DVD Audio now more popular than SACD
Apr 27, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 35
It seems to me that more often now, DVD-A is included as a feature with even buget players, e.g. Toshiba 4900, more often than SACD is included -- am I right about this?

If so, it might explain why people are buying more DVD-A players -- just icing on the cake, and it may be why DVD-A media sales are up.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort
I read on sa-cd.net that above survey left out hybrid SACDs.

Which I think should be the case. As most of the hybrid sales usually are bought by redbook-only player owners, not SACD owners.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Which I think should be the case. As most of the hybrid sales usually are bought by redbook-only player owners, not SACD owners.

Why would you think that? I purchase only hybrid (dual-layer) SACD's. I avoid single-layer SACD's unless I already own the redbook version too.

On one hand it is a hedge-betting strategy, but it also allows me to play the CD in a non-SACD player (car, portable, etc.) if I wish.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Why would you think that? I purchase only hybrid (dual-layer) SACD's. I avoid single-layer SACD's unless I already own the redbook version too.

On one hand it is a hedge-betting strategy, but it also allows me to play the CD in a non-SACD player (car, portable, etc.) if I wish.

Me too. If I had an option to buy a hybrid over a single-layer SACD, I would choose the hybrid 10 times out of 10.

But what im saying is that most hybrid sales are bought by non SACD owners. They get hybrids for a few extra bucks even if the dont have a player now thinking that they will be able to play them if they get an SACD player later. I think there was a thread about it last time, but the search is dead right now.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 35
the last four SACD's that I bought have been Hybrid, I prefer Hybrid just in case SACD goes belly up, which I don't think it will, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

My first three SACD's that I ever bought a couple of years back are SACD single layer, but I've got CD versions of them too.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

But what im saying is that most hybrid sales are bought by non SACD owners. They get hybrids for a few extra bucks even if the dont have a player now thinking that they will be able to play them if they get an SACD player later.

I don't know anyone personally (present company here at Head-Fi excepted) that would spend the premium on a hybrid SACD over a much less expensive redbook version if they didn't already have an SACD player. I don't pretend to speak for all the masses, but if I didn't own an SACD player, even I probably wouldn't either.

I think your assumption would only be valid if there were not extra premium cost on the SACD, or there was only one (hybird) version of the CD available at all.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I don't know anyone personally (present company here at Head-Fi excepted) that would spend the premium on a hybrid SACD over a much less expensive redbook version if they didn't already have an SACD player. I don't pretend to speak for all the masses, but if I didn't own an SACD player, even I probably wouldn't either.

I think your assumption would only be valid if there were not extra premium cost on the SACD, or there was only one (hybird) version of the CD available at all.

Yup your right. But some very popular hybrids like Pink Floyds and Norah Jone's cost the same compared to its CD counter part (im speaking of Amazon prices here). Which makes it automatic for everyone to get the hybrids over the normal CD.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 35
This survey was merely asking people how many SACDs they had bought and how many DVD-As they had bought. It did not count actual retail sales at the POS, and it left out hybrid SACDs. Here's a huge thread discussing the controversy: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32466

Suffice to say, not many people believe that the results of the survey reflect anything other than the DVD-A council's wet dreams.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
This survey was merely asking people how many SACDs they had bought and how many DVD-As they had bought. It did not count actual retail sales at the POS, and it left out hybrid SACDs. Here's a huge thread discussing the controversy: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32466

Suffice to say, not many people believe that the results of the survey reflect anything other than the DVD-A council's wet dreams.
orphsmile.gif

Well that is good news for me since my player plays only SACDs
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie

The problem is that more and more manufacturers are going to hybrid so you need to include these to get an accurate picture of sales. Because you can get a hybrid disc at comparitive costs to a regular CD shows that SACD is penetrating the market better despite whether or not they're being actually used in a SACD player.

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 35
I'd buy more SACD's, but the problem is that when I go to the stores, their selection of SACD's are quite paltry. They often only have one small section (as in one side of one display bookshelf). DVD-A is usually present in a wider selection..

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 35
At those % posted above...who cares? It appears these new formats are dead in the water and consumers wont be jumping onto dvd-a and/or sacd anytime soon.

and yeah, the sacd selection stinks, imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back