Dunu-TopSound Hephaes Review

Specs:

Driver type:  Dynamic 9mm
Freq. Response: 10~20KHz
SPL: 105±2dB
Impedance: 16ohms
Plug Size:  3.5mm Gold Plated
Cord Length: 1.2m
Wire Material: Multilayer leading pipe micro folded yarns structure.

Source used in this review:
Apple Lossless/FLAC/APE/WAV/CD/a few 320k
iPhone 3GS Headphone Out
Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 USB Headphone Out

Video Unboxing:

Initial impression when fresh out of the box:

When I first auditioned the Hephaes, the first thing I noticed, is the amount of bass put out by these IEM, at that moment, it was too overpower for my taste (might favor bassheads), I kept listening, the boasted bass made the mids recessed, creating a V-shaped sound(Not as deep V as the Beats Tour), at that moment, the sibilance was pretty pronounced. Therefore, I immediately put them through biwavegen (biwavegen is a burn-in program for those of you who don’t know).

Burn In Progress:

I set the biwavegen for White Noise 2hours > 30minute rest > repeat for 24 hours. Then put it though my burn-in list, which contain classical, pop, rock, and jazz for about 5hours of music shuffled, do that twice a day(5 hours rest in between). Till I have got 50 Hours of burn in time.

50 Hours Review

As I you might be able to tell in the initial impression, I didn’t quite favor the Hephaes when I first auditioned it, here is what I think about the Hephaes after 50 hours of burn in.

The overall packaging looks really similar to the offering from Monster and the Beats by Dr. Dre line, a outer sleeve with the picture and info on the outside, when you peel away the sleeve, you will find the Dunu logo, fair simple package, no hassle to open at all. The accessories that comes with the Dunu-16 is really top-notch, comes with 9 sets of tips (if I counted correctly), pretty sure you will find one that fits your ear, 2 different carry pouch, one artificial leather pouch for low profile carrying, one coin-case style case for extra protection, the second case seems to be designed for girls imo., so I am not using that one when I am outside, also adds a bit of bulkiness to my pocket. It also comes with plastic ear hook for over ear wearing.
5/5 in accessories department.

The Hephaes is build from forged titanium; the build quality is really good for this price, feels nice and sturdy, aluminum cable cinch and y-split, questionable stress relief on the earpiece, the 45 degree L plug is good, will fit in almost any iPhone case. I just wish that the cable would be slightly thicker.

**Note on the ear tip attachment: they come off fairly easily, don’t lose them!!

This IEM has quite a bit of micro phonics when worn cable down, not an issue when the ear hook is in use wearing over ear.

Now, the sound; the sound signature of the Hephaes is quite balanced, roll off at the top end, this IEM is more geared towards bass and mids, slightly more forward than the highs. The sound is surprising clear (more clear than Shure SE215 for a comparison), fairly detailed, not on par with RE0 or other analytical IEM; the soundstage is average, and the speed is also quite average; the sibilance that I was hearing before is now less pronounced, will see as we go along.

The bass is one of the key feature of this IEM, since I am guess this is aiming for the Beats market, and I hope the Beats Tours(loan from my friend) will sound as good as this, simply, it doesn’t. This will beat the Beats Tour in every category, since the amount of bass is just good for my taste (I like the bass from TF10), the bass is punchy and tight, sounds really full, bass extension is good, this might because it’s benefiting from their patented “Power Bass System”, questionable, but it works.

The mids is another key to this IEM, the mids is slightly forward, making vocal more pronounced; the detailing here is quite good, offers good clarity and resolution. The mids might sound a tiny bit dry and lifeless to someone, those of you looking for thick and creamy mids can go elsewhere, the Hephaes are not for you in that sense. The bass bleed I was hearing at first is now barely noticeable, may even disappear after some more hours.

The treble is slightly recessed, since the bass and mids are more forward, didn’t spot any treble peak, nor is there much treble sparkle going on, fairly smooth sounding, detail is average here, treble energy is average as well.

Final Thoughts:

The Dunu-16 Hephaes, is good for the people who was thinking of buying Beats by Dre, since after you compare these to the Beats, you will know this is much better than the offerings from Dr. Dre. Also for comparison with SE215, I found these sounding more full than the SE215, due to it’s forward mids. I would say the sound is on par with the competition in this price range. But, have they got the SM3 SQ? No, I am afraid, I have auditioned the SM3 for a week, this still have quite a long way to go IMO. I would recommend this to people at the under $100 price range. 

Photos:

Packaging:

Inside:

Warranty Card:

Tips:

Dunu 16:

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 22
Nice review! Excellent pics! I find they need a bunch of burn in myself. The thinner and thicker can give a slight bit more or less in bass amount which is nice.

I see you mentioned the SM3. Is this because Dunu mentions SM3? It means Sennheiser sound quality level(vs. IE7 in the case of the DN-16) Monster inspired styling and 1/3 price( $299 for IE7 at release, $100 for DN-16 at release). The DUNU "SM3" has nothing to do with the Earsonics phone :)

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
Nice review! Excellent pics! I find they need a bunch of burn in myself. The thinner and thicker can give a slight bit more or less in bass amount which is nice.

I see you mentioned the SM3. Is this because Dunu mentions SM3? It means Sennheiser sound quality level(vs. IE7 in the case of the DN-16) Monster inspired styling and 1/3 price( $299 for IE7 at release, $100 for DN-16 at release). The DUNU "SM3" has nothing to do with the Earsonics phone :)

I have to agree that these need a lot of burn in... The outcome is worth it though :)

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I will update at 100hours or so to see whats what

Nice.  Can't wait to see :p  I've got around 175-200 hours on mine now...  I lost count though :p  I listened to them when I got them...  Then got sick the day after for a few days, just left them burning in...  Put them on after and was like, holy crap.  They do change, details come in :)

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
I will burn them in for 200Hours +, so many things to burn, all the Dunus, and the Westone 4

LOL, the BA Dunus (Ares and Crius) don't need too much burn in, they don't change much after 50-75 hours (or at least not like the Hephaes did).  The tridents had less burn in (from what I can remember) in comparison to the Hephaes.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 22
Nice review.  I've been burning mine in for 100-150 hours now.  I lost count.  I agree at first, I did not like these at all.  I actually put them up for sale until Rocky from Dunu advised me to burn them in for 200 hours.  They have come around and I can relate that the mids are forward and the overall balance is better.  The bass reminds me of a subwoofer.  I've been comparing them to the GR07 and the detail of the GR07 is much greater.  I think the mids of the Haphaes are more forward then the GR07.  I think the Haphaes are sounding better now but I still prefer the Trident over them.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Nice review.  I've been burning mine in for 100-150 hours now.  I lost count.  I agree at first, I did not like these at all.  I actually put them up for sale until Rocky from Dunu advised me to burn them in for 200 hours.  They have come around and I can relate that the mids are forward and the overall balance is better.  The bass reminds me of a subwoofer.  I've been comparing them to the GR07 and the detail of the GR07 is much greater.  I think the mids of the Haphaes are more forward then the GR07.  I think the Haphaes are sounding better now but I still prefer the Trident over them.  

I actually did prefer the Tridents at first...  Then after they broke in, the mids on the Hephaes caused me to go otherwise.  The Tridents still have the most preferred treble [for me anyways] of the series, Crius at a close second.  I just couldn't turn down the details that came in on the Hephaes.  I actually felt like you too...  I was like, these aren't that great, and plugged them in to burn them...  Then got sick...  Then put them back on and said, these sound sick :) 

Off-Topic: If DUNU can make a cross between the Crius and the Ares, I'll be in heaven :)

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I actually did prefer the Tridents at first...  Then after they broke in, the mids on the Hephaes caused me to go otherwise.  The Tridents still have the most preferred treble [for me anyways] of the series, Crius at a close second.  I just couldn't turn down the details that came in on the Hephaes.  I actually felt like you too...  I was like, these aren't that great, and plugged them in to burn them...  Then got sick...  Then put them back on and said, these sound sick :) 

Off-Topic: If DUNU can make a cross between the Crius and the Ares, I'll be in heaven :)

I'll have to do a comparison between the Haphaes and Trident.  I haven't since burn in of the Haphaes.  I haven't heard the Crius but I do like the Ares.  I was actually listening to them with the narrow nozzle tips and wasn't too impressed but when I tried the wide nozzles then things opened up and the Ares came to life.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

I'll have to do a comparison between the Haphaes and Trident.  I haven't since burn in of the Haphaes.  I haven't heard the Crius but I do like the Ares.  I was actually listening to them with the narrow nozzle tips and wasn't too impressed but when I tried the wide nozzles then things opened up and the Ares came to life.  

Do do that...  I did that after both burned in too. 

As for the Ares vs Crius, they both essentially have similar signatures.  The Crius focuses more on the treble while the Ares has a focus on the bass (amazing bass on those for BAs, they sound like dynamics :p).  The Ares has better bass and warmness while the Crius is brighter with much better treble extension. 

I have not tried the wider ear tips.  I'll give those a try, thanks for the tip. 

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, brought out the Ares a LOT, especially on the high side.  Now the Ares is my favorite in the set...  The Crius still has mid details on the Ares though.  The the Ares is more well rounded :)

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 22
Nice review! I did my own a few weeks back when they were just released, without too much burn in so I feel like I gotta go back and revise it. Just haven't had the time. From your review, it seems like were pretty much hearing the same thing, though I may have more burn in than you (these things stay in all night, every night) The little things changed quite a bit from when I first got em. Funny thing is, I actually enjoyed the bass more when I first got them. A bit more impact and better texture to me. But the highs do have more body now and detail is better with a much better soundstage. Quite a capable phone for the price tag. Have fun with em!

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Nice review! I did my own a few weeks back when they were just released, without too much burn in so I feel like I gotta go back and revise it. Just haven't had the time. From your review, it seems like were pretty much hearing the same thing, though I may have more burn in than you (these things stay in all night, every night) The little things changed quite a bit from when I first got em. Funny thing is, I actually enjoyed the bass more when I first got them. A bit more impact and better texture to me. But the highs do have more body now and detail is better with a much better soundstage. Quite a capable phone for the price tag. Have fun with em!

I agree with this 100%, the bass quantity and texture went away (which I do miss).  However, the payoff is more detail in the highs and low (which is what I liked).  I liked them out of the box due to the bass (but only the bass).  As they burned in, the bass went away and and the mids didn't have details yet, same was for the treble.  I didn't like this.  Further burn in showed the mid and treble shining through (which made me really like them :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back