Durability of certain phones (Grado SR80is)?
Sep 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for some semi-portable (foldable) fullsized phones like the SRH 840 and MDR V6 or 7506. But I've been looking at the Gradio SR80is recently and I'm wondering if they're durable enough to carry around in my backpack without worrying about damaging them. They don't seem like the biggest headphones so I guess size wouldn't be a big issue, but rather durability in a non-compact form.

Also, anyone know any hi-fi shops in piscataway, NJ where I can try out phones?

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
They're not SUPER durable, I mean it's a wonder how my SR-80's have survived everything they've been through, but I wouldn't say that they're frail....

Your problem with the SR-80 is actually going to be the size of the cable, it's 6' long which is enough to drape around your waist and then go into your pocket, when I'm standing with stock cabled grados with a portable player in my pocket, the cable hovers like 6" off the ground, I'm 5'9 if you must know

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 6
They're not SUPER durable, I mean it's a wonder how my SR-80's have survived everything they've been through, but I wouldn't say that they're frail....

Your problem with the SR-80 is actually going to be the size of the cable, it's 6' long which is enough to drape around your waist and then go into your pocket, when I'm standing with stock cabled grados with a portable player in my pocket, the cable hovers like 6" off the ground, I'm 5'9 if you must know

I'll probably just zip tie the cable to 3ft or so of usable length. I can just pocket the bundled wire, still 6ft is quite a bit.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 6
You really can't pocket the Grado cable. They're really too thick for portable use, imo. I'd say the wires (especially the Y-link) is the main weakness of the SR80. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I'll probably just zip tie the cable to 3ft or so of usable length. I can just pocket the bundled wire, still 6ft is quite a bit.

Been there, done that, it's workable... you can just switch to carrying a bag (better make it a manly one). Here's what I use
http://www.tacgearstore.com/condor-utility-shoulder-p-172.html

Carries school stuff and headphone gear too... back when I used to do one of those silly portable headphone rigs, this thing was a lifesaver!

Stick to solid colors, that ACU is too much haha.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 6
You really can't pocket the Grado cable. They're really too thick for portable use, imo. I'd say the wires (especially the Y-link) is the main weakness of the SR80. 

Alright, guess the SR80 is a bit out of the option for portable use :|
Personally I don't want to carry a man purse even if it is a MAN purse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back