DVD playback Sluggish with the 9700!?!
Oct 23, 2002 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Using the 2200+ with ATI 9700, after installing a new Maxtor HD and the new Cat 2.3 (complete clean install, using XP SP1), I find that DVD play back stutters a bit, especially when the camera pan across the screen. It's quite distracting. Does anyone have this problem and how to you fix it?

I've tried Hardware accelerate both on/off, both did nothing to solve it.

And I've read that enable the DMA might help, I don't know where this is, or how to do it, anyone?

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 16
What is Cat 2.3? What program are you using to play DVDs? As for DMA, under Win98 you could look up the dvd-drive properties in the device manager, and there would be a check-box for DMA on one of the tabs. Haven't looked to see if it's the same in XP, but you should enable it if it's not already enabled.

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 16
For XP, you will have to look under device manager and check the properties for the IDE controllers. (primary or secondary depending on where the DVD drive is)
I have yet to see a XP install that didn't already have DMA set BTW.

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 16
check irq's, make sure video agp is on it's own irq, the sound is on it's own irq, there's no irq sharing between the two, the video is not cached or shadowed, the bios is not cached or shadowed.

next make sure your swap space is set to 1.5 - 3 x ram.

enable dma in device manager.

close out as many system tray apps as you can before playing a movie.

i take it you're using ATI's excellent dvd player.

are there any hard disk overlays or hard disk utilities running (like Western Digital does, i.e., S.M.A.R.T.)

obviously you've updated to the latest sound and video drivers, right?

now try trurning on or off vertical sync for your monitor/adapter.
what resolution are you playing at and what is the colour depth? do you have 32-bit z-buffering set? and are you using a tft or lcd screen? if you are you'll be forced to set it to it's native mode (resolution) before continuing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
listening to Enigma, "the Cross of Changes" album, "Out From The Deep". holy ELO! great tune!

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Right

Ram - I have 1024 MB of it and the swap file is at 1.5G

DMA IS enable - it's set at auto detect

The DVD still stutters even with a fresh reboot

Video Drivers is the latest (Cat 2.3), Sound is off the CD (Audigy)

Using a Samysun 17" Syncmaster 750S CRT Monitor - brilliant image quailty - could be because of the ATI 9700 also.

Using PowerDVD Xp, don't have the ATI DVD player, where can I get one?

I'll try the vertical sync on/off thing tonight, see if that helps.

The thing is that there should be no reason for it to stutter, everything is fast enough. My old PIII450 with 128MB RAM with TNT2 Ultra plays DVD smoother (but looks a lot worst)

Oct 24, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 16
try setting your monitor refresh rate higher. 85hz is optimal for the human eye (i hear).

my monitor at home runs at only 60hz, which not only fries my eyes in their sockets, but if i try to scroll internet explorer at full speed, the framerate is too high and the screen starts bugging out. same thing when i disable vsync and try to play a game. anything past 60fps and it messes up.

dvd playing is generally a software thing, unless you have a dvd decoder card. just checked ati's homepage and i couldn't find anything about the 9700 having a built in dvd decoder. so it's prboably a software thing.

also, another idea: is that hard drive slave to your dvd-rom drive? it shouldn't be.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Try copying the dvd to your HD to rule out some stuff. If it stutters off your HD, then you can rule out the DVD rom, if it doesn't that's probably where your problem is.

Here is what I have used with power dvd xp:

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Turn it off in both, it'll improve your frame rates. Personally, I always try to use the highest refresh rate as possible. You should have gotten a copy of the ATI DVD player as part of your ATI multimedia software when you bought the card, at least I know my retail 8500 came with it. I don't know if you get it with OEM versions though. Good things to get are Rage3d tweaker and DVD Genie to optimize your settings. Rage3d can look a little daunting with all of the settings, but it gives a lil explanation for most of the settings. For some reason, my ATI card defaults to disabling using the AMD 3DNow! optimizations, so you should enable those (though I don't know if it makes a diff). There's also three dvd options that should be enabled. They usually are by default but can't hurt making sure. DVD Genie isn't as useful for PowerDVD as it is for WinDVD, but it's a way to make sure you have all the correct settings and you're making the most usage of your system. If you don't have the ATI player, download the WinDVD 4.0 demo and see if it will work. I had stuttering on the WinDVD but when I switched to the PowerDVD, it was fixed. Generally it's a small incompatibility that's causing the problem and sometimes if you switch between one of the players it'll go away. Though if all of this doesn't help, I'd be more than happy to trade my computer with you
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 16
Oh, Cat == Catalyst drivers, duh. Anyways, have you tried playing a regular video file off a cd in that dvd drive? Also, what is the Secondary Master?

Oct 24, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Secondary Master is my CD-RW (strange but that's how it was set up when I bough it). Windows MEdia files plays fine on it, watched a Music Vid and it seem fine. Games are fine too, Medal of Honor with 6X AA & 16 X AF anyone?

Seriously, my DVD plays fine now, I'll be more than happy to trade with you. I mean, it's not like you NEED 6X AA in Medal of Honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back