DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 878

starck86

100+ Head-Fier
LUNA by DUNU
The LUNA is DUNU's newest flagship - and the world's first pure beryllium rolled foil IEM.​

I decided to start this thread after I purchased the LUNA from DUNU. After receiving the Luna, opening it up, and having a listen...a few hours went by, then days...of listening. I've finally gotten around to posting some pictures, and will also post a review in the coming days (with multiple sources, if that helps).

In a nutshell, I'm a huge fan of this IEM.

I'll note that I have zero affiliation with any audio companies, stores, or anything like that. I just enjoy DUNU's stuff - ever since they released the DN-1000, I was hooked! Okay, on to the info!

Info from DUNU's website (Actually, just visit their site, it's pretty):

CONCEPT
We partnered with Hangzhou-based designer and long-time audiophile Moses Xu and his team at Zinc Studio & Audio Salon for the industrial design.

LUNA is a story within itself, reflecting the spirit of the first moon landing 50 years ago, and elevating the manner in which in-ear monitors are perceived.

「玥」is the representative Chinese character for the LUNA, signifies a heavenly, pearlescent gift from the gods. From this luminous, round canvas, Xu worked to elevate every design element for the LUNA, blending them seamlessly with an overarching moon landing theme.

HEAVENLY PEARL
LUNA’s circular, concave faceplate serves as a physical representation for the changing albedo of the moon across each moon phase, while the asymmetric lip delineates waxing and waning crescentic shapes.

The outer facet of LUNA’s CNC body of custom-formed titanium alloy is sandblasted to reflect subtle specular highlights, just as the craterous central concavity draws in a penumbra of shadow.

The inner facet of the body preserves distinct lines created by the machining process, creating natural contour lines much like a topographic map. Functionally, the concave recess and slanted lip allow LUNA to be inserted and removed comfortably.

MAN & MOON
Whereas the body of the LUNA is contoured, the beveled edges of the cable connector interface represent a more technical facet to the moon theme --- an abstract representation of the Apollo spacecraft.

Transitioning from man-made starkness to celestial fluidity, the smooth, domed end cap serves as a point of transition from human engineering to planetary body.

From the side, with cables attached, one can make out the profile of an orbital path taken to the moon. Finally, when turned on its side, custom-made blue silicone tips serve as a reminder of Earth as seen from the Moon.

CONSTRUCTION
TITANIUM HOUSINGS
LUNA's housings are precision machined entirely from a custom-modified grade 5 titanium alloy.

Known for its structural integrity, grade 5 titanium alloy, also known as Ti-6Al-4V and TC4, is notable for its prevalent, workhorse-type use in aerospace and other industries where the strength of titanium is its highly important.

But we reformulated this alloy with a custom-modified composition of rare earth metals to minimize the ringing properties of titanium. Doing so allowed DUNU to bring out the natural, ‘colorless’ timbre of its one-of-a-kind driver.

MACHINED TOPOGRAPHY
The inner facet of the housing bodies preserves distinct lines created by the machining process, creating natural contour lines much like a topographic map.

The moon is packed with copious amounts of precious Titanium ore, and these contours delineate a denuded surface landscape that defines LUNA.

STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY
Every component of LUNA's housings has been carefully considered, to maximize structural rigidity and to minimize cavitary resonances.

Our parts tolerances have been shrunken down to the smallest possible to ensure that its components, like those in a moonfaring spacecraft, are securely sequestered from the environment.

BERYLLIUM
GENUINE BERYLLIUM
The acoustic grade rolled foil beryllium at the heart of LUNA's 10 millimeter speaker module is sourced from Materion Corporation (née Brush Wellman Electrofusion), the world's foremost extractor and processor of beryllium metals.

Beryllium is believed to be the ideal speaker material. An extremely high stiffness-to-mass ratio (high Young's modulus, low density) allows beryllium to possess a very high speed of sound at over 12,000 meters per second, around two and a half times faster than other commonly used cone/diaphragm materials like aluminum.

The very low Poisson's ratio of beryllium potentiates its ability to maintain pistonic motion of the driver, even at the edges of a diaphragm, and in turn preserves the imaging properties of the music being reproduced. The very high Debye temperature of beryllium also means the lattice structure of the beryllium metal is retained even at very high frequencies, translating to remarkable treble evenness. All these unique properties of beryllium enable audio designers to gain extra octaves of clean, non-distorting, non-ringing, high-resolution sonic output at both ends of the sonic spectrum.

SUSPENSION & MOUNTING
A one-of-a-kind diaphragm material begets an one-of-a-kind driver design. The major engineering hurdle DUNU had to overcome during the development of the LUNA was the process of getting the rolled foil beryllium diaphragm to be bonded circumferentially to a very thin polyurethane suspension.

Doing so required formulating bespoke glues, lightweight and thin enough so as not to impact the total weight of the acoustic system, and reliable enough to be glued evenly against a very thin lip and still confer enough durability to sustain the immense mechanical energy delivered during driver excursion.

ABSOLUTE CONTROL
To harness and control the motion of the beryllium foil, LUNA's N52 Neodymium magnetic system was custom-ordered to impart much higher magnetic flux across the European-imported CCAW voice coil, especially when compared to conventional magnet systems.

ENGINEERED REFERENCE
To prove our driver design, we carried out high-speed vibrometry of LUNA's pure beryllium foil driver at a third party site.

With fully preserved pistonic motion across the entire driver, it only made sense that LUNA was tuned to a reference sound signature --- deep and natural imaging, even and smooth from top to bottom, and maximized for extension at both ends.

The result is the most supremely detailed, transparent, sumptuous sounding earpiece ever crafted by DUNU, and our best representative of beryllium’s full sonic potential.

SPECIFICATIONS
BRAND: DUNU
MODEL: LUNA
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5 Hz - 40 kHz
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: 0.2% at 1 kHz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 16 Ω
SENSITIVITY: 110 dB at 1 kHz
DRIVE MODULE: 10 mm Acoustic-Grade Pure Beryllium Rolled Foil with Polyurethane Suspension
HOUSING MATERIAL: Titanium Alloy, Grade 5 (Ti-6Al-4V, TC4, with modified rare earth metal formulation)
NET WEIGHT: 10.3 g
CABLE LENGTH: 1.2 m
CABLE MATERIAL: Mixed Strands of Furukawa Electric Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) Copper & DHC Silver, with Silver-Plated OCC Copper Shield Surround
CABLE CONNECTOR: Patented Catch-Hold® MMCX Connector
PLUG CONNECTOR: Patented DUNU Quick-Switch Modular Plug System

Unboxing pics to follow in the next post! I know this is a brand new IEM, but hopefully there are some other owners out there who want to discuss their impressions of the LUNA too. I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can as well.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 878
Unboxing pics (I have now learned that I should just not touch black foam with my fingers...I leave fingerprints everywhere...!):

It's a rather large black box. I realize now that in my excitement, I didn't take a picture of the unopened box. Use your imagination ; ). Just kidding - if you want, I can do that. It's a black box though with the following on the outside:

IMG_6787.JPG

Upon opening:
IMG_6731.JPG

What's this? Landing pads? Multi-tiered boxes?

IMG_6737.JPG

One side is in Chinese; the other, in English (the Hue Go lamp was actually both useful for lighting purposes and kind of fit the theme, so I left it in the shot - hah):

IMG_6870.JPG IMG_6872.JPG

That's the first layer...note that the engraving in the steel has this sort of color changing property to it when moved in the light, as such, the following is possible - quite beautiful and subtle - coming up:
IMG_6873.JPG IMG_6865.JPG
IMG_6866.JPG IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6780.JPG IMG_6774.JPG

And...(not an easy thing to photograph in the evening, and I'm just a hobbyist photographer - not my best work!)
IMG_6893.JPG IMG_6889.JPG IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6885.JPG IMG_6886.JPG IMG_6887.JPG IMG_6894.JPG IMG_6749.JPG

Sure, let's go to the moon (one of the 'landing pads' on the outside of the box):
IMG_6892.JPG

1st Box Layer - Cable, tips, everything you could ask for:
IMG_6896.JPG

2nd Box Layer - USB-C DAC, USB-C to USB adapter, spinfit tips, leather carry case, and box with a manual:
IMG_6882.JPG

3rd Box Layer - Second Leather Carry Case (For IEMs + DAP or adapters, etc). One of the boxes contained a carry strap for said case. The other box - I honestly can't remember what was in it. That's how much stuff this came with!
IMG_6799.JPG

A few other accessories are also included - IEM cleaner brush thingy, comply tips (maybe that's what was in that second rectangular box?), airplane adapter, and a rather neat cable clip for your shirt with a pretty unique spring loaded mechanism.

I should note that I've reached the picture limit for this post - I hope you enjoyed....Let me know if you'd like any additional pictures. In my excitement while opening everything, I am sure it's possible I might have missed something!

I'll be posting my impressions over the next couple of days - by the end of the weekend - as I finish writing up my thoughts (and plus, the SMSL M500 just came in, so...).

I will say that the LUNA continues to surprise me.

Attachments

• IMG_6871.JPG
    IMG_6871.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    538.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 878
I hope it will trickle into a hybrid someday.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 878
My 'abbreviated' impressions are below; note that I will post full/additional impressions in another few days once I get my N6ii back (my current source selection is limited to the SMSL M500 right now). I should note that I do not use EQ (unless otherwise stated below, so basically, never), and all files used are lossless rips (FLAC, etc.).

The other reason why this is taking me a bit longer to write up is simply because, well, I'm having a very hard time finding anything I don't like about the luna. And finally, because there's just so much to say about this IEM.

For those that haven't read it, my previous review on head-fi comparing the Dunu DK-4001 and the Dunu 17th anniversary IEMs can be found here. In the first paragraph of that review, I mentioned the following:

...in my mind, if there was a model which combined the amazing details (and bass/subbass details - I'm not a basshead, but the DK-4001 has immaculate bass handling) of the DK-4001 with the smoothness and sweetness of the 17th Anniversary IEM, then I think it'd be close to - or at - perfection. Maybe that is what the Luna will be. I'm not sure. Whether such an earphone is even possible to create is another story, and probably a discussion which I'm not quite qualified to weigh in on. : )

In a nutshell, I think the Luna is pretty much that very combination, but on a grander scale.

The Luna seems to handle pretty much any genre I've thrown at it with ease. Dynamics, soundstage, tuning are absolutely incredible.

I look forward to Jude/head-fi's test measurements of the Luna. My initial impression is that I suspect it would test pretty 'flat' from its reported range all the way down from 5Hz up to 40kHz. (Perhaps a slight dip in the upper mid? Maybe not.). I'm not a piece of test equipment (at least, not to my knowledge), so I'd like to see what comes out from the test results as another piece to the story. That being said, it's not as if this is an IEM that sounds 'flat,' in case that wasn't obvious.

I believe Dunu has stated that this IEM had a reference tuning (correct me if I am wrong). I'd agree with that statement, with the caveat that what you hear is anything but flat, per say. Just like listening to my pair of ADS L980s, which also were designed as a reference monitor (and at the time touted as 'the most accurate transducer possible'), both transducers are anything but 'flat' - but they do both seem to accurately play the music as it was recorded/mastered and intended.

Playing 'The Queen of all Everything' by Ott elicits deep bass with delightful high end notes that sparkle but do not offend. DSD tracks especially sound quite wonderful - and especially so with audiophile-type recordings featuring vocals. (I should note that in the past, I have had mixed feelings about MQA/DSD, etc., and honestly didn't really care much about such tracks, as long as they were lossless and well recorded/mastered, fine with me...until listening with the Luna. DSD tracks absolutely shine!).

In my view, the Luna essentially retains much of the details and bass articulation of the DK-4001, but with a wider soundstage, presented on a MUCH grander scale, and with a coherence unlike any other.

It's a bit like, say, the Dunu DK-4001 (re: details, bass articulation), the Dunu 17th anniversary edition (re: smooth, musical), and a magnetic planar IEM (re: beryllium driver speed!) all had a baby. A bit.

That’s a really, really, overly simplistic analogy, and there’s much more to this IEM than that, but that’s kind of the best way I can describe it right now.

This, combined with the coherence of the beryllium single driver makes the Luna FASCINATING to me - it continues to surprise me with the way music is presented.

Currently listening via: MacBook Pro -> Lossless Audio (Audirvana) -> USB Kimber Kable -> SMSL M500 (M500 is admittedly not the best source; simply using it because it's available in the absence of the N6ii):

Artist: Porcupine Tree
Album: Recordings
Song: Buying New Soul

In a few more days, I'll try to post a more detailed follow-up once the N6ii is back in my hands. I'll include sources used, test songs used, as well as fit, build quality, what eartips work best for me, etc.

I also hope to also complement it with a full follow-up comparison of these three Dunu models: the Luna, the DK-4001, and the 17th anniversary edition.

Thanks for reading - if you'd like to know anything else, or have any specific tracks you'd like me to test with the Luna, just let me know and I'm happy to do my best to oblige!

Edit #1: clarity and spelling!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 878
My 'abbreviated' impressions are below; note that I will post full/additional impressions in another few days once I get my N6ii back (my current source selection is limited to the SMSL M500 right now). I should note that I do not use EQ (unless otherwise stated below, so basically, never), and all files used are lossless rips (FLAC, etc.).

The other reason why this is taking me a bit longer to write up is simply because, well, I'm having a very hard time finding anything I don't like about the luna. And finally, because there's just so much to say about this IEM.

For those that haven't read it, my previous review on head-fi comparing the Dunu DK-4001 and the Dunu 17th anniversary IEMs can be found here. In the first paragraph of that review, I mentioned the following:

In a nutshell, I think the Luna is pretty much that very combination, but on a grander scale.

The Luna seems to handle pretty much any genre I've thrown at it with ease. Dynamics, soundstage, tuning are absolutely incredible.

I look forward to Jude/head-fi's test measurements of the Luna. My initial impression is that I suspect it would test pretty 'flat' from its reported range all the way down from 5Hz up to 40kHz. (Perhaps a slight dip in the upper mid? Maybe not.). I'm not a piece of test equipment (at least, not to my knowledge), so I'd like to see what comes out from the test results as another piece to the story. That being said, it's not as if this is an IEM that sounds 'flat,' in case that wasn't obvious.

I believe Dunu has stated that this IEM had a reference tuning (correct me if I am wrong). I'd agree with that statement, with the caveat that what you hear is anything but flat, per say. Just like listening to my pair of ADS L980s, which also were designed as a reference monitor (and at the time touted as 'the most accurate transducer possible'), both transducers are anything but 'flat' - but they do both seem to accurately play the music as it was recorded/mastered and intended.

Playing 'The Queen of all Everything' by Ott elicits deep bass with delightful high end notes that sparkle but do not offend. DSD tracks especially sound quite wonderful - and especially so with audiophile-type recordings featuring vocals. (I should note that in the past, I have had mixed feelings about MQA/DSD, etc., and honestly didn't really care much about such tracks, as long as they were lossless and well recorded/mastered, fine with me...until listening with the Luna. DSD tracks absolutely shine!).

In my view, the Luna essentially retains much of the details and bass articulation of the DK-4001, but with a wider soundstage, presented on a MUCH grander scale, and with a coherence unlike any other.

It's a bit like, say, the Dunu DK-4001 (re: details, bass articulation), the Dunu 17th anniversary edition (re: smooth, musical), and a magnetic planar IEM (re: beryllium driver speed!) all had a baby. A bit.

That’s a really, really, overly simplistic analogy, and there’s much more to this IEM than that, but that’s kind of the best way I can describe it right now.

This, combined with the coherence of the beryllium single driver makes the Luna FASCINATING to me - it continues to surprise me with the way music is presented.

Currently listening via: MacBook Pro -> Lossless Audio (Audirvana) -> USB Kimber Kable -> SMSL M500 (M500 is admittedly not the best source; simply using it because it's available in the absence of the N6ii):

Artist: Porcupine Tree
Album: Recordings
Song: Buying New Soul

In a few more days, I'll try to post a more detailed follow-up once the N6ii is back in my hands. I'll include sources used, test songs used, as well as fit, build quality, what eartips work best for me, etc.

I also hope to also complement it with a full follow-up comparison of these three Dunu models: the Luna, the DK-4001, and the 17th anniversary edition.

Thanks for reading - if you'd like to know anything else, or have any specific tracks you'd like me to test with the Luna, just let me know and I'm happy to do my best to oblige!

Edit #1: clarity and spelling!

Sounds tasty. And great choice of music, Buying New Soul is one my favourites ever. Can't wait to hear more impressions.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 878
R-5542829-1396093268-1121.jpeg.jpg

Try track #8 of this one : "The Dragon"

For coherency and drive :blush:

I'm having a great time with Mr Wakenius and the 4001 EQed

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 878
The energy in the restitution, you'll know when you hear it. Hopefully :laughing:

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 878
The energy in the restitution, you'll know when you hear it. Hopefully :laughing:

That’s really, really nice!

Only listened briefly for now but...Nice with both the 4001 and the Luna; though I’ve noticed the Luna is especially great with acoustic guitar in songs like that...

Slight echos as the chords/notes ring out from the strings, and wonderful details. Extremely coherent. (Edit - I should note I listened like one time but oh man I see what you mean about using that as a test..more listening needed... ; ) )

I’m going to be listening to the rest of that album later - thank you very much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back