DVD DTS 5.1 is this new?
Oct 21, 2003 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I was at the local Hastings the other day, and noticed a boatload of audio DVDs that were DTS 5.1 There was also some DVD stereo audio disc's there with them. I was surprised at the age of the albums in DTS. Hotel California, Fly Like an Eagle and a couple old Fleetwood Mac albums.
Is this all new? I have never seen these before. I like the idea of surround sound music, and I wasn't finding enough of it in SACD.
For me these would be better than SACD, if they sound good. I didn't buy one because I was getting some other stuff, and $17.95 for an old album I already have seemed a bit much. After the Bat Out of Hell multichannel SACD I am a little gun shy at trying any more old recordings, reformatted to multichannel. Newer stuff would be pretty good, I would think.

Oct 22, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 5
No, these aren't really new. A lot of these (surprisingly) were available on CD (you couldn't play them on a regular CD player, though, you had to either have a DVD player that could decode internally, or you had to connect it digitally to a receiver that could decode it.

Not sure if these are high-res, or just repackaged CD's. Make sure that they do, indeed, say DVD, and not just DTS, because then they're just the same thing, repackaged.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 5
The ones I looked at said DVD. Some said DVD audio, but also said they would play on any machine that had the symbol DVD.
These were in the same size package as regular CDs but they were in a special section with the music videos.
I always thought DVD audio was a different format that wouldn't work on my Soany SACD DVD player. Maybe I was wrong about that.

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 5
The are concert-recordings on DVD with multichannel DTS-sound. Eagles is good. Don Henley has some (2?) out as well. Sheryl Crow, the new Peter Gabriel which isn't out yet, The Corrs and lots of others are available too. Many of them are great performances, but DTS alone doesn't make a good concert (sadly...)

/U.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
The ones I looked at said DVD. Some said DVD audio, but also said they would play on any machine that had the symbol DVD.
These were in the same size package as regular CDs but they were in a special section with the music videos.
I always thought DVD audio was a different format that wouldn't work on my Soany SACD DVD player. Maybe I was wrong about that.

It is a different format, but they usually have a layer that's playable on regular DVD players. It's usually not as good, but still surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back