Durability of SE530 vs. Triple.fi
Jul 16, 2008 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Donner

New Head-Fier
Greetings fellow headfiers
i am currently thinking of buying one of the abovementioned IEMs.
Living in Germany and with the euro currently being rather strong i think i´ll buy them in the US over Ebay.
But from what I´ve heard the warranty in such cases tends to be rather mushy (for the Shures at least ,I am not quite sure about the UE warranty policy - do they have anything like the certified dealers that Shure uses ?).

My last Headphones were the Vmoda Vibes which were highly praised for their durability at the time - and their cable cracked right above the headphone jack after only about 1 year of use.
So durability has become one of my bigger concerns now. I think the exchangeable cable is a big plus point for the triple.fi s but what´s about the build quality of the speaker itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 35
Some of the SE530 owners has had cable problems. Triple.fi has more durable cables w/ memory wire to help retain its around the ear shape.

Both don't have replaceable filters like the Ety's so once it gets clug with wax, don't know what you can do about it.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the SE530 owners has had cable problems.

The current version of the SE530 uses different cabling than the originals

Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both don't have replaceable filters like the Ety's so once it gets clug with wax, don't know what you can do about it.

I think that's a good point. I've raised it several times in threads where a Shure representative was participating but have never received a comment. Same potential issue with the Triple-Fi. Are both these units somehow immune to wax?

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 35
I don't think UE's build quality is that good. Take a look in the "what's going on at UE" thread. People are having them randomly come apart, me included. It has a replaceable cable, but what's the point if the earpiece itself is going to break?

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 35
I've had my TF10's for 7 months and don't baby them at all. They are still in perfect condition. No complaints, i think the build quality is great.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 35
I'm with J.D.N. - the overall build quality is darn good on Triple Fi IMHO. And mine were one of the pairs that broke, in my case because of trying to remove a damn Shure foamie that as good as welded itself onto the tube...

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 35
I have had my Triple.fi's for about a week, I had them replaced because it thought something was wrong (I think it was in my head). The build quality is superb (casing, cables), as far as I can tell.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 35
It has came to my attention that the SE530/E500 earphones had cable problems up until late 2007--I had them replaced today with "0778" (2008). The cables used in the SE530 earphones from 2008 and beyond has the caking/crackling issue resolved although you'll have to maintain the cable really good to ensure skin oils are not interacting with the cables. I had 4 incidents with the SE530, 3 of them which involved the cable caking and cracking--yay for me living next to Niles, IL--I've got a 2008 SE530 earpiece today.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 35
Honestly if I were you I would pay the slight increase and get it from a dealer, either us or in the eu. If you run into trouble you could be up a creek. I can't speak for Shure as I have never used their cs, but UE definitely made it a clear point that you need to show proof of purchase to get warranty work done. BTW my triple.fi's had a main driver go out in 3wks so think twice about ebay.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 35
Michael I don't think you realise how much Europeans are being ripped off. If he were to buy a pair of triple.fi's in Europe they will cost him $635. Donner buy them from amazon and buy from soundearphones or go to www.soundearphones.com so then you won't have to worry about you're earphones breaking as they are an official dealer and offer some good prices on they're earphones.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FALC0NR14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael I don't think you realise how much Europeans are being ripped off. If he were to buy a pair of triple.fi's in Europe they will cost him $635. Donner buy them from amazon and buy from soundearphones or go to www.soundearphones.com so then you won't have to worry about you're earphones breaking as they are an official dealer and offer some good prices on they're earphones.

Wow, nice marketing. If it weren't totally false. Not sure where you're getting your prices from but by my reckoning £190 from the UK amazon or 270 euros does not equate to $635 euros.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 35
Sorry I should of perhaps been more clear. I didn't state buy it only in the EU, I said us or eu dealer. The real reason for my post was that you need to get them from a dealer because if I am honest I have questions about the build quality and definitely questions about UE CS and to save a few bucks on ebay is no savings if you get stuck with a brand new broken pair of iems.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 35
I've had my Triple.Fi's since they first came out (before a lot of people had theirs, in fact). And they are still going strong. That said, I'm quite careful with my headphone gear.

My dog did chew on the cable it seems, so I had to replace it. But that's a great part is that it IS replaceable. If that happened to an SE530, I'd be SOL.

Unfortunately it seems the trend for Ultimate Ears is towards fixed, NON-replaceable cables. Not a good move, IMO. Hope they stick with replaceable cables for their higher end earphones. (not only their customs.)

-Ed

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 35
I believe all IEM should have replaceable cables. I usually take care of my earphones but sometimes, accidents happen. The two IEM that cause me problems were all cable-related. Unfortunately, they were not replaceable.

As for me, the Triple.Fi seems durable but I just own them for 2 months.

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by miniduncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, nice marketing. If it weren't totally false. Not sure where you're getting your prices from but by my reckoning £190 from the UK amazon or 270 euros does not equate to $635 euros.

I got those prices from an official dealer in Europe. Now I'm aware of those prices on the U.K. amazon but I wouldn't recommend buying from there because of the euro-dollar conversion. Next time please don't go flaming people just because you have used quotes from somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back