DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Aug 21, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #991 of 2,123
  Could anyone help me choose between these and the FLC8s? I'm having a really tough time. I don't like sibilance at all. I am coming from a pair of Fidue A83s that I thought sounded just OK because of fit issues. I am seeing a lot of "underdog" type stuff with the FLC8s and I am thinking that headphone might be more of my thing because people are saying it is less sibilant. However the 2000J looks so much better and I feel like I want to try those out too. it's really hard doing research because no one really knows about the FLC8. But anything i have read seem to put the FLC8 in a positive light-claiming it to be better than the DN2000J. Any advice? Thanks!

I've heard both the 2000J and FLC8. I ended up going with the FLC8 simply because the sound is wonderful. I would say FLC8 is really an overshadowed, under rated monitor. I do find the upper midrange on 2000J to go into sibilant zone at times depending on tracks. 2000J is brighter than FLC8 though the FLC8 is not a dark sounding phone. However with red sub bass (deepest) filter, grey filter highs and gold filter vocals, the FLC8 sounded balanced with a sight tint of warmth which adds lushness and body to the mid range which I found lacking on 2000J. Built wise I found no issues on both units though the FLC8 has the upper hand of a removable cable using old UE pins. Have heard that FLC will be releasing a new cable for the FLC8. Looks wise it's more personal. Though to me both units ain't built and polished like a gem. But the FLC8 is really small. Considering it has both dynamic and BA drivers inside.

I've heard both as well and I do prefer the FLC8 over the 2000J. The 2kj is just abit too bright and peaky for me. FLC8, while smooth, was still clear and detailed, and retained enough bite for strings. Plus with the FLC8 you can tweak the nuances of the sound to your liking. Not advised to do it on the road though. I dropped the bass plug once and it was hell to find even on carpet.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #992 of 2,123
i've heard both as well They are fantastic earphones, as well as the A83, which was also mentioned. IMO this boils down to sound signature. I listen to a lot of jazz which to me sounds best through the 2kJ. I also prefer extended highs so the 2kJ ia a no brainer for me. If you don't mind using Amazon you can hear them all, since their return policy is awesome.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #993 of 2,123
I've heard both the 2000J and FLC8. I ended up going with the FLC8 simply because the sound is wonderful. I would say FLC8 is really an overshadowed, under rated monitor. I do find the upper midrange on 2000J to go into sibilant zone at times depending on tracks. 2000J is brighter than FLC8 though the FLC8 is not a dark sounding phone. However with red sub bass (deepest) filter, grey filter highs and gold filter vocals, the FLC8 sounded balanced with a sight tint of warmth which adds lushness and body to the mid range which I found lacking on 2000J. Built wise I found no issues on both units though the FLC8 has the upper hand of a removable cable using old UE pins. Have heard that FLC will be releasing a new cable for the FLC8. Looks wise it's more personal. Though to me both units ain't built and polished like a gem. But the FLC8 is really small. Considering it has both dynamic and BA drivers inside.

If you don't like simblance, stay away from the 2000Js...it's that simple.  They are quite bright.

I've heard both as well and I do prefer the FLC8 over the 2000J. The 2kj is just abit too bright and peaky for me. FLC8, while smooth, was still clear and detailed, and retained enough bite for strings. Plus with the FLC8 you can tweak the nuances of the sound to your liking. Not advised to do it on the road though. I dropped the bass plug once and it was hell to find even on carpet.

i've heard both as well They are fantastic earphones, as well as the A83, which was also mentioned. IMO this boils down to sound signature. I listen to a lot of jazz which to me sounds best through the 2kJ. I also prefer extended highs so the 2kJ ia a no brainer for me. If you don't mind using Amazon you can hear them all, since their return policy is awesome.

Thanks everybody! I ended up ordering the FLC8s. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #996 of 2,123
  If I listen to a lot of EDM music, would this IEM be good fit for me?

Very nice with EDM imo, unless you are an extreme basshead (though it does have a nice amount of bass that has room to boost or EQ if so desire).

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #997 of 2,123
The 2000J does well with EDM, in terms of presenting the frequencies properly, but there's a 3rd dimension that most of us, myself included wouldn't consider. It seems, from my testing thus far anyway, that these earphones add some sort of artificial soundstage that wasn't intended to be there with most electronic music, which, IMO, actually makes it portray electronic music in a bad way.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755301/dunu-dn-2000j-more-than-evolution/975#post_11842695

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #998 of 2,123
Sorry Levi - I missed that earlier post of yours.

I think what you're talking about is pretty subjective.  I love mine with Trance and straight electronic - and I've never noticed a strange sound stage.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #999 of 2,123
  The 2000J does well with EDM, in terms of presenting the frequencies properly, but there's a 3rd dimension that most of us, myself included wouldn't consider. It seems, from my testing thus far anyway, that these earphones add some sort of artificial soundstage that wasn't intended to be there with most electronic music, which, IMO, actually makes it portray electronic music in a bad way.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755301/dunu-dn-2000j-more-than-evolution/975#post_11842695

An interesting point- I experience the stage as a sort of concentric 180 degree arc a little outside of my head, sort of "flat" in that it doesn't give me much sense dimension outside of typical stereo left/right/center , not sure if that is the same "surround"/"8th row" effect you describe? Actually find I rather enjoy electronica with them, though there are other IEMs I might prefer presentation-wise :\

How consistent are IEM soundstage characteristics? Are they affected by unique inner ear characteristics in the same way individual variations in the outer ear can profoundly alter how we hear things? Doesn't help that it is one of the more difficult things to describe- an area where impression & review descriptions can start to get a bit purple and difficult to parse. (For instance, a number of the impressions I've read of the asg-2.5s describe them as "immersively 3D" and I wonder if the writers are referring to the sense of height I occasionally experienced.)

Have you read about the upcoming Lear NSS headphones? Might be of interest as they have a dual driver design, where one of the drivers is switchable off/on and patched into the opposite channel as a kind of natural crossfeed effect.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,000 of 2,123
For EDM, DN-2000J is very good with fast paced and articulate bass, but I feel there is a better option.

Trinity Audio Hyperion with simple mod (member ozkan's toothpick mod) will only set you back $38 shipped (there is head-fi discount code somewhere).

Bass hits hard and it has very good extension on both ends. Sound-stage is quite outstanding as well.

It uses a single 8mm Neodymium Driver. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,001 of 2,123
@tgx78, that's great to know about the Trinity Audio earphone, sounds enticing. Would you be able to give a mini-comparison to the 2,000J please? At least post your impressions the way you see them compared to each other.

Also to all the electronica fans I've seen around here. Below is a link to a stellar source where you can keep up with some of the modern electronic music as well as some oldies, here on Head-Fi also!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/544388/electronic-music-exchange-house-dnb-dubstep-etc/6285#post_11859313

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,002 of 2,123
Here is my take on DN2000J: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2000j/reviews/13846

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,003 of 2,123
Aug 29, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,004 of 2,123
Hi guys, so I'm officially out of the 2,000J club. I've done my 'final testing' last night and it failed to meet my expectations.

So, after trying about 30 tips including all the stock ones (which I found the larger Comply's to give the most refined sound and bass quality) and other silicon & foam tips I had laying around - I thought I would take the advice another user had & get the Monster Gel Tips. I ordered their variety pack with several sizes of their gel and foam tips. Upon trying these tips on... in a word... "audiophile nightmare". It was as if every tip I tried sounded worse than the last: absolute void where the bass should be, mids sounded dry for what was there, treble sounded screechy and was about the only thing audible. After trying at least 6 of those tips, both gel and foam types, it dawned on me - with Monster as original partner for Beats - they know NOTHING about audiophile quality and should not be allowed to make eartips! Comparing the quality of their eartips vs. Comply, it seems they got the materials wrong for enabling a good sounding seal, and the inner material doesn't allow proper fit no matter how hard one can try.

While this is more of a rant against Monster tips, onto the 2,000J. After a while my original complaint with harsh highs had seemed to tame down either by burn-in or swapping tips, but then I noticed what seems to be a sort of imaging or soundstage issue in which, instead of things sounding like they are in front of you or as they are properly positioned in an acoustic space, it's more like everything is encapsulating you in a sort of bubble - yes it's a wide 3D-ish soundstage, but it's like everything is always positioned at the same place which is a bit farther away from you than is natural, and that characteristic, especially with lossy encoded electronic music can cause quite a bit of un-ease and borderlining an odd sort of listening fatigue (not the excessive high type). Also upon comparing the bass response to my Beyerdynamic DT 1350 on-ear headphones, it seems the bass quantity is still below the 'neutral' threshold even with the best eartips I found, and the bass definition didn't sound as pleasing either. The mids & highs are done quite nice, and it seems slightly mid-centric.

So back goes this set. So, @tgx78 any chance you've been able to compare this to the Trinity Audio earphone?

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,005 of 2,123
  Hi guys, so I'm officially out of the 2,000J club. I've done my 'final testing' last night and it failed to meet my expectations.

So, after trying about 30 tips including all the stock ones (which I found the larger Comply's to give the most refined sound and bass quality) and other silicon & foam tips I had laying around - I thought I would take the advice another user had & get the Monster Gel Tips. I ordered their variety pack with several sizes of their gel and foam tips. Upon trying these tips on... in a word... "audiophile nightmare". It was as if every tip I tried sounded worse than the last: absolute void where the bass should be, mids sounded dry for what was there, treble sounded screechy and was about the only thing audible. After trying at least 6 of those tips, both gel and foam types, it dawned on me - with Monster as original partner for Beats - they know NOTHING about audiophile quality and should not be allowed to make eartips! Comparing the quality of their eartips vs. Comply, it seems they got the materials wrong for enabling a good sounding seal, and the inner material doesn't allow proper fit no matter how hard one can try.

While this is more of a rant against Monster tips, onto the 2,000J. After a while my original complaint with harsh highs had seemed to tame down either by burn-in or swapping tips, but then I noticed what seems to be a sort of imaging or soundstage issue in which, instead of things sounding like they are in front of you or as they are properly positioned in an acoustic space, it's more like everything is encapsulating you in a sort of bubble - yes it's a wide 3D-ish soundstage, but it's like everything is always positioned at the same place which is a bit farther away from you than is natural, and that characteristic, especially with lossy encoded electronic music can cause quite a bit of un-ease and borderlining an odd sort of listening fatigue (not the excessive high type). Also upon comparing the bass response to my Beyerdynamic DT 1350 on-ear headphones, it seems the bass quantity is still below the 'neutral' threshold even with the best eartips I found, and the bass definition didn't sound as pleasing either. The mids & highs are done quite nice, and it seems slightly mid-centric.

So back goes this set. So, @tgx78 any chance you've been able to compare this to the Trinity Audio earphone?

As I read your post, I was just listening to the Trinity Hyperion and then switched back to the DN-2000J. Perfect timing I guess.
2000J is brighter sounding than Hyperion with stock silicone (white) tips but with Comply TX-500 or james444 mod, I find they sound quite similar tonally. 
Some people mentioned that Hyperion is like baby 2000J and I can agree with many aspects. (FQ response, airy and spacious soundstage, clarity & imaging)
However my comparison maybe not totally accurate since my Hyperion is not in stock form. I did toothpick vent mod + hifiman filter mod to make it more balanced sounding IEM.
Hyperion, even with these mods, has 3-4db more bass than 2000J. Bass is not as fast nor detailed like 2000J but it really hits hard with right amount of decay and has pretty good texture. 
Isolation is slightly better on Hyperion and it is more comfortable to wear. Build Quality is very good on both. 

Brooko's measurements 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back