal at 4x on dvd's.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Hmm... That's strange. I have a few different NEC drives (3520A-3550A) and they're virtually silent at 8x with DVDs. 16x is quiet for regular CDs.

Maybe your drive is particularly noisy?

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 6
When my q6600 is underclocked my hard disk is the loudest component in my system and it is one of the quietest 3.5" disks out there.So when watching dvd's the squeel at 4x would bug me!
Does anyone have any experience with the latest lg,nec,sony, or samsung?

By the way infinitesymphony, what is the lowest read speed youve achieved with your nec's?Do you use cd bremse or drivespeed?

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 6
I use Nero DriveSpeed as this seems to do the trick. I don't really need it in the Antec P180 case, as the front panel provides some sound isolation.

The lowest stock speed I've seen on the NECs is 4x, though I've read of people using CDSpeed to go down to 1x. It may also be possible with one of the many hacked firmwares out for the drives. Since NEC has joined Sony to form Sony NEC Optiarc, the quality of some drives has declined.
frown.gif

I've had good luck with a Pioneer DVR-111D, and many people recommend the 112/212.

Lite-On drives are known for being loud, and this echoes my experience with one of their popular CD-RW drives.

Several people recommend LG for quiet drives, but many people also say that the Samsung drives tend to be quiet, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back