DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 2, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #1,922 of 2,123
  Came to think of it. Anyone new to this hobby looking for their first IEM should take a good look at this. It will give you more than a substantial slice of what it's all about for less than $30 bucks.

Tenores are a great set, Doppio also.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,924 of 2,123
Well been trying the 2002 and 2000J's together. 

First of all build. The 2000J's are clearly sleeker and sexier while the 20002's are more unwieldy, however they fit my ears fine both over ear and straight down. But I can see how the 2002's wouldn't be for everyone's comfort.  In my case that is not an issue. The 2000J's have a nice build quality but the cable is quite thin and once you have the 20002's in your hand - well they are built like a tank and feel like one as well. They just give you more confidence IMO. The barrel for the cable connection is actually quite useful to use as a grabbing point to jam them in your ears with - so if the fit of the 20002's is fine with you, they are probably easier to insert over ear as the 2000J's, who only have a small housing to grab onto to jam them into your ears with.

As far as sound I did hours of A/B testing on these. Mostly with electronic music, some pop and rock.

This is WITH the bass rings on the 2000J's the entire time. Complys on both pairs. Bass slam is virtually identical. I couldn't pick one or the other. Overall sound signature is where things change a bit. Overall the 20002 is meatier and fuller whereas the 2000J is thinner and airier. While the bass slam is the same on both, the 2002 just has a little more roundness to the sound vs the 2000J. It works better for some tracks and not as good for others really, and the difference is not that big but it's there for sure. That's the best way I can describe it. HifiChris puts it into better words in his review http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2002/reviews/16013 

Overall I can't decide which to keep. Right now my pair of 2002's cuts in and out only when used with my phone which no other headset I have does. So those are going back. I'll order another pair of 2002's and see if they exhibit the same behavior or not and then make a final decision. now to test them against the FLC8S to decide if those are being sold or not.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,925 of 2,123
Well been trying the 2002 and 2000J's together. 

First of all build. The 2000J's are clearly sleeker and sexier while the 20002's are more unwieldy, however they fit my ears fine both over ear and straight down. But I can see how the 2002's wouldn't be for everyone's comfort.  In my case that is not an issue. The 2000J's have a nice build quality but the cable is quite thin and once you have the 20002's in your hand - well they are built like a tank and feel like one as well. They just give you more confidence IMO. The barrel for the cable connection is actually quite useful to use as a grabbing point to jam them in your ears with - so if the fit of the 20002's is fine with you, they are probably easier to insert over ear as the 2000J's, who only have a small housing to grab onto to jam them into your ears with.

As far as sound I did hours of A/B testing on these. Mostly with electronic music, some pop and rock.

This is WITH the bass rings on the 2000J's the entire time. Complys on both pairs. Bass slam is virtually identical. I couldn't pick one or the other. Overall sound signature is where things change a bit. Overall the 20002 is meatier and fuller whereas the 2000J is thinner and airier. While the bass slam is the same on both, the 2002 just has a little more roundness to the sound vs the 2000J. It works better for some tracks and not as good for others really, and the difference is not that big but it's there for sure. That's the best way I can describe it. HifiChris puts it into better words in his review http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2002/reviews/16013 

Overall I can't decide which to keep. Right now my pair of 2002's cuts in and out only when used with my phone which no other headset I have does. So those are going back. I'll order another pair of 2002's and see if they exhibit the same behavior or not and then make a final decision. now to test them against the FLC8S to decide if those are being sold or not.
personally i prefer dn2000j

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #1,927 of 2,123
  Well been trying the 2002 and 2000J's together. The 2000J's have a nice build quality but the cable is quite thin and once you have the 20002's in your hand - well they are built like a tank and feel like one as well.

Kinda surprised- Is this a commmon opinion or do you just prefer beefy cables? To me 2000J has one of the best cables on an IEM I've used.... really like the finish and weight works behind the ear no problem, and little to no stethoscopics/microphonics/whatevers.

Anyway thanks for yourthoughts, seems like consensus is its a more temperate option to 2000J which could be nice... curious to see how the 3003 and 4004 turn out.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,929 of 2,123

Kinda surprised- Is this a commmon opinion or do you just prefer beefy cables? To me 2000J has one of the best cables on an IEM I've used.... really like the finish and weight works behind the ear no problem, and little to no stethoscopics/microphonics/whatevers.

Anyway thanks for yourthoughts, seems like consensus is its a more temperate option to 2000J which could be nice... curious to see how the 3003 and 4004 turn out.

I guess I prefer a beefier cable. Once I got the 2002's in hand it made the 2000J feel almost flimsy in comparison. But I agree the 2000J does not exhibit microphonics, in that sense it is a great cable. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,930 of 2,123
personally i prefer dn2000j

after another 4 hours A/B'ing them I too am leaning to the 2000J's. The sound is just more 'open'

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,932 of 2,123
I would really love a pair of Westone w50/60s,would the 2000j be an affordable substitute. I don't have the budget for the Westones.I have never really had a decent pair of IEMs only a few mediocre pairs which used to tear my ear drums but I believe the game has moved on since then. I'm ready for wide soundstage,ultra portability and micro detail.My He-560s are totally and utterly ridiculous for traveling too:laughing:. I'd run if I saw me!

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,933 of 2,123
I would really love a pair of Westone w50/60s,would the 2000j be an affordable substitute. I don't have the budget for the Westones.I have never really had a decent pair of IEMs only a few mediocre pairs which used to tear my ear drums but I believe the game has moved on since then. I'm ready for wide soundstage,ultra portability and micro detail.My He-560s are totally and utterly ridiculous for traveling too:laughing:. I'd run if I saw me!

The DN-2000J doesn't sound like the W50/W60 at all if that's the sound signature you're going after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back