Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Apr 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #961 of 3,012
Originally Posted by luberconn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'm pretty sure Dunu has been getting bugged with detachable cable request for a couple years now.  that was a common complaint of the dn1000 and dn2000.  but those too, were designed to be worn cable down. 

It's not a problem with them because they don't require a specific orientation like the Titan 1 does.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #963 of 3,012
For the price, it's amazing! If the bass was a little tighter this could have been a mid-tier killer!

Awesome d marc0! I'm glad that you're being able to listen to them, and that you are enjoying them so much.
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #964 of 3,012
  They're really good huh

thats for sure! 
  Totally understand. 

The Titan 1 is different from other IEMs, they seem to present music like a full sized headphone. 

whats interesting is that (at least for me) even though they are semi-open- open, they are still passable for walking around the mall (where i need situational awareness, so i don't bump into people and things) but at least for me leakage isn't bad (more than other earphones) but not bothersome in the least ( i have them at about 50% on my ipod touch 4th gen). Was hanging them around my neck when i was waiting in line  for the customer service and didn't really notice the music, unless i was listening for it.

For the price, it's amazing! If the bass was a little tighter this could have been a mid-tier killer!

i think the bass is pretty tight already (not as tight as the gr07be i have here) but not sloppy at all, i think they are killer

i do wish the nozzle was a bit longer though ( with the stock sony hybrids, they seal perfectly, and are comfortable as well for short session) but maybe its my left ear (but i feel the housing rubbing against my ear)---> i'm testing it the next few days with the sky blue gr07 eartips (which are similar to the sony hybrids but longer)---> i'll report back my findings! 

but yes over ear wear configuration would be nice (there is some microphonics on them when walking around) 

but going on the soundstage it sounds very clean as well, even with the bass emphasis (with some thickness to give the bass some authority).. very enjoyable right now (especially with rock music, where it can sound congested, with everything thats going on, cymbal crashes, guitar riffs, bass guitars, and kick drums, and of course vocals. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #965 of 3,012
  i think the bass is pretty tight already (not as tight as the gr07be i have here) but not sloppy at all, i think they are killer

Oh, I didn't mean that the titan is slow or sloppy. It's pretty good for most genres.
But mid-tier killer they are not.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #967 of 3,012
People usually go by price range although some manufacturers have top tier models just under $300 which is really great value. There is no real "standard" and personally IMO this is how I rank them:

Registered retail price upon release.
Budget: under $100
Low tier: $100 - $300
Mid tier: $300 - $900
TOTL: over $900

This is just my opinion... No factual reference.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #968 of 3,012
Well I think most people would consider $300-$900 to be "high-end." Well, most people here maybe. Your average person just walking around thinks spending over $100 on a pair of "earbuds" is ludicrous.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #969 of 3,012
People usually go by price range although some manufacturers have top tier models just under $300 which is really great value. There is no real "standard" and personally IMO this is how I rank them:

Awesome, thanks for the reply... I just thought you may have had something I mind in reference. I am always looking for the next level (as I imagine is a pretty common head-fi curse) even as I enjoy the heck out of what I have...

How do they stack up against something like your fad's? I have been curious about their sound for a while...

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #970 of 3,012
Awesome, thanks for the reply... I just thought you may have had something I mind in reference. I am always looking for the next level (as I imagine is a pretty common head-fi curse) even as I enjoy the heck out of what I have...

How do they stack up against something like your fad's? I have been curious about their sound for a while...

The Titans can stand up to the Heaven V but not totally. The V has gotta be one of the best vocal/mids I've heard from an iem. Very refined and smooth. If only its upper treble extended well then the titans have nothing over the V except bass slam.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #971 of 3,012
Well I think most people would consider $300-$900 to be "high-end." Well, most people here maybe. Your average person just walking around thinks spending over $100 on a pair of "earbuds" is ludicrous.

Totally agree. Yes $300-$900 can be high-end but definitely not TOTL. I had the same mindset when I first started in this hobby. But as I learned more, heard more, and experienced more... My view on hifi gear changed. My buying power hasn't changed but my desire for better gear definitely has!

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #972 of 3,012

Mid: $100 - $300
Upper: $300 - $500
High: $500 - $900
Summit: over $900

pretty much how i see it.  just different terms...mostly because $300-900 is still high end, but not with the elite giants.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #973 of 3,012

Is it because of the tighter and more impactful bass, plus the added clarity up top?
My Altone is also one of the early prototypes and it actually sounds quite close to the Titan except for the ones I mentioned above...

Yeah definitely, I would say the bass is slightly tighter and definitely deeper extended which suits my listening habits a bit better
Clarity is slightly better on the Altone200's and I don't really find them harsh tbh, I think the sit on the border of what's acceptable and what's too much
Titans are more of a cruisy earphone to listen to, energetic but relaxing at the same time
Titans are pretty damn tight in the bass from what I recall but lacks extension but that separation is something special (I know I'm repeating myself)
I think the Titans manage clarity in not through brightness alone but just it's design and ventilation, so that is some innovation by the Dunu, major props

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #974 of 3,012
  Yeah definitely, I would say the bass is slightly tighter and definitely deeper extended which suits my listening habits a bit better
Clarity is slightly better on the Altone200's and I don't really find them harsh tbh, I think the sit on the border of what's acceptable and what's too much
Titans are more of a cruisy earphone to listen to, energetic but relaxing at the same time
Titans are pretty damn tight in the bass from what I recall but lacks extension but that separation is something special (I know I'm repeating myself)
I think the Titans manage clarity in not through brightness alone but just it's design and ventilation, so that is some innovation by the Dunu, major props

i find that the titans are more on the energetic/ lively side> relaxing

there is a peak in the treble (that i find could use a bit of smoothing out with the comply t400s)-  i enjoy them a bit more (but complys are not as practical for me, cause you have to compress them and hold them in your ear, and they also wear out faster (> silicones obviously), so its harder to take them in and out easily

but i think with the stock silcones (the sony hybrids) its manageble in the treble (i'm not treble sensitive, (have plenty of experience with the gr07be and the sennheiser amperior and fxt90s) all not lacking in the treble

thats interesting! cause i'm really hesitant on spending on what you would call totl (even mid tier is kind of shady for me) maybe if those earphones were on a discount!

penny for your thoughts! do you think you can give us 3 examples of your favs in each category?

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #975 of 3,012
The Titans can stand up to the Heaven V but not totally. The V has gotta be one of the best vocal/mids I've heard from an iem. Very refined and smooth. If only its upper treble extended well then the titans have nothing over the V except bass slam.

Heh, I compared the Titan to the Heaven VI and preferred the Titan. Heaven VI doesn't have the extension at both ends and sounds more closed in, though midrange is nice. I will do a full write up once i get my review unit as I only had a limited loan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back