DVD/VHS player advice?
Dec 28, 2004 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bob Ebophalus

100+ Head-Fier
My parents are looking to buy a DVD player that can record to DVD from a VHS tape. This isn't for serious home theater or anything, just coming somewhere close to modern technology
rolleyes.gif
. The price range is somewhere around $300. Specific models or just generally good brands would be fine.

Dec 28, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 8
not sure of the name brands, but i dont think many major brands make these, but i know ive seen very low priced machines at wal mart. no idea of the quality but if thats not a major issue i would urge you to check them out.

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 8
any of the "Go Video" machines.Most way less than your price point and can be found for around $75-$100.

I use one by them but branded"Cine' Vision" which cost me $69 at Radio shack last year and it is as good as my previos DVD player that cost me $399 without the VCR.

oops !

You want to record to disc from tape ?

I don't know that there is such a combo beasty out there.DVD to Tape yes,Tape to DVD I dunno.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
any of the "Go Video" machines.Most way less than your price point and can be found for around $75-$100.

I use one by them but branded"Cine' Vision" which cost me $69 at Radio shjack last year and it is as good as my previos DVD player that cost me $399 without the VCR.

oops !

You want to record to disc from tape ?

I don't know that there is such a combo beasty out there.DVD to Tape yes,Tape to DVD I dunno.

I made the same mistake at first, then I re-read just before posting and changed my post! I think that you at least need a hard drive recorder to get the analog source into digital format. Then it should be easy enough to burn it to dvd. Maybe one of the dvd recorders that can record using TV as a source? The quality is not going to be very good.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 8
does sound like a video capture device and a"software" DVD recorder will be needed and not an "all-in-one" commercial device.They may be out there but I am not aware of one.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't think most people want to burn theatrical release movies themselves because the quality will be awful when you watch: poor resolution, lots of artifacts, etc. Also, most new tvs are all hd ready, and the new dvd recorders will have some form of enhanced quality as well, either blu-ray or hd-dvd. When you consider that, the only tapes that most people want to convert to dvd are home movies, and there are plenty of services that do that. So, considering the limited market, most companies wont want to put out the machines.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 8
I believe the WalMart unit went for $114. Obviously it cannot copy Copy Righted movies. But the stuff a family is most likely to shoot - weddings, graduations, birthdays, holidays - will copy over to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back