Durability of Westone IEM's?
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

kzhlin

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have had a pair of Westone 4R's for a few months, and I dropped them (the IEM's itself) onto the ground and I was wondering if it is possible for them to have suffered internal damage? They sound fine and don't show any cosmetic damage, but I was just wondering if they have any damage that may affect sound quality or durability?

Sorry. Maybe I'm just extra paranoid because these are my first pair of more expensive IEMs. Haha.

Thanks,
Kevin

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 35
I own UM1s and W3s.  I have had the UM1s for over 7 years now, no problems, and the W3s have lasted me well over 4 years.  I did have one issue with my Westone 3 where something came loose in one monitor, but I wrote them an email and they had me send it to them, and they sent me a brand new pair.  However, this wasn't a durability issue, as it wasn't from dropping it or anything.

Another time while taking my grandfather to the hospital, I dropped my jacket on the floor with my W3s in the pocket, stepped on it and broke the stem of one of the monitors.  My 2 year warranty was a couple months expired, but when I wrote Westone's customer service asking for repair costs, they again just told me to send it in, and sent me a new pair, no charge.

The cables are some of the most durable, pliable and comfortable you can get, their warranty and customer service are also above reproach.  (Granted, I bought from an authorized dealer, so that might have helped.)  Their products and service have guaranteed that when my Westone 3s finally do break down, I'll be buying another pair of westone iems.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 35
I find the UM3x extremely durable. The shell is tight and solid feeling, the nozzles feel especially solid as well. I dont see a problem with them breaking any time soon.

The cable is pretty nice as well. I've used it on several flights and had it dragged and pulled out of a backpack multiple times and its still braided well. Not to mention it is probably one of the most pliable and comfortable cables I have used that isn't a custom.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 35
Just out of curiosity, how similar are different pairs of Westone IEM's?

My friend got a brand new pair of 4R's, and I listened to them today, but they don't as good as mine... Maybe because of the burn-in period? Most of the IEM's should sound identical right?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how similar are different pairs of Westone IEM's?

My friend got a brand new pair of 4R's, and I listened to them today, but they don't as good as mine... Maybe because of the burn-in period? Most of the IEM's should sound identical right?

when comparing the 2 were you using his equipment like sources or yours? different amp and dac and cables can effect the sound signature. that may be why you are hearing differences in sound

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:
I plugged both into my iPhone 5.

well some people believe in ''burn in'' of the iem's although some say that BA dont burn in. also some say that cables have a ''burn in'' but again some dont believe that either.

however if you personally had a new pair of w4r and a burnt in pair of w4r and you personally noticed the difference. then there was a difference.

ive gone from 3 cables, the westone epic cable, btg_audio sunrise cable and now i have a chris_himself neotech pure silver cable. and noticed a difference in sound with each cable. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 35
Non believer of balanced armature burn-in here.

but anyway, in reply to OP: My Westone 3's have never skipped a beat, neither did the last pair I had (that were stolen).

My UM3X WERE very durable, and I wore them on every gig I did for years, until one day I tripped over my own two feet, and planted my face onto the ground. Broke the nozzle off the left earpiece.

Instead of getting them repaired, I sent them off to a third-party company to get re-shelled into customs. Still waiting for them to get back to me. Starting to wish I just had them repaired..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back