DV 337 noise in the left channel
Oct 25, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else experienced this problem? When i got the amp 3 days ago it was silent, I was extremely pleased with it. Now, around 10 seconds after i turn on the left channel, a horrible amount of noise is introduced. I'm very upset, my noiseless eargasm sessions has been disrupted. Anyone have a remedy for this?

I've tried switching the left channel tubes for the right channel ones, but no success. Seems it's not the tubes.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 24
It happens as such:

Unit is switched off.

I flip the power switch.

A few seconds, the tubes start to glow, seems like the amp is working fine.

2 or 3 seconds after the tubes start glowing, the left channel goes PSSHHHHTT and a horrible amount of noise comes in. No matter how low i turn the volume down, the amount of noise still remains.

The noise is also there even with a different pair of headphones.

Sometimes, after i turn the switch off, the noise increases (!) to a peak, after which it slowly dies down. Very puzzling. Very annoying.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 24
Tried switching power cables, switched the fuse between the left and right channels, unplugged the analog cables, and the noise still remains. Right channel is perfectly silent. Hmmm.. Any gurus have advice on how to solve this?

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 24
The unit is brand new.. Hope it's not faulty parts.. If it is, ARRGGHH. Too busy at the moment to open up to diagnose, my MAJOR, MAJOR exams are in 2 weeks. Like, really major. (You get the point) And they end only on 19th Nov
frown.gif

Thanks for the tips man. I'll leave it on overnight to burn in my headphones, and see if the noise is still present in the morning.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 24
Switched the tubes between left and right channels, and it's still ONLY the left channel that has noise. So it's not the tubes. The noise floods in when the sound starts transmitting (when the tube gets sufficiently hot, i suppose), dies down a little, and remains.

When i turn the switch off, the noise gets louder, peaks, and then fades away pretty quickly.

Mind-boggling for me.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 24
Sounds exactly like the problem i had with my DV332. Couldn't track the problem down, but leaving the amp on for days on end testing, and eventually the noise just dissappeared. It also came on out of the blue a week after i got the amp.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 24
I haven't owned a DV amp, but from what I have read, it is quite sensitive to interference from other devices like radios or wireless networking equipment. Also, check your interconnects, try a different source and as suggested let the amp and tubes burn in for a while. Pataburd had something similar recently with his DV337, check through the DV337 thread.

Hope the noise goes away, keep us posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 24
The noise isn't due to the interconnects - even with the RCA cable unplugged, the noise is still present.

It doesnt result from interference either: it's only present in the left channel and the noise comes in when i turn the left channel on. Tubes start glowing, when the sound starts to transmit it's accompanied by a huge surge of noise which diminishes a little over time.

Right channel shows no such problems, from when its turned off to when its fully heated and glowing bright, there's no noise at all.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 24
I've left the amp overnight to burn in. When I woke, i picked up my cans and listened - No noise! I was pleased.

So i turned the amp off, let it cool down for 10 minutes, and turned it on again to see if the initial problem still persists.

To my horror and dismay (Dramatic, but that's the truth), the noise still came back to me in the left channel, even when the volume's turned all the way down. Even if i turn the volume up the level of noise still remains the same.

I really have no idea what's causing it, but hopefully it'll go away with use. Unless, of course, someone has a quick fix to this.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 24
I've had my DV337 for almost a month and last night I experienced the same problem. I turned off the amp wanting to go to bed, but then decided to stay up a while longer so I turned it back on. The left channel made this awful crackling sound that made my heart stop for a few seconds. It crossed my mind that this is happening because I turned the amp back on while the tubes were still warm, so I turned it off and went to bed. I turned it back on today and so far I haven't heard any noise at all. I've been listening for over two hours and everything is still fine. I don't understand how the tubes work and whether turning it back on while warm can cause this, but I hope that the problem was caused by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back