During the 70's what version of a hit song was most often played by radio stations
Apr 9, 2002 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
the album version or the single (45 rpm) version? Did it matter what type of musical genre was being played? For example: rock,pop,r&b,soul,funk or YUK...disco? My favorate music of that era was Rock but,this question applies to all music types played on the air waves during that decade. If anyone is able to answer this question please respond. It will be interesting to read your responces.

Apr 10, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 11
I suspect it's because no-one knows the answer (nor cares enough to guess).

My answer: it depends. I'm sure AOR used the album cuts (hence the name, Album Oriented Radio), but AM radio definitely used the singles.

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Are we supposed to be offering opinions here or is there a definitive answer we're guessing at?

I remember there was a period in '75 when every Rock station in Buffalo seemed to be in a competition to see who could play "Down In Jungleland" the most times. Oh yeah, the summer that the album "Frampton Comes Alive" ('75 again?) came out, there was no escaping it!

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Many of us who were into music in the 70's, have memories that today really suck.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think it's possible to pick out a single song. Because in the pop/rock genre, just like today, there was a constant stream of new hits on the radio which would be played to death initially, then fade away ... only to be brought back to life today on the multitude of "classic" rock stations.

The few existing FM stations played album versions while the AM stations played singles.

If I'm way off base with this answer, see Zowie's post.

Apr 11, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 11
the am stations played the singles. What about as the 70's rolled on and we reached the latter 70's (about 1976-79) and they where shoving all that disco ***** down our throats. What was played then the albums or single versions. I would say the singles because it must have been torture to have to sit through the full lenght versions of those "so called" songs. But I don't see why anyone would call them songs. Thank god disco died..long live rock. Anyway this is just a question to satisfy my curiosity.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 11
nobody can or will answer it. I thought I might give it just one more try by a reply to my own post. Anyway this was either to boring of a question or too hard for anyone to give a definative answer. The only answer I got was that during this era am radio played the singles and fm played the lp versions. This was just a guess I believe. But it does make sense. If I'm correct am radio focused on the top 40 stuff and fm was mostly album oriented. I will try to come up with better questions in the future. Thanx again.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 11
From what I can remember .....

FM stations were not that popular yet in the late 60s early 70s. Remember most cars only had AM. The FM I listened too was a mixture of mostly alblums and a few singles scattered in for good measure. It was actually a very good time to listen to the radio. You heard alot of work that never hit the mainstream AM stations.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back