Durable PCB mounted 3.5mm headphone socket?
Nov 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

brandnewgame

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently bought a iBasso D2 and within a fortnight the output jack socket was very loose and didn't provide both audio channels at the same time. To remedy the problem I bought an inexpensive PCB mounted headphone socket and replaced the loose one. Well, within a week the new socket has switched to left-channel only. Is there a source that sells more durable sockets? Preferably within the UK or Europe, but it doesn't have to be..

I know that how the jack plug is inserted and picked up means that part of the internals has to be loose, but this is frustrating.. Also I'll try not to cause any more stress on the socket (using with my laptop only so no pocket-portable amp any more, which renders my iMod a woeful waste of money).

Thanks for reading.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you using this as a portable rig?
Also were you using a heavy 1/4 inch adapter...

Someone needs to build a nice portable with a 1/4 inch socket!!!

Yes for portable and yes for an adapter, but it was a resistance adding 3.5 in 3.5 out adapter for ER-4Ps first time. For the replacement socket's end it was a 1/4 to 3.5 adapter that caused it, but wasn't while in my pocket.. it just broke the second I put it in and laid it flat on the table. Also my Sony headphones have a big plug that might as well be an adapter.. The jack is going to get a bit of punishment whatever I use.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 5
when you do it I would recommend making or buying a short extension or 2 with a neutrik male connector and a neutrik inline female 1/8 or 1.4" this will take the stress off the socket. not a heavy adapter, that will just cause more stress. neutrik connectors are very easy on sources, they are light they and aren't too tight to begin with. they dont have a large enough cable opening for a thick braid or anything, but they will serve the purpose, and at such short lengths if you use a smaller gauge it certainly wont effect the SQ. switchcraft connectors are great, but they can be hard on sources inputs and outputs. canare F12 will give the same trouble. if you do end up going portable again, you could make sure to set your LOD in place by using a hairdryer on the wires for abvout 30 seconds and then let the cable cool in that position. that position will now be the wires natural shape and therefor will take the stress of the socket; dont make the dryer too hot and dont point it directly at it. just wave it around like you were drying your hair; that way you wont melt anything. switchcraft connectors were built to be very tight for the army so they stay in in combat, but if you dont follow this advice they can be detrimental to the sockets

hope that helps

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you do it I would recommend making or buying a short extension or 2 with a neutrik male connector and a neutrik inline female 1/8 or 1.4" this will take the stress off the socket. not a heavy adapter, that will just cause more stress. neutrik connectors are very easy on sources, they are light they and aren't too tight to begin with. they dont have a large enough cable opening for a thick braid or anything, but they will serve the purpose, and at such short lengths if you use a smaller gauge it certainly wont effect the SQ. switchcraft connectors are great, but they can be hard on sources inputs and outputs. canare F12 will give the same trouble. if you do end up going portable again, you could make sure to set your LOD in place by using a hairdryer on the wires for abvout 30 seconds and then let the cable cool in that position. that position will now be the wires natural shape and therefor will take the stress of the socket; dont make the dryer too hot and dont point it directly at it. just wave it around like you were drying your hair; that way you wont melt anything. switchcraft connectors were built to be very tight for the army so they stay in in combat, but if you dont follow this advice they can be detrimental to the sockets

hope that helps

Thanks for the information (I didn't know about the different plugs). I didn't think of a short extension lead, but it's a great idea
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back