Durable IEMs?
May 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rockin982

New Head-Fier
Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm already aware of the love and joy the head-fi community has for Beats Tour IEMs.  But the one thing I find REALLY attractive about them is the cord construction, particularly because I've gone through 2 sets of Shure E2's, a set of E4's, and 2 pairs of Etymotics.  And one of two things alwatys happens - either one of the drivers craps out in the case of the Ety's, or the cord fails, near the driver end, on ALL of my Shures.  The Shure's are particularly bad because the over-the-ear design forces you to bend the cord every time you put them on, and that's exactly the point where all 3 of my sets failed.  Now I'm not totally reckless with my gear, but I feel that for something designed to be portable and costing north of $100, there should be at least some thought given to durability.  And it seems like the Monsters actually gave this issue some thought.  But at the end of the day, I still want a decent-sounding set of IEMs at a FAIR price for the sound quality and construction.

So can anyone recommend a decent set of IEMs with a well-constructed cord?  I will mainly be using these to practice my bass (through a small, AAA-battery powered headphone amp / bass amp simulator from VOX), but I'd love to use them to listen to music on my android phone as well.  I don't want over-emphasized bass - I want to hear the signal with clarity, the way it's coming out of the source, and I can always EQ based on that.

Oh, and I'd like to stay around $100 if I can - unless a good-sounding and road-worthy set simply cannot be had at that price.

Thoughts?

May 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Shure se215 gas a replaceable cord. Go!

Nat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back