DVD player thru 5.1ch receiver
Mar 13, 2006 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, this might sound like an incredibly stupid question, but here goes:

My understanding is that I can purchase a DAC and use the optical output of a DVD (or CD) player as a source. In doing so, I am effectively using the player strictly as a transport and bypassing any DAC circuitry inside the player.

Continuing this logic: If I connect my Denon DVD player to my rather pedestrian (IE: non-audiophile) Onkyo 5.1 receiver using an optical cable or a digital coax, I must be bypassing the DAC in the DVD player and therefore utilizing the DAC in the receiver to process the signal, right?

If true, this means that even though Denon boasts a Burr-Brown DAC, I would never really utilize it since the player only has 3 audio outputs: digital coax, digital optical, and 2 channel analog, and I am using the digital coax (for 5.1 ch audio). Correct?

If I wanted to use the DAC in the DVD player for audio Cd's, I suppose I would have to also connect the analog RCA outputs from it to the "CD" input jacks on the Onkyo, and select "CD" as the input source on the receiver, right?

I'm asking this mostly out of curiosity, since I only really use this set-up for watching DVDs, or for background music, never for critical listening with my headphones.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 4

Senn20

500+ Head-Fier
Yes. You would be using the reciever's dac.

No. You don't need to use the analog outputs for 2 channel audio.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 4

Senn20

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
So even though I'm using the digital coax connection between the DVD player and receiver, the DVD player DAC is being utilized for audio CDs?

No. You're still using the reciever's dac.

Users who are viewing this thread