DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #739 of 2,123
Just received mine 
smile.gif

Out of the box with stock white eartips:
Very transparent and spacious, with extra ordinary level of detail retrieval.
Rather north of neutral, mild to moderately bright. But so far, for the first hour, I don't feel it is fatiguing.
Gorgeous bass. Good power, extension, texture, and very tight.
Simply brilliant for classical music.
Not really for those looking for warm and full bodied vocal sound.

Please take note, that this is early impressions with stock eartips, out of the box with zero burn-in.

So far I tried it with Fiio X3ii, and Dragonfly 1.0c DAC + AT-HA22TUBE amp.
Dragonfly with the tube amp combo is simply sounds better for DN-2000J. When silent DN-2000J picks up a little noise from the tube amp, not as quiet as X3ii headphone output. But when music is playing, the tube amp sound characteristic matches DN-2000J better. Vocal sounds gorgeous with tube amp, sounds fuller, smooth, yet very clear.

That's all for some early impressions. Will post more later.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #740 of 2,123
I'd really like to share my experience regarding Dunu's warranty.
I received my DN-2000j with a defective protection silicone ring. There are a couple of tear cut on the silicone ring which could finally break soon. So I wrote to Dunu, to the email address provided on the warranty card. Surprisingly beyond my expectation, Vivian replied to me on the next morning. That's even less than 24hr and immediately Vivian offerred to send 3 spare pairs of the protection silicone rings. I provided my shipping address and also asked for an extra tip holder plate which she accepted to include without hesitation. A week later the package arrived from China, pretty quick, effortless and free!

Just wanna share how well Dunu take care their customer. Way to go! This will only make Dunu brand stronger!

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #741 of 2,123
i thought i should mention something i saw, since people here say that dunu200j is like a poor man's K3003

a guy is selling his mint K3003i for just 550$

a STEAL , imho - these usually sell for 1000$

check it out.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #743 of 2,123
They say it's a better k3003 :confounded:

that's not the impression i got from james4444 review , but yeah i guess spending 300$ for something quite like k3003 is a good deal

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #744 of 2,123
An excellent video to demonstrate the DN-2000j's technical qualities. The synergy between this tuning and Japanese house sound makes sense... it made me revisit my anime music collection and of course enjoy this:

I'm finalising my review at the moment and will be posted very soon.

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #745 of 2,123
You had the EX1000 right? These probably aren't that much better if that makes you feel any better. James, what say you?

Just had a short comparative listen with the EX1000 and DN2000J. While I like both a lot, they're much more different than the K3003 and 2000J. The Sonys sound more like full-sized headphones to me, and even though their resolution is no slouch, their presentation is rather holistic in comparison, meaning they don't call your attention to individual instruments or sounds like the Dunus.

The 2000J on the other hand are extremely clear sounding detail monsters that demand your attention. Next to them, the EX1000 sound downright veiled (and that's saying something lol). Whether that makes them better or not is imo subject to preference, I don't think there's a definitive answer to this. Pixel peepers and 4K TV fans will prefer the Dunus, that much is clear.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #750 of 2,123
DUNU DN-2000J vs. "high boost" K3003:

I just felt this was very important to clarify as we are at least a few who prefer the High boost filters.

Well, I've been listening to my K3003 with high boost filters for almost two weeks now, and honestly, I can't see myself preferring them over the reference filters. I think the main thing I don't like about that tuning is that the armature driver kinda takes precedence over the dynamic driver, and their disparity in note weight becomes all the more apparent.

For the sake of a comparison to the 2000J, it still makes sense though. But there's honestly not much to add to my impressions posted earlier in the K3003 thread:

1. Overall tonality with high boost filters is closer to the 2000J than with reference filters
  2. Lower mids are now a smidgen less warm than on the 2000J
  3. Upper mids on the 2000J are still a bit more forward
  4. Cymbals on the 2000J are still a tad splashier (even with cloth mod)
  5. Treble is now slightly thinner on the K3003

Like I said, tonality between the "high boost" K3003 and the 2000J is very close, and I'd actually have ended up preferring the latter over the former based on their more seamless driver integration... if it hadn't been for the Dunu's splashy cymbals. It really annoyed me that the 2000J, even with an additional layer of damping (aka "cloth mod" or "swab mod") sounded still more energetic and splashier than the overall brighter "high boost" K3003.

Ladies and gentlemen: the DN-2000J's weakness in a nutshell.

So I started looking for a better damping solution, picked different materials, but no matter what I tried, it either had too little damping effect on treble energy or too much impairing effect on transparency. Then I remembered something I once tried on the much spikier Samsung IG900, and it turned out to be a game changer for the 2000J...

DUNU DN-2000J "Blu-Tacked":

Instructions (unless you have impeccable eyesight, use a magnifying glass!)

Pinch off the smallest piece of Blu-Tack you can manage and roll it into a tiny ball. Important: make sure it isn't larger than shown in the pictures! Then press it gently against the center of the metal grill until it sticks.

Put the clear silicone tips on and check if the result looks like the picture - congrats, you're done!

How it works (I think :wink:

In DD / BA hybrids like the K3003 and 2000J, the armature sits directly behind the metal grill. Since higher frequencies have a narrower dispersion than lower frequencies and get easier absorbed by damping material, the Blu-Tack affects first and foremost energy peaks in the treble range and has little to no effect on the rest of the spectrum.

How it sounds (imo)

One word - terrific! This sounds better than every other damping solution I've tried. Well controlled vocal sibilance and cymbal splashes. A tad better fleshed out mids. Ever so slightly more perceived bass, as a result of tamed treble. Awesome transparency! To my ears, the blu-tacked 2000J are superior to the "high boost" K3003.

(Disclaimer: try at your own risk. If you want to undo this, simply use a larger piece of Blu-Tack and gently dab the small pieces off the grill.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back