Durability of Q-Jays?
Jul 18, 2008 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

finalx233

New Head-Fier
After some intensive research I've narrowed it down to the Q-Jays for its affordability, comfort, and good sounding qualities. For the past years I've been using so-so IEMs available at local shops like Futureshop or Bestbuy. My last pair was a pair of Skull Candy Full Metal Jacket earphones, they were not bad honestly.. at least for me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The reason I want to buy a new pair of IEMs is that every single pair of earphone I owned got their cord destroyed LoL. Mostly near the armature or w/e you call them. I don't know if this happens often but I even captured some radio signals from town workers here, at first I thought.. is this my music or what?? Then I hear some dudes talking about repairing stuff on the street near my home o.O
Anyways back on topic, my question is will the Q-Jays last me at least a few years? The cord on all my other earphone started to rip after a year//year and a half. Are the cords solid on the Q-Jays?

Thankssss

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 21
I'd recommend getting an IEM with a replaceable cable because from the looks of it, cables don't like you very much :p

IEMs off the top of my head with replaceable cables around your budget include Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5, Westone UM1, Etymotic ER4, Sleeks SA6.

EDIT: Excuse me, Ety's don't have replaceable cables.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 21
Hmm... actually a good idea !! But.. why do most of the modular earphones look like crap from the 80's (Except for the Sleek). I'm not sure if the new super.fi 5 has replaceable cable but it looks good but I can't find anywhere to buy it other than on their website and let's not talk about the shipping cost.. it's like 70$ if I remember for shipping to Canada. The reason I put the Sleek away from my potential to-get list is that they overdone the modular thing to much IMO. I'm not sure how loose or how solid it will be like in a few years unless someone tells me otherwise. I know I sound like a noob but the aesthetic must be acceptable and not look like crap *cough*Etymotic*cough*Westone*cough*.

It's the first time I will be buying a high end pair of earphone and I don't want to regret it. Ideally a modular design would be preferable with OK look and good sound. If I have no choice I might go with the Sleek.. but let's see some opinions. Also if you recommend me something could you also please tell me where I can buy them the cheapest possible in Canada?

Thanks very much!!

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 21
I have had a pair of q-Jays for just over 7 months now and whilst they get heavy use (10-12 hours per day) they certainly do not get rough use. In that time I have replaced the extension cable 3 times and just recently had to send them in for complete replacement because of cable problems in one ear piece and connector. That said the customer service from Jays has been exemplary having shipped me 2 replacement extensions at no charge and a complete new set of q-Jays when the earpiece failed.

Not wanting to be without a decent set of phones while the q-Jays were sent back I purchased the Sleek SA6 because of the praise they were receiving here. I thought they would be good as a backup pair until the q-Jays returned but did not consider they would in any way replace my beloved q-Jays.

Well the Sleeks really surprised me and I have to say I love 'em. Sonically I do not find a huge deal of difference between the 2 with the single armature of the SA6 performing just as well as the doubles of the q-Jays. The q-Jays exhibit a tad more detail through the mids and highs than the Sleeks which are slightly warmer and less analytical. The Sleeks still have a good strong mid section with excellent vocals and crisp highs but are a little more laid back and possibly a little less tiring for long periods of use.

Bass on both is good and rises to the occasion when called upon but never overpowering. The dedicated bass armature of the q-Jays perhaps delivers slightly more bass punch and impact than the Sleeks but only slightly.

The earpieces on the q-Jays are shorter and narrower than the Sleeks but I have no problems wearing either pair for extended periods, that said I prefer and use the q-Jays tips rather than the Sleeks bi-flanges finding the material a little thicker providing slightly better isolation and seems to tighten up the bass just a smidgeon.

cimg3277bw4.jpg

The cable set up on the q-Jays is my major gripe with them, being a 2 part cable I it is either too short without the extension or just way too long with the extension. Because of the extra length of the cable I regularly get it snagged resulting in either the plug getting yanked out of my player or the ear pieces being ripped from my ears which is really annoying. I also believe this is why I have had problems with extension connectors and one earpiece as it is the only time that any force has been applied to the cables.

I find the Sleek cable superior to the q-Jays not just length wise but it is also softer and more flexible resulting in far less microphonics than the q-Jays cable. I should point out though that the cable on the replacement pair of q-Jays seems to be a little more flexible and less microphonic than my original pair. I don't know if this is because they are now using different material or whether there is a difference in material between the black and the white q-Jays as my original pair was black but I selected white for the replacement as black were out of stock.

Despite that the replaceable cable is a big plus for the Sleeks in my opinion and when purchased them I picked up a spare to keep on hand. I am also looking forward to the highly anticipated wireless attachment for the Sleeks that will hopfully be released within the next month or so.
Ironically one of the earpieces on the Sleeks has also stopped working but now I kind of feel that the q-Jays are the standin while I wait for the replacement from Sleeks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there are quite a few complaints regarding the filters in the q-Jays earpieces needing to be replaced about every 4-6 weeks as they become clogged not so much from earwax but they seem to absorb moisture and slightly expand eventually deminishing and blocking sound. Whilst this is not difficult having to keep a stock of spare filters adds a little expense.

-------------------------------------------------------------
signaturecj7.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 21
Nice mini-review.

I sold my q-JAYS to bernie this week and now he is looking to sell them for the SA6
biggrin.gif

If I didn't already have 3 pair of custom IEM I would consider them, or the Sleek Customs. I have a loaner pair of SA6 on the way to add to my 7 IEM 7 portable amp synergy review, so stay tuned (no pun intended). Within 2 weeks the review will be a 10 IEM 10 portable amp synergy review.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Thanks Tadad for the review and in the end, I don't think I'd want to deal with all the shipping back and forth for broken cables. I decided to go for the SA6, I'm still waiting for Micheal from soundearphones.com to reply my email then I'll order them.

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by finalx233 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Tadad for the review and in the end, I don't think I'd want to deal with all the shipping back and forth for broken cables. I decided to go for the SA6, I'm still waiting for Micheal from soundearphones.com to reply my email then I'll order them.

I'm sure you will enjoy them, strangly I almost feel bad recommending the Sleeks over the q-Jays as Peter from Jays has been so great going out of his way to fix the problem as fast as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice mini-review.

I sold my q-JAYS to bernie this week and now he is looking to sell them for the SA6
biggrin.gif

If I didn't already have 3 pair of custom IEM I would consider them, or the Sleek Customs. I have a loaner pair of SA6 on the way to add to my 7 IEM 7 portable amp synergy review, so stay tuned (no pun intended). Within 2 weeks the review will be a 10 IEM 10 portable amp synergy review.

I look forward to that as I am keen to move into a portable amp. I thought I would pick up a Cmoy as an entry point and get a rough idea of what sort of minor improvements I could expect. Sadly using a Cowon D2 with no line-out I possibly should not expect too much but I am already teetering on forking out for a Minibox-E+ based on some of the comments in the SA6 thread and this is with the Cmoy not even arrived yet. (Damn you Head-Fi)

-------------------------------------------------------------
signaturecj7.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 21
So I am looking at the Q-Jays myself now so just wondering if there are anymore people with experiences of cable wear. I always look after my IEMs with my SE210s only breaking due to cable stiffening. I am a bit worried that despite a 2 year warranty I may be having to invoke this due to durability issues...Any help appreciated please..

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 21
Absolutely no problems with the cables of my q-JAYS.
But I am very careful with my stuff.

BR, Rob

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 21
According to the forum on jays.se, only 1% of their earphones are faulty (incl. dead drivers, broken cables etc.) which is quite good. I believe they have very sturdy cables, mine doesn't show any sign of wear after some heavy and careless usage. Durability of the earphoes themselves is spectacular.
But still the replaceable cable or Kleer wireless module is better option of course (SA6), although I've heared quite many stories about broken drivers or internal connections in sleeks...

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 21
hey tadad1, which tips are you using on the SA6?

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the Sleeks but they are over my budget, hence the Q-Jays. Would be interested to hear from you both on your frequency of replacement of the filters and whether you have tried the witch hazel cleaning technique??

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend getting an IEM with a replaceable cable because from the looks of it, cables don't like you very much :p

IEMs off the top of my head with replaceable cables around your budget include Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5, Westone UM1, Etymotic ER4, Sleeks SA6.

EDIT: Excuse me, Ety's don't have replaceable cables.

Yes, they do. The 6 does not, the 4 does.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 21
Started to hear some reports of cables on Q-Jays getting stiff over time. Has anyone on this forum heard of this? I am particularly worried as my SE210 cables got really hard and then cracked resulting in them breaking all together. I think this issue seems to only happen to people who wear them over the ear, anyone have any experience of this?

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 21
My first pair of Q-Jays went straight back with little to no sound coming from the right piece. Replaced right away. Three months later after episodic use, the same problem. Too tired to send them back yet.

I would be willing to entertain anything else that has a really small ear piece like the Q-Jay. I am ear canal challenged! The smallest fitting Q-Jay tip was all I could use. Thoughts and suggestions, please.

I really found the experience of an IEM very appealing on long hauls on planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back