Dunu-Topsound Studio?
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #361 of 664
Ask me again in a week. Once I get my SA6 delivered, all I will be listening to are those three.

EDIT: I guess I can add a little about what I will be listening for. These are not impressions, more like reasons why I found the graph of these IEMs intriguing enough to warrant the purchase. So, I'll be explaining what I'm hoping for in these comparisons, not what I've heard.

While I love the Moondrop S8 for its insane detail and separation, it's got a small scoop in the upper bass/lower mids that ends up making some music sound bass light and note weight generally thin. Unless the music has a fair amount of sub-bass, then the S8 can veer in the other direction and sound too bassy, yet weirdly still thin. In other words, the bass has a bit of a coherence issue to my ears. Incidentally, this is why I skipped over the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and (especially) Monarch, as their graphs suggest an exaggerated version of this. I'm hoping that the SA6 gives a bit more body to notes in this range. I'm also hoping that the less energy in the 2-4khz range will give the Dunu a more natural sound than the often artificially bright S8.

While I love the Fearless S8Z, it has a small spike right at 5800hz that ends up being problematic in quite a lot of music. Cymbals can end up sound overly hot and splashy, so I typically trim that down with EQ about 3 db. Big improvement. The SA6 has a dip there, so I doubt that cymbals will be too hot, but maybe they won't have enough energy. We shall see. I'll be building a EQ preset for that area just in case. The SA6 seems to have a lot more treble extension past 10khz than the S8Z, about the same as the S8, so I'm hoping for a good amount of air for an IEM.

In the sense that Moondrop S8 has lower bass than SA6 or has less punchy bass than SA6?

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #362 of 664
In the sense that Moondrop S8 has lower bass than SA6 or has less punchy bass than SA6?

I suspect what I'm looking for in the SA6 comes down to more upper bass. My complaint about the S8 bass is that the way it's situated makes notes sound lean and then, for some music, the bass thump is overly pronounced. It's not awful, by any means, and certainly EQable.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #363 of 664
SA6 is not an iem for deep and pronounced bass lovers. I personally don't like the low and sub low range. In fact, I find the speed, detail and extreme control of the low range of the SA6 valuable

I've never listened to the Moondrop. I just read that it has a NOT very pronounced bass range too. Or maybe not deep. But then again .... I've never listened to the Moondrop S8

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #364 of 664
Just posted the review on SA3, overall really mature tonality. It has smooth and fatiguing free yet engaging sound, the female vocal presentation is realistic and top tier level for its price. If you looking for IEM in this price range, don’t forget to check this out. Have a great week.
My take on SA3:https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-sa3.24570/reviews#item-review-24843

ED7E7D3B-DD8C-4E64-8E85-05DC2B250437.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #365 of 664
Anyone care to share what tips are working best for them re SA6?
Also, I wonder if fit I have is similar to others? When inserted into ear, they extend out at the bottom and in at the top, ie they don’t sit evenly. I’m thinking placement of stationary, non-swivel, top cable connector cause this for me.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #366 of 664
Also, I wonder if fit I have is similar to others? When inserted into ear, they extend out at the bottom and in at the top, ie they don’t sit evenly. I’m thinking placement of stationary, non-swivel, top cable connector cause this for me.

I've been using the Acoustune AET08a, which gives a little deeper bass. Also tried Azla Sedna Earfit Light which works well.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #367 of 664

I am using good old Spiral Dots for me. Sounds great with wider bored tips.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #368 of 664
My SA6 arrived, and they are gorgeous! I was not expecting such a level of dynamism and depth to the color. They change so much with lighting and angle. Here's a couple photos to illustrate.

20201201_143000.jpg

20201201_142809.jpg

Now for some listening...

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #369 of 664
2B5A5A2D-80CF-45E9-97DE-E6B2A868F2F4.jpeg

Finally I had some free time to listen to the SA6.

Overall, very mature tuning with every frequency range faithfully reproduced.

Finding its bass super addictive.
So clean, controlled and well extended!

Feels like a breath of fresh air after enduring through some badly implemented hybrids, where disjointed bass driver lagging behind speedy BA drivers creating all sorts of problems. (Phase coherency, timbre, imaging etc.)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #371 of 664
My SA6 arrived, and they are gorgeous! I was not expecting such a level of dynamism and depth to the color. They change so much with lighting and angle. Here's a couple photos to illustrate.

20201201_143000.jpg

Now for some listening...

Stunningly beautiful shells might be my favorites so far

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #372 of 664
I have to say, I have been seeing so many positive comments on the sound quality and I was here struggling with fit, seal and comfort. This morning I tried the ear hole filling Spiral Dot and the ++ ear tips and voila...I am hearing it. I do not know why I didn't try them before, they are usually one of my first go to. Because of my ear anatomy I sometimes struggle with shallow fit IEMs. Not a fault of DUNU, their design is nice, but my large earholes by God's design. Hopefully, I can now start to put together some review notes.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #373 of 664
I have to say, I have been seeing so many positive comments on the sound quality and I was here struggling with fit, seal and comfort. This morning I tried the ear hole filling Spiral Dot and the ++ ear tips and voila...I am hearing it. I do not know why I didn't try them before, they are usually one of my first go to. Because of my ear anatomy I sometimes struggle with shallow fit IEMs. Not a fault of DUNU, their design is nice, but my large earholes by God's design. Hopefully, I can now start to put together some review notes.

I do have the same large canals blessing/curse and shallow IEMs require their own solutions... Flare Earfoams are quite a blessing (but your IEM looks like you have mounted tires on them lol) but I also use my custom silicon tips when it's really bad. I didn't need this for the SA6 though. Great to know you have a fit look forward to your impressions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back