DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 391
Yeah, it's too bad. They could've have made a friendlier design and they would've been the best IEMs ever. I'll see myself out.
DK-4001 is Zirconium alloy housing with smooth shap and lighter weight, it would fits most of people's ear canal :slight_smile:

So I found out from Andy at DUNU (oddly enough, while most people on here know of Vivian, I've never corresponded with her!) that the DK-4001 housings are actually smaller in size than those on the DK-3001, and I guess because of the Zr liquid metal alloy, they can make smoother curves to the shapes, which is why the render of the concha side of the DK-4001 looks smoother. I don't know how much it'll translate into superior comfort for @papa_mia specifically, though. You may still have to try out a demo unit somewhere in order to find out.

Still awaiting details for the other questions. @DUNU-Topsound any indication of how much they'll be retailing for and when they'll be slated for release? I think the latest I've seen on Chinese boards is 5999 RMB; I believe that's an all inclusive price, so my guess the US/EUR price will be $799 / 700€, plus sales tax and VAT or whatever else applies.

Will post more information when I get it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 391
Waiting for the DK-4001 to drop is the only reason I haven't bought an IT04 yet. I have very high hopes for this one. The DK-3001 is already one of my very favorite IEMs. Just picked up a posh new cable for it, in fact.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 391
Please keep in mind that I have not spoken to anyone from DUNU since very early this year, when I heard the Falcon-C and DK-3001 very briefly. But I will try to find out more definitive information about the DK-4001. In the meantime, I will contact DUNU and find out about the details (and hope they reveal all).
  • Price / Date of Availability
  • What that spiral pattern on the backplate does
  • How thick the PVD Beryllium diaphragm is and how it will help with acoustics (i.e. fewer break-up resonances, etc.)
  • Whether the exchangeable cable system is included in the package
  • What the heck is the 'Titan 6'

The first post of the thread has been updated with the latest details. I've also edited the post to highlight the major points in bold lettering.

Here's a brief rundown:
  • Pricing is estimated (subject to change) at $880 USD, and global pre-orders start in October
  • The bass reflex spiral is specifically designed to bolster frequencies <80 Hz
  • They didn't say how thick the diaphragm was, but did mention that it was coated with Beryllium on both sides to ensure better vibrational characteristics
  • The cable system is included with the DK-4001 but will also be available as a standalone product later on
  • The Titan 6 goes on sale in November, and has a single-sided Beryllium diaphragm
The pricing is massive. I'm expecting monster performance, and DUNU will now be compared on equal footing to basically every other flagship IEM out there. It is no longer about whether they put out the "best value" IEMs, but about whether they have released one of the best IEMs period.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 391
Changelog:
  • Added content to the section explaining the PVD process in detail
  • Added information on the health implications of working with Beryllium
  • Added information on the tips selection included with the DK-4001
  • Added information on the acoustic design of the BA outputs

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 391
A picture I found from the Beijing Show; this definitely has a more refined look and feel over the 3001.

7cdad3eagy1fv0sk1wau5j23vc2kw1l3.jpg

The matte finish of the Zr liquid alloy looks good, and are those SpinFit tips?

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #22 of 391
A picture I found from the Beijing Show; this definitely has a more refined look and feel over the 3001.

The matte finish of the Zr liquid alloy looks good, and are those SpinFit tips?

I like the new cord better. That was my one complaint from the 3001: the cable felt flimsy and looked generic. Seems to have less length to the memory wire section too, which is a welcome change.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #23 of 391
DK-4001 is Zirconium alloy housing with smooth shap and lighter weight, it would fits most of people's ear canal :slight_smile:

Any differences Vivian sound wise to be pointed out compared to the 3001s, (which I own)?

Thx in advance.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #25 of 391
Smooth inner shell - these should be comfortable! I hope I get a chance to hear them. Thanks for the heads-up Tom.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #26 of 391
Any differences Vivian sound wise to be pointed out compared to the 3001s, (which I own)? Thx in advance.

I'll be asking DUNU about the sound signature differences between the 3001 and 4001 on Monday, but from what I've read it'll be a more "reference" type of sound, so I assume it'll be less V-shaped than the 3001.

Predictions: Whereas there was plenty of bass on the 3001, I'm assuming it'll be even more well-controlled on the 4001. Typically, increasing the amount of dampening on a dynamic driver means less sub-bass extension, but I suspect that's why they've put so much work into improving the sub-bass with that spiral reflex port, so I'm looking forward to the bass being very well-controlled (flatter than the 3001 between 80 to 250 Hz) but still highly resolving, with flat extension down to 20 Hz and below. Contrast that with the small amounts of mid-bass bleed and extreme sub-bass rolloff in the 3001 and the Titan series. As for the midrange and treble, because the bass will hopefully be even tighter, it should sound more transparent through the midrange --- perhaps with a little more added warmth by increasing the 800-1500 Hz range (but that's a complete guess), and treble extension will be improved as well. I think DUNU's M.O. for the last few years has been to have sparkly treble, though they seem to have been actively working on making it sound smoother (as is the case with the Falcon and the 3001).

So overall, I don't expect the 4001 to be hugely different from the 3001, but it'll likely be more refined/detailed, and take on a slightly flatter sound profile. Keep in mind, however, that competition will be stiff at this near-1K price bracket. It's too pricey to be budget, so it'll be invariably compared against $1K+ flagships. The N5005 will be one of its main competitors. DUNU has always had been enamoured with AKG, and the K3003 was what set it off on a journey to continually develop hybrids. Having heard the N5005 a little over a week ago, I was impressed, but I didn't love its soundstage presentation nor its treble. I'm really hoping the 4001 can top it there. Bass too. The N5005 has that boosted sub-bass, which is interesting, but from top to bottom, the 5005's timbre is just a bit off for my tastes. I will be looking to benchmark the 4001 against it, if or when I get to hear the 4001.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #27 of 391
Great to read your post, Tomscy2000.

Will definitely keep an eye on the thread waiting for Dunu's answer to your question.

Thx so much. :beerchug:

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 391
Changelog:
  • An explanation of the Han Chinese character 極
  • Errata and update on the type of BA drivers used
  • Included an exploded view of the DK-4001, with detailed description
Updates:
  • DUNU will provide me with a frequency response curve similar to those given for the 3001 and 2002 in the past, at the end of the month
  • They have yet to provide me with descriptive details on the sound signature differences between the 3001 and 4001, but have promised to let me know

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #29 of 391
Not likely. Should be at least $699, because in the link provided by @Space_Wadet an official DUNU rep replied on the thread stating that it would be "5000+ CNY" verbatim, and the forum members guessed it would be closer to 5999 RMB.

Factor in the US-China trade war, and you might be looking at $799.

And for those who don't have anything to do with Trump's "America First" taxes? :ksc75smile:

On the other hand, it would definitely be a plus point to have some removable filters (like the IMR R1s) so that these new iems can have different or tweaked sound profiles... Seems not that difficult to carry out when you have a look at the exploded view you've recently updated.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #30 of 391
And for those who don't have anything to do with Trump's "America First" taxes? :ksc75smile:

On the other hand, it would definitely be a plus point to have some removable filters (like the IMR R1s) so that these new iems can have different or tweaked sound profiles... Seems not that difficult to carry out when you have a look at the exploded view you've recently updated.

I have the updated price on the first post:
$880 USD / 5999 CNY

$880 USD and 5999 CNY correlate well on currency converters, so it'd be 750 EUR or so.

Regarding the exchangeable filters thing --- I didn't ask, but my assumption is that removable filters increase the rate of RMA, and given that RMA is a thorn in any company's side, I think DUNU would be reluctant to go for filters. The second point is that the individual output tubes terminate at the mesh grille, so providing removable filters would mean having to design around that modality. It's not impossible, but it's less convenient. They'd have to key the removable filters such that they line up with the tubes each and every time. But you never know; they might just make a Mk. 2 version with exchangeable filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back