Durability of Non-Detachable Cables
Oct 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

missileblitz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I was just wondering, how long do non-detachable cable headphones last until they either get damaged or not usable? I am planning to buy the M50, but I'm worried that after a few months of use I may need to buy new headphones again because of the non-replaceable cable.

Also, if the cable on these types of headphones become unusable, what do people often do? Buy new headphones? 

Do manufacturers cover cable damage in their warranties?

If anyone can refer to me some other headphone that are in the same price range of the M50s and DO have a detachable cable, that'll be great.

Thank you for your time.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 8
If you are handy with soldering iron, every headphone will have a detachable cable ( difference is you will have to take apart the headphones to desolder and resolder the new wire, or make a creative detachable cable your self (wire an RTS female jack at one of the heapdhones end and connect an RTS male to male extension to it)  but then you void the worranty =/ . And most companies dont cover the wires unless they are faulty from the moment you open the box. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 8
They're reattachable with a soldering iron (as my SA5Ks can attest...) but yeah, I'm nervous as heck whenever I try to solder anything, so a detachable cable is definitely something I look for.

Some are more durable than others, and the SA5K is the most fragile looking and feeling headphone that I've ever owned.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 8
I owned my first pair of straight cabled m50s for 9 months, and the only thing that started to wear out were the pads (I use headphones 7 days a week for at least 4 hours or so) but the cable was sturdy. The tip also has a small spring to avoid it breaking or bending too much. I'm sure they can last a very long time if taken care of (and I often pushed my chair over the cable by mistake).

On the other hand, detachable cables are always a plus. I also have co-workers that have owned m50s for 2 years and they're still going strong, the cables haven't hardened up or ripped.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't think it matters, although I've seen coiled cables survive strong pulls better than straight cables. It's a matter of preference, being that I like straight cables because they don't weight down my left ear-pads as much as the coiled cables do.

I actually purchased another m50 pair a few weeks ago, and this time it's the coiled cable. It seems durable, but I feel bad stretching it out because... it's as if I'm taking it's virginity away lol

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 8
I have some headphones from the '70s whose cables are still in perfect working condition.  That said, if something is going to break down that will actually impact the function of the headphones, it will be the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back