Dunu-Topsound Studio?
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #346 of 664
Still early days but have to say I'm loving the SA6, it reminds of the VE8 in that it's pretty effortless and never forces one particular frequency; everything just flows naturally. That warm tingue to the sound just exudes class that hits way above it's price point and does make you question why you spend so much chasing a dream. It doesn't wow, then fatigue your ears, it just carresses them for hours on end with a sound that is close to perfect (for me at least). Took another pic, it's not the best but gives you an idea of how nice these look. Dunu...you've hit this out the park!

SA6.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #347 of 664
Cool, that's why we're here, curious about your upcoming ventures :ksc75smile: Not sure if the budget thing was intended to me or in general, but I'll be mostly looking at offerings in the 300-700 $/€ range.

Well, it was only because you initially inquired whether it'd be under $150, but if you're looking at the 300-700 range, you're knocking at the right door! Industry-wide, price distribution has been increasingly bimodal, with offerings skewed either to the low end or the very high end. We think there's still room to do some interesting things in the middle.

Had my delivery of the SA6 this morning, and sounding lovely with the R8. I'm using Acoustune AET08a tips with gives it a slightly deeper bass and Penon OSG cable...such a good combo. I'm impressed with the balance and think the bass sounds pretty much spot on without going overboard and the IEM has a nice bit of musicality without sacrifing technicalities. Coming from the Mest, Volt and Fusion, it holds up really nicely...great value for money!

I was also really surprised by how small they were, plus how comfortable. I was worried about the short stem but needn't be as they are a great fit, especially seeing how my right ear is always very picky!

Big thank you to Andrew at MusicTeck for a great service as per usual, and managed to get a lovely blue faceplate too.

SA6.jpg

Glad you're enjoying them. MusicTeck has been a great partner for us.

I received my SA6 yesterday and was very pleased with the color (which I will post pix later). Unfortunately, with my ear anatomy, I am only able to successfully use large shallow fit tips. I found that none of my tip stash gave a secure fit that provided an adequate seal. I first blamed the problem on the short nozzle but after a lot of fiddling, I discovered that the hefty cable was the culprit.
I wish Dunu had adapted the 17th Anniv. cable for use with the SA6 as it is quite supple and performs superbly.

Sorry to hear you've had some difficulties with fit. The new DUW-03 cable was included because we wanted to make sure people were able to experience a high quality yet lightweight 8-core cable without having to resort to aftermarket options. While it is lighter than the HULK, it is understandable some people might find the DUW-03 slightly bulkier/heavier than typical cables. But the CHORD (what we included with the 17th anniversary model) is an underrated cable indeed. Message us and let's see if we can come up with a customized solution for you.

When did you all order your SA6? I ordered mine on the 8th, and they have yet to ship from Linsoul. I get the 11/11 rush and delays, but I'm starting to get a little annoyed over here.

If you're US-based, then the place to go for local stock of the Studio SA6 is MusicTeck. Otherwise, they'll be shipped from overseas. But you've already ordered, so hopefully they can help sort things out for you. Otherwise, let us know, and we'll try to facilitate.

Can someone tell if the vent does help reducing the vacuum/suction feeling?

The vent is a rear vent, meaning it does not communicate with the front. So that's why isolation is not impacted. But of course, there are two sides to every coin, so because there's no communication with the ear canal, it does not reduce the vacuum effect. We're still doing R&D into ambient vents/filters, and we hope to introduce them into future Studio models, but we're not there yet. Sorry.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #348 of 664
Thank you for the explaination, dunu. Appreciated :) Having some sort of pressure equalization is good for comfort and faigue, but yes isolation is reduced by that. So everything is a trade of. I'm hoping more companies try to implement something like the apex system.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #349 of 664
If you're US-based, then the place to go for local stock of the Studio SA6 is MusicTeck. Otherwise, they'll be shipped from overseas. But you've already ordered, so hopefully they can help sort things out for you. Otherwise, let us know, and we'll try to facilitate.

Good advice! I got my DAP from MusicTeck and I definitely recommend them as a vendor. They answered my three or four questions promptly, and shipping was much faster than I had expected. I'll keep working with Linsoul for the time being, but I'll keep MusicTeck in mind when the Zen drops.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #350 of 664
Bass sounding that way is also an advantage for me ...... Are there other IEMs that have bass sounding that way? Or in any case with the same low range of the SA, perhaps with a higher quality in general also on the other ranges?
There are two that comes to my mind right now. One is the Audiosense T800. Also has a vented BA driver for bass and has very good impact/rumble. Unfortunately the bass is a bit too loose on that for my tastes and the bass bloom can be tad overwhelming at times. Another all-BA IEM with cleaner bass response but good impact is the classic Shure SE846. I could never warm up to it because of the very odd tonality but with the bass filter placed (and due to their proprietary low-pass filter design) it has very good rumble and impact without affecting the mids or any bass bleed. SA6 bass isn't as tight as the SE846 bass but the tonality and overall resolution is quite a bit better than the Shure all-BA flagship (KSE1500 is another story).
I hope Dunu plans to have a few demo units around in Germany or EU in general, esp the big cities. A number of people I know have tried to demo them to no avail. EU taxation is a big deal indeed but I've seen people pay more than usual just to get better service and reliability. Perhaps something to work towards in the future?

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #351 of 664
I purposely avoided listening to these last night as I needed some much needed sleep & didn’t want to get sucked into a late night listening session (as impressions/reviews suggested I would), but I’ve had these in my ears since waking this morning and I am loving them. Decided I’d ease into the day so I put Agnes Obel on shuffle (FiiO M15 on SE); left-right stereo imaging, instrument separation, resolution & staging are excellent. Will try other artists/genres later as Agnes Obel tends to be more intimate as opposed to concert staging. On a related note, I had no issues using these in bed, even on my side. I notice with most IEMs I tend to get some cutoff on whichever side/ear I happen to be laying on; the venting on the SA6 seems to help.

Should also add that my other IEM-of-the-moment (yeah, I have too many) is the EE Hero. Compared to the SA6 it can sound bright at times. It’s a testament to the all-BA SA6 that it can sound more organic than the Hero with its hybrid setup.
I’d appreciate more comparisons Hero v. SA6. Had an eye on SA6 for awhile. Still do. There’s a certain bite or brilliance I enjoy in Hero but upper mids are troublesome to my ears. Switch off to 3kpro and I miss that bite but upmids much smoother. A sweet spot there, somewhere, I’ve not found iem-wise. Piano sounds wonderful on Hero. 3kpro balanced and smooth, a keeper.

Edit: After some determined comparisons, I’ve concluded my ears are oversensitive to uppermid/treble range. My hearing and observations are gonna be strongly biased by this. Very unfortunate. This hobby can have a terribly steep learning curve. And equally steep costs. Forward!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #352 of 664

1) BGVP DM6

2) Magaosi K5
3) Fearless R6Rui
4) BQEYZ Spring 2
5) DUNU Studio SA6

6) qdc Anole V3

In concerning the smallest of the multiple driver IEMs; the DUNU SA6 remains on the smaller of the smallest. Which do you think is my favorite for SQ and fit?

final group.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #353 of 664
After weeks of trialing various portable sources in conjunction with the Studio SA6, I've settled on the Questyle QP1R + Studio SA6 combo. Despite not having a balanced output, the single-ended out of QP1R brings a level of dynamics on the table that's hard to match. The SA6 has gobs of detail, but never gets strident. Imaging is as accurate as ever, the bass is a bit more controlled than on the Sony ZX300 and finally the layering is practically flawless for the most part.

I will now try out my desktop sources and see how the SA6 fares/scales with them.

IMG_9067.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #354 of 664

1) BGVP DM6

2) Magaosi K5
3) Fearless R6Rui
4) BQEYZ Spring 2
5) DUNU Studio SA6

6) qdc Anole V3

In concerning the smallest of the multiple driver IEMs; the DUNU SA6 remains on the smaller of the smallest. Which do you think is my favorite for SQ and fit?

set 1 detail.jpg
:thinking: SA6, some I know on the list cant compete, some at a far higher price points neither :beerchug:

Q-6

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #355 of 664
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #356 of 664
2DC84DF0-AB90-4261-B8FE-60DD19F30781.jpeg
225BC35C-1ACD-43B5-A102-53E23FE6B484.jpeg
03ED62FF-E2B2-44A5-B005-B2F807608524.jpeg
A2CDA362-7FB3-4F9F-9D66-DAFD85C496A7.jpeg

A fast shipping from Penon and SA6 is in my ears. Tuning is very pleasant and sound quite natural. A very good first impression!

18C496A3-F174-4AD0-8945-1B27A530FD01.jpeg

Trying to finding a good combo
(CEMA Tianwaitian and E1DA 9038S fits the bill)

7F96F700-57F5-4C4E-84EC-1D7FE5847FBC.jpeg

Frequency response vs Sony.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #358 of 664
Has anyone made a comparison between Dunu SA6 and Fearless Audio S8Z or Moondrop S8?

Ask me again in a week. Once I get my SA6 delivered, all I will be listening to are those three.

EDIT: I guess I can add a little about what I will be listening for. These are not impressions, more like reasons why I found the graph of these IEMs intriguing enough to warrant the purchase. So, I'll be explaining what I'm hoping for in these comparisons, not what I've heard.

While I love the Moondrop S8 for its insane detail and separation, it's got a small scoop in the upper bass/lower mids that ends up making some music sound bass light and note weight generally thin. Unless the music has a fair amount of sub-bass, then the S8 can veer in the other direction and sound too bassy, yet weirdly still thin. In other words, the bass has a bit of a coherence issue to my ears. Incidentally, this is why I skipped over the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and (especially) Monarch, as their graphs suggest an exaggerated version of this. I'm hoping that the SA6 gives a bit more body to notes in this range. I'm also hoping that the less energy in the 2-4khz range will give the Dunu a more natural sound than the often artificially bright S8.

While I love the Fearless S8Z, it has a small spike right at 5800hz that ends up being problematic in quite a lot of music. Cymbals can end up sound overly hot and splashy, so I typically trim that down with EQ about 3 db. Big improvement. The SA6 has a dip there, so I doubt that cymbals will be too hot, but maybe they won't have enough energy. We shall see. I'll be building a EQ preset for that area just in case. The SA6 seems to have a lot more treble extension past 10khz than the S8Z, about the same as the S8, so I'm hoping for a good amount of air for an IEM.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #359 of 664
Ask me again in a week. Once I get my SA6 delivered, all I will be listening to are those three.

EDIT: I guess I can add a little about what I will be listening for. These are not impressions, more like reasons why I found the graph of these IEMs intriguing enough to warrant the purchase. So, I'll be explaining what I'm hoping for in these comparisons, not what I've heard.

While I love the Moondrop S8 for its insane detail and separation, it's got a small scoop in the upper bass/lower mids that ends up making some music sound bass light and note weight generally thin. Unless the music has a fair amount of sub-bass, then the S8 can veer in the other direction and sound too bassy, yet weirdly still thin. In other words, the bass has a bit of a coherence issue to my ears. Incidentally, this is why I skipped over the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and (especially) Monarch, as their graphs suggest an exaggerated version of this. I'm hoping that the SA6 gives a bit more body to notes in this range. I'm also hoping that the less energy in the 2-4khz range will give the Dunu a more natural sound than the often artificially bright S8.

While I love the Fearless S8Z, it has a small spike right at 5800hz that ends up being problematic in quite a lot of music. Cymbals can end up sound overly hot and splashy, so I typically trim that down with EQ about 3 db. Big improvement. The SA6 has a dip there, so I doubt that cymbals will be too hot, but maybe they won't have enough energy. We shall see. I'll be building a EQ preset for that area just in case. The SA6 seems to have a lot more treble extension past 10khz than the S8Z, about the same as the S8, so I'm hoping for a good amount of air for an IEM.
Thanks for your answer. I wait to ask you in about ten days then :relaxed: :innocent: ...... In the meantime, I wanted to try to ask if you have also had the opportunity to listen to QDC 8 (SL or SS) of which the very few reviews that can be found speak well, as those that they possess or have had the opportunity to listen to are very few. I don't know if for the cost or because they are difficult to resell, ..... but everyone talks about them very well. If you know anything about QDCs I will be happy to hear from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back