DVD-Audio and SACD - have these formats a future?
Mar 7, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #16 of 31

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Posts
2,254
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, am I depressed. I had no idea eveyone was so glum. I'm banging my brains out in a different thread in the source forum to try to figure out how to rip/download and play high res from some kind of hdd device, and i've gotten zero response.... Does that mean the only way to manipulate the 50-60 sacd's/dvd-a's i've got is to keep swapping them in and out of the player? I've read up a little on ripping hi res formats, and it certainly doesn't seem like there's the quick and easy solution I was hoping for, and i've yet to find high res downloads of what I want to listen to.


actually keep reading there is a quick and easy solution for DVD-A last i checked

SACD is simply stuck with using the "analog hole"
 
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 31

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Posts
898
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, am I depressed. I had no idea eveyone was so glum. I'm banging my brains out in a different thread in the source forum to try to figure out how to rip/download and play high res from some kind of hdd device, and i've gotten zero response.... Does that mean the only way to manipulate the 50-60 sacd's/dvd-a's i've got is to keep swapping them in and out of the player? I've read up a little on ripping hi res formats, and it certainly doesn't seem like there's the quick and easy solution I was hoping for, and i've yet to find high res downloads of what I want to listen to.


Just put your discs in the shelves, then download their iso`s from torrent sites,
smb has done it for you buddy,
Then Foobar dvd audio plugin
 
Mar 8, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #18 of 31

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Posts
380
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just put your discs in the shelves, then download their iso`s from torrent sites,
smb has done it for you buddy,
Then Foobar dvd audio plugin



confused_face(1).gif
I think I understand about 15% of that. I've avoided torrents thus far, but they're out there for DVD-A? Is Foobar all that will play back DVD-A? I was thinking of using Mac Mini/Macbook as server. Any suggestions there? And how about the SACD's?
 
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 31

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
No, I really do not think so.
They have both been around for years but still not gained much popularity. That alone should tell the story
 
Mar 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 31

Sparky14

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Posts
391
Likes
11
I wouldn't fret over the demise of these formats. I suspect that they both would have died within minutes of the SACD/DVD-A release of any Taylor Swift album. Sometimes, excessive compression is a good thing.
 
Mar 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 31

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Posts
3,094
Likes
24
They arent dead as such, and I dont know about the future. But one thing that led me to invest in SACD's as such is that the cd's dont go waste since most of them are hybrids and have the SACD mastering on the cd layer as well. So I'll have a bunch of well mastered cd's instead of SACD's since I dont rebuy cd's that I have on SACD anyway.
 
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 31

SirDrexl

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Posts
163
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif
I think I understand about 15% of that. I've avoided torrents thus far, but they're out there for DVD-A? Is Foobar all that will play back DVD-A? I was thinking of using Mac Mini/Macbook as server. Any suggestions there? And how about the SACD's?



If a DVD-Audio disc is ripped the way that most people do with CDs, it will be in some kind of PCM format like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, etc. So, all you need there is for your playback chain to support whatever bit depth/sample rate they use, like 24/96 or whatever it happens to be (it depends on the disc). Note that some DACs only support up to 48khz.
 
Mar 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #26 of 31

mesasone

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Posts
433
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thing happened yesterday. Before learning that I was getting ripped off on sq I used to dl mostly 256 kbps mp3 off Amazon. Now I get the cds and rip them to flac. Well, yesterday I just had to hear an old Fate's Warning album and I wasn't going to wait, and since it was only $7.92 on Amazon I went ahead and downloaded it. Well lo and behold it's 320 kbps. Fascinating. This is the first time I've ever gotten this mp3 quality from Amazon. I wonder if this will soon become standard as more people catch on to the fact that they are listening to crap.


I believe the majority of Amazon's downloads are actually LAME -V0 which is acceptable to me (as long as the price is right!). I've noticed the prices have been creeping up on the MP3 store though, which is not cool at all. Just when they (the music industry) had me purchasing music again, they have to screw it up. I'm sure this trend will continue until we're looking at $13.99 for an album in MP3 format.
 
Mar 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #27 of 31

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Posts
898
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're dead.


TRY PT Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A
 
Mar 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 31

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Posts
2,254
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the majority of Amazon's downloads are actually LAME -V0


alot of it is but you still find the occasional 256kbps CBR or even something encoded in ABR mode
 
Mar 10, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #30 of 31

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Posts
380
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I really do not think so.
They have both been around for years but still not gained much popularity. That alone should tell the story



I bang my head against a wall every day except Tuesdays for letting the vinyl collection I accumulated over 20+ years of collecting rot in a storage unit that got to 120 degrees+ in the summer, every summer, for 10 years. On Tuesdays I smash myself in the face with a frying pan for variety. If I ditch my universal players and dreams of a high-res HDD based music library, I'll at least keep all my SACD's and DVD-A's somewhere safe for the next 30 years, just in case. Who knows -- in 2040, we might be buying from TTLSDJ (Todd the Little Shiny Disc Junkie).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top