Dunu-Topsound Studio?
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #556 of 664
For those of you interested, we've gotten permission from Leiyin Audio (parent company of @shenzhenaudio) to re-publish the most recent episode of their HIFI Tour series (roughly translated from Chinese as 'Sonic Explorations') that recently published on Chinese social media platforms, which is a visit to our production facilities in Dongguan (a major city of the Pearl River Delta just outside of Shenzhen which makes roughly over 90% of all headphone audio products in the world, along with many other electronics). They also speak with our chief engineer, Andy Zhao, at length.

The language is in Mandarin Chinese but we have subtitled this episode in English ourselves; just turn on subtitles and you're set. The subtitles have been generated to preserve the original meaning and spirit of the conversation and verified for accuracy. Rest easy, they're not machine auto-translations!

Some highlights include:
  • A preview of faceplate changes we're experimenting with on the SA6
  • A look at the torture tests we put our cables through
  • A glimpse at the actual metal alloy driver in the ZEN
  • Extensive views of our production line and our QC process
  • Discussion into the EST 112 and ZEN's development
Many thanks to Leiyin Audio for the permission to re-publish this tour footage. They also publish other factory tours on YouTube, which they subtitle in English.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #557 of 664
Don't have a lot of specifics to share yet, still evaluating, but I did a first look video at the EST 112.

And here's a frequency response graph of EST 112 + Zen + SA6. EST & Zen are most similar, with pretty similar midrange and bass tuning. Biggest difference is in the treble, at least as far as FR goes.

graph (88).png

You can examine the squiggles here: https://squig.link/?share=Dunu_EST_112,Dunu_Zen,Dunu_SA6

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #558 of 664
There is a dedicated EST 112 thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dun...rostatic-tweeters.956907/page-4#post-16268437
Don't have a lot of specifics to share yet, still evaluating, but I did a first look video at the EST 112.

And here's a frequency response graph of EST 112 + Zen + SA6. EST & Zen are most similar, with pretty similar midrange and bass tuning. Biggest difference is in the treble, at least as far as FR goes.

You can examine the squiggles here: https://squig.link/?share=Dunu_EST_112,Dunu_Zen,Dunu_SA6

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #559 of 664
It took me a while but here's the long-term review of the Dunu Studio SA6. In short: it's my default recommendation now in the $500 mark. Perhaps the most well-rounded offering I've seen in years. The midrange tuning is superb, the treble has good extension (for the price) and best of all: the BA bass is really well done. BA timbre only pops up rarely, and the stock accessories put many $2000/3000 stuff to shame *cough* 64Audio *cough*.

In terms of cons: I am forced to nitpick at times but the macrodynamics could be better, the stock cable could be lighter (though it's very robust in its current incarnation), and the BA bass is still not as good as the great DD stuff out there.

You can read the full review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-studio-sa6.24665/reviews

IMG_9665_Original.JPG

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #561 of 664
So what's the deal with the eartip that come with the SA6?
Penon describes them as "balanced", "transparent", "warm". Which is which?

Any reccys for some longer eartips? Between the stubby nozzles and the short eartips I am having some issues with the right earpiece staying sealed - I imagine the cable guide isn't helping either. I was using a pair of my Spinfits for a couple days, and they seemed to be working OK, but now for whatever reason they literally keep popping off the nozzles and bouncing across the floor.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #562 of 664
The narrow bore are warm. Balanced is maybe blue, transparent-white? For my use narrow bore is too much bass and it collapses the soundstage, but you see a lot of photos of people using them?

I like blue the best as they are shorter but still have a wide nozzle, hence best imaging? White have longer barrels but they have never worked for me?

Everyone is different and has different ear canals, and a variety of distances between the tip and the ear drum, best to find what works for you.

Any reccys for some longer eartips? Between the stubby nozzles and the short eartips I am having some issues with the right earpiece staying sealed - I imagine the cable guide isn't helping either. I was using a pair of my Spinfits for a couple days, and they seemed to be working OK, but now for whatever reason they literally keep popping off the nozzles and bouncing across the floor.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #564 of 664
Here is my EST 112 review for your viewing pleasure:

Watched on my Q5s +09, great review and I can echo your point on knowles BA for mids! It would be good value for those not listened extensively or not as focus on mids accuracy. The 112’s main selling point prob is being the cheapest tribrid IEM?

btw, what’s the birds (?) making noise at the beginning & watched with IEMs really picked out the flies circulating around :D

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #565 of 664

I had a similar issue, the L black and blues are a little too short and small to get a lasting seal. Final Audio E are a fairly good match for black, and either Penon's own tips or Symbio Peels for the blues ( I thought Symbios were longer but they seem practically identical to the Penon ones). The bores of the Penon/Symbios are a bit wider than the Dunus but I haven't had a problem with them coming off. Hope you find something that works.

IMG_20210411_215812-01.jpeg

https://penonaudio.com/3-pairs-in-ear-silicone-eartips.html

https://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w-peel/

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #566 of 664

As per DUNU
"The grey tips for us have always been our 'Balanced' ear tips, while the white core tips are meant to sharpen up treble response a little, while the foam tips tend to smooth them out a little. The black tips have a little bit of a reverse horn effect and thus have the ability to let the focus lay with the bass a little more."

Q-6

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #567 of 664
The narrow bore are warm. Balanced is maybe blue, transparent-white? For my use narrow bore is too much bass and it collapses the soundstage, but you see a lot of photos of people using them?

I like blue the best as they are shorter but still have a wide nozzle, hence best imaging? White have longer barrels but they have never worked for me?

Everyone is different and has different ear canals, and a variety of distances between the tip and the ear drum, best to find what works for you.
My right ear has always been a bit of a PITA. The only 2 iems I own that I haven't had issues with are the PFE (perfect fit indeed) and the Ety (I know some folks can't stand the deep insertion, but these things slip into my ear canals like a key in a lock).

I've also found that if I don't run the cable over ear - at least initially - the eartip will kind of stay in place (works good for lounging at home). If I wasn't prone to klutziness, I'd cut the shrink wrap guides off the cable. I have used a heating pad to reshape the guides on other cables, but for some reason, I get the feeling that won't work for these.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #568 of 664
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/mr-trev.373753/
What you may be needing to do is use some of the tip extension as the area (your ear) comes in contact with to hold the IEM in place? The SA6 has nozzles which are just long enough for me, though I can see how possibly they might be on the shorter side for some people.

Don’t know how many extra tips you have around, but it seems like you already know about finding one with an extended barrel? The ear-hooks are imperative to my fit and I can’t imagine not using them. But everyone is a different shape, hence the IEM must be different. There is also a tip with a narrow bore and medium nozzle which has worked will for me. I am not sure where they came from except they look like a donut in shape. I myself would rather use such a tip as the shorter barrel seems to enhance the soundstage. The long barrels seems to muddy up and add compression to instrument separation, even though they add extension to nozzle length.

Also months down the road you may find that a combination that didn’t work in the past, all of a sudden works great. Some people don’t realize the shape of your ears are always changing.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #569 of 664
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/mr-trev.373753/
What you may be needing to do is use some of the tip extension as the area (your ear) comes in contact with to hold the IEM in place? The SA6 has nozzles which are just long enough for me, though I can see how possibly they might be on the shorter side for some people.

Don’t know how many extra tips you have around, but it seems like you already know about finding one with an extended barrel? The ear-hooks are imperative to my fit and I can’t imagine not using them. But everyone is a different shape, hence the IEM must be different. There is also a tip with a narrow bore and medium nozzle which has worked will for me. I am not sure where they came from except they look like a donut in shape. I myself would rather use such a tip as the shorter barrel seems to enhance the soundstage. The long barrels seems to muddy up and add compression to instrument separation, even though they add extension to nozzle length.

Also months down the road you may find that a combination that didn’t work in the past, all of a sudden works great. Some people don’t realize the shape of your ears are always changing.
I have thought about using a spacer like I do with my BL03, but then I don't know how secure the eartip would be on the nozzle - and I really don't like trying to fish tips out of my ears with tweezers. I do have some long foam tips (new bee) that'll probably do the trick (and I actually do like foam tips in general).

So far, I've only tried the included white tip and the Spinfit. I don't even remember what model the Spinfit are, but they absolutely won't stay on the nozzle anymore (oddly they would for the first couple days). Sound wise I do like what I've been hearing. No desire to flip the switch and get more bass. If anything maybe I'd like a touch less bass and a softening of the treble.
I was also surprised at how low they get. I pretty much have to turn the vol. on my Vali2 down to nothing compared to any other iems I have. Heck even my E12a never sees more than 9 oclock on the knob.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #570 of 664

I use the spinfit M tips that came with the Falcon C on the SA6.... and use the grey/blue from the SA6/Falcon C on my KZ DQ6 and my Trinity Hunter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back