DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #976 of 2,123
Hi guys, I'm going to update my review again:

My main hitch on day 1-2 was about the harsh highs. But after more testing I realised that the source file I was listening to was lossy and a poor mastered recording. (but my review was done with FLAC files). Also there was probably a bit of brain burn in because I was used to a slightly darker sound signature. With lossless or at least better recorded songs this thins really sings, good clarity, impact & soundstage, and sounded even better on my phone unamped (compared to my matchbox size amp anyway). 

But I'm still thinking to possibly tame the treble somewhat. Does burn-in actually help with these earphones? I've heard on another thread that balanced armature drivers are unaffected by this - but I guess its' dynamic driver may be effected. I may also try some sort of tissue under the eartips, or the blu tip mod. Funny how nobody recommended this to me, but I just saw it thanks to Jeff above, thanks.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #978 of 2,123
Aug 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #979 of 2,123
How were these measurements taken?

If these are Brooko's graphs, he shows how he gets them in his reviews. It involves using an SPL meter and test tones at different frequencies, I believe.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #980 of 2,123
How were these measurements taken?

Calibrated SPL meter.  Set tones.  Measurements taken using C weighting, and then converted to real dB measurements and then graphed.  I take everything twice.  Quiet laborious - but results seem to be pretty consistent.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #982 of 2,123

This might help

If you check my DN2000J review - you'll see comparisons with Altone 200, Fidue A83, DN1000, Dn2000, and the Trinity Delta.  All of those are hybrids. (http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2000j/reviews/13243)

The SE535 and DN-1000 are pretty much opposites.  The Shure is pretty flat, very mid forward, a bit rolled off in the highs.

Paul measurement pretty much reflects what I heard from DN-1000, DN-2000, and DN-2000J.
DN-1000 is a little bassy, DN-2000 is the flattest, most neutral, and DN-2000J is also balanced, but with some treble emphasize.
Only the bass part is different, from the graph DN-2000J bass looks less volume than DN-2000 bass, but from what I hear with my eartips of choice, DN-2000J bass volume is more or less the same as DN-2000, but with better quality, tighter, more detailed, better texture, and faster.

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #984 of 2,123
I got them yesterday, first impressions, they are a keeper. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #986 of 2,123
@levi, by all accounts that I've read there is at minimum 30 hours of burn in. I'm getting mine today so I will basically start seriously evaluating them next weekend.

Mine are definitely started to sound much better after more listening. My first impressions were underwhelming. I've had them about five weeks and have about 20 hours worth, so looking for more improvement. There has been some little wow moments with the Bass and resolution, but not the the big wow for the overall experience. Still getting some harshness in the upper reaches, and thin mids.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #987 of 2,123
So I've been able to find enough creative approaches to tame the treble on the 2000J's which can be peaky depending on the source material - the larger fitting Comply tips seem to do that sort of well, and I've got Blu Tack on order to try that mod.

Now basically my only issue with the 2000J is about the soundstage. For some reason, it just finally dawned on me on about day 4 of owning these that the soundstage is quite a bit artificially bloated. It's a sound like everything is surrounding you instead of in front of you, in a somewhat too much larger than life way; think 8th row - this could work great for percussive related genres that use real instruments, but for electronic music which is 95% of what I listen to, that just adds some sort of 3rd dimension that was not the way it was intended to be, causing a bit of confusion when listening to some songs. But actually this may not be only from the soundstage, but from the stereo imaging; it's as if one channel on the 2000J has maybe a 0.x - 2 millisecond delay which could be causing this extra soundstage, and I suspect it could be from a tiny circuit that could be inside the 2000J's chord at the split between the two channels.

However I'm not ready to return this yet - a bit of OCD testing on eartips and amps shows that tips don't change this, but it may be a result of sub-par amping, as some medium-spec solid state amps seem to nullify this issue. Maybe @Brooko or anybody else who has tried these with the Fiio X5 amp - about how would you describe the spatial imaging / soundstage on it with these earphones? Front row, back row, etc.? Thanks!

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #988 of 2,123
Could anyone help me choose between these and the FLC8s? I'm having a really tough time. I don't like sibilance at all. I am coming from a pair of Fidue A83s that I thought sounded just OK because of fit issues. I am seeing a lot of "underdog" type stuff with the FLC8s and I am thinking that headphone might be more of my thing because people are saying it is less sibilant. However the 2000J looks so much better and I feel like I want to try those out too. it's really hard doing research because no one really knows about the FLC8. But anything i have read seem to put the FLC8 in a positive light-claiming it to be better than the DN2000J. Any advice? Thanks!

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #989 of 2,123
Could anyone help me choose between these and the FLC8s? I'm having a really tough time. I don't like sibilance at all. I am coming from a pair of Fidue A83s that I thought sounded just OK because of fit issues. I am seeing a lot of "underdog" type stuff with the FLC8s and I am thinking that headphone might be more of my thing because people are saying it is less sibilant. However the 2000J looks so much better and I feel like I want to try those out too. it's really hard doing research because no one really knows about the FLC8. But anything i have read seem to put the FLC8 in a positive light-claiming it to be better than the DN2000J. Any advice? Thanks!

I've heard both the 2000J and FLC8. I ended up going with the FLC8 simply because the sound is wonderful. I would say FLC8 is really an overshadowed, under rated monitor. I do find the upper midrange on 2000J to go into sibilant zone at times depending on tracks. 2000J is brighter than FLC8 though the FLC8 is not a dark sounding phone. However with red sub bass (deepest) filter, grey filter highs and gold filter vocals, the FLC8 sounded balanced with a sight tint of warmth which adds lushness and body to the mid range which I found lacking on 2000J. Built wise I found no issues on both units though the FLC8 has the upper hand of a removable cable using old UE pins. Have heard that FLC will be releasing a new cable for the FLC8. Looks wise it's more personal. Though to me both units ain't built and polished like a gem. But the FLC8 is really small. Considering it has both dynamic and BA drivers inside.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #990 of 2,123

If you don't like simblance, stay away from the 2000Js...it's that simple.  They are quite bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back