DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #227 of 391
You mean Oriveti, right? It seems @audio123 has reviewed both, so perhaps he should chime in.

I've not heard the OH500, nor any other Oriveti earphone for that matter, but I can offer some thoughts:
  • The OH500 is a $499 product, so it is competing with the DK-3001 PRO ($469), FiiO FH7 ($449), and Moondrop Blessing ($399) --- all 4+1 hybrids in the same price range, rather than the $899 DK-4001; of course, it doesn't mean the OH500 doesn't punch above its weight, but all the previously mentioned hybrids are already really good values at this price point --- it's hard to imagine the OH500 topping them, TBH
  • From a construction standpoint, the OH500 is hand-built from acrylic resin; it makes sense that a builder uses hand-cured acrylic resin to offer fancy shell designs, but the Oriveti is a simple single color with no real artwork to speak of. While the build quality looks really good (no discernible bubbles or other imperfections), hand-cured thicknesses will vary from unit to unit, as opposed to 3D printed resin shells. It seems like the OH500 was built this way for the following reasons: (1) Oriveti didn't want to spend the money for an injection mold, or precision CNC, (2) Oriveti didn't want to spend the money on 3D printing the shells --- these are manufacturing tactics that builders use when they only want to make small quantities
  • On the other hand, speaking from personal experience, both the FiiO FH7 and the DK-3001 PRO are impeccably built with CNC construction methods. The DK-4001 is molded with ZIrconium alloy, which is used by the likes of the Sony IER-Z1R and Campfire Lyra. It's not a super expensive material (the $219 Dunu Falcon-C also uses it), but it's super difficult to work with and get good yields, especially if you want a nice polished finish. The Moondrop Blessing is still a resin shell, but AFAIK it's 3D printed, so SQ, fit, and build should be slightly more consistent than the Oriveti
  • From an accessories standpoint, the DUNU offers a convenient modular cable set; the DK-4001 has a really high-end cable (it is pure silver and OCC copper individual strands, with a copper shielding layer, which is super rare, and that's why it's configured in a compact twisted pair rather than a braid, because it's less affected by crosstalk and interference issues), while the DK-3001 PRO has an OCC copper cable. Both have the super convenient modular plug system. Of course, if you don't have multiple source DAPs or DACs, then the plug system is probably of marginal utility. The FH7 has exchangeable tuning filters and a rich accessories kit. I don't see the Oriveti topping them.
  • From an acoustic technology standpoint for the dynamic driver, the Oriveti uses an 8 mm dynamic driver (no indication of any kind of surface treatment, so I'm assuming it's a polymer like PEK without titanium/LCP/beryllium bonding). The FH7, DK-3001 PRO, and DK-4001 all have Beryllium-coated diaphragms (dual-sided) at approximately 13.5 to 13.6 mm in size. The DK-4001 additionally uses ACIS, which is a bass reflex load adjustment bass venting spiral that enables better bass extension under tight response. The DK-3001 PRO has no ACIS and uses a different thickness of Beryllium bonding than the DK-4001. The FH7 has S.Turbo, which is essentially an acoustic low-pass that minimizes bass driver interference with the BAs. I'm not sure what the Moondrop Blessing is like. This all means that all 5 models will offer very different experiences in the bass. If you ask me, out of these models, I feel the bass on the 4001 is the best textured, best layered, and best extended. The combination of the Beryllium coating with ACIS (which is specially mated to each other) makes for a special experience. The FH7 comes next, with a nice low end, followed by the 3001 PRO, which has a more relaxed sounding (but more voluminous than both the 4001 and FH7) bass response. I don't know what the Blessing uses, or is like in real life.
  • Examining the Oriveti, I see at least a DTEC driver inside (it's DTEC because they use Knowles), which will be a nice midrange driver, so I'm assuming it uses an SWFK for the highs (judging from the FR peaks). Contrast this with the FH7, which uses a custom DFK (which will usually offer a "smaller" sound than the DTEC, but more etched), and an SWFK, or the DK-4001 which uses two SWFKs (midrange to upper midrange is still the Beryllium driver), or the 3001 PRO, which uses two custom Knowles midrange drivers (they are probably RAB/RAF drivers, judging from the size), and an SWFK for the highs. The Blessing uses either a custom Bellsing driver or a Sonion 2800, or a rare Knowles RDA driver for the midrange, and what looks like either a Knowles SWFK, or the Bellsing SWFK alternative. What does this all mean? It means that the 'qualia' of the treble will be more similar than not across all of these models, but they can definitely be very different from an FR, phase, and distortion perspective. The DK-4001 will likely have the least distortion, because two SWFKs stacked will decrease distortion and increase headroom (this is what JH Audio and other CIEM makers do), while offering the most dynamic-like midrange presentation. The DK-3001 PRO sounds more diffuse in the treble than the 4001. However, despite it also having the SWFK within the front of the bore like the FH7, the 3001 PRO and FH7 have very different presentations in the treble. The FH7 is more intense and at times splashy, while the 3001 PRO is thinner and more spaced out. Of the three that I've heard, timbre is most realistic on the 4001.
  • From an FR tuning standpoint, if we look at @crinacle's measurements, the OH500 looks decent, albeit with with an ~8 dB boost in bass over a diffuse-field type of tuning. The FiiO FH7 and DK-4001 will all have less bass response. The DK-3001 PRO might have a similar level of bass, but there are no definite measurements to corroborate my estimation. You can play with the FR comparison tool to look between the FH7, the DK-4001, and the OH500. The Moondrop Blessing is close to near-textbook Harman targeting and has @crinacle's seal of approval (if that means anything to you).
  • Overall, and take this with a grain of salt, because I have zero experience with the OH500, but my gut tells me you'll get a better buy with the models I mentioned. If you're looking for a similarly priced item to the OH500, you should look at the DK-3001 PRO or the FH7. Both offer a package that I feel beats the Oriveti in overall value and utility. The construction of these two models is likely to hold up better over time compared to the Oriveti as well. This matters if you intend on using it for a long time (rather than buy and sell after a few months like many people do on her). And because this is the DK-4001 thread, I have to finish with stating that the DK-4001, from construction to sound tuning, is a true flagship statement from Dunu. They took their time with this model, and it shows. It might not be for everyone, but it has TOTL qualities to its sound that are undeniable.

That is informative, appreciate it.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #228 of 391
As far as I know, that is a China specific promotion, and understandably, this limited edition model will mostly be reserved for the Chinese. Additionally, a good proportion of those 500 units will be gifted to friends and longtime supporters of the brand. What is leftover will be sold. For example, only 20 units were allocated for sale in HK. It turns out just about all of them were accounted for by the end of the HK AV show a couple of weeks ago. I don't know when it'll be available internationally.
B565B64D-DF56-4337-A3D5-9220FBFF9CEA.jpeg
You mean this 17th anniversary set? I heard it this past weekend. It was very nice. Dunu’s construction and cables are impeccable. Their cables are fantastic.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #230 of 391
Wow, now that is a post!! I really appreciate all that insight. I'll order the DK4001.
What is your specific sonic preference? Out of DK-3001, DK-3001 Pro, DK-4001 & OH500, I find myself reaching for the DK-3001 Pro more. Cheers!

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #232 of 391
Yes. That’s where I heard it, alongside their flagship iem (which sounded great)..

Which one did you prefer? The 17th anniversary limited edition model, or the 4001? I've yet to hear the limited edition. All I know is that it's not simply the 4001's dynamic driver --- apparently they treated the PVD coating differently so that the dual-sided Beryllium coating is thicker, bringing it the closest to the acoustic properties of a true Beryllium cone (or so they state).

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #233 of 391
Which one did you prefer? The 17th anniversary limited edition model, or the 4001? I've yet to hear the limited edition. All I know is that it's not simply the 4001's dynamic driver --- apparently they treated the PVD coating differently so that the dual-sided Beryllium coating is thicker, bringing it the closest to the acoustic properties of a true Beryllium cone (or so they state).

I REALLY want to hear the 17th anniversary model - guessing that might not be likely given that In over in the UK and most of them are anyway spoken for in the Chinese domestic markets, but sound live to know if the dual-sided driver can compete with the Atlas.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #234 of 391
What is your specific sonic preference? Out of DK-3001, DK-3001 Pro, DK-4001 & OH500, I find myself reaching for the DK-3001 Pro more. Cheers!

I prefer neutral. I appreciate bass, but maybe not as pronounced as the FH7. I like treble, but not as pronounced as my andromedas, or atlas. Thanks for chiming in, I read you review page a lot.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #235 of 391
I liked the 4001 better. The 4001 was fuller sounding. But, a same general tuning. The 17th anniversary was very good too, but it seemed clear to me that it was special mainly because of it's "specialness". I remarked to the rep, "17th anniversary? Interesting year to choose for an "anniversary" model....". He just had a wry smile on his face, then proceeded to tell me about it. It was quite beautiful in that silvery grey color.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #236 of 391
I prefer neutral. I appreciate bass, but maybe not as pronounced as the FH7. I like treble, but not as pronounced as my andromedas, or atlas. Thanks for chiming in, I read you review page a lot.
I think DK-3001 Pro will suit you perfectly. Cheers!

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #239 of 391
I liked the 4001 better. The 4001 was fuller sounding. But, a same general tuning. The 17th anniversary was very good too, but it seemed clear to me that it was special mainly because of it's "specialness". I remarked to the rep, "17th anniversary? Interesting year to choose for an "anniversary" model....". He just had a wry smile on his face, then proceeded to tell me about it. It was quite beautiful in that silvery grey color.

That's 25 in base 6... or the 'beryllium anniversary' in traditional wedding anniversary notation.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #240 of 391
You guys are funny! :beerchug:

The reason for it being the 17th anniversary is actually pretty simple (and a little embarrassing). It was supposed to be the 15th anniversary model, but our engineers decided they wanted to redesign everything and spent 2 more years in the lab! Both the DK-4001 and the 17th anniversary limited edition model were developed around the same time, so it was renamed the 17th anniversary model. It seems a little strange, but we wanted to make sure we honor our supporters with a very special product and give them something that was the best we could make!

Because of the silver finish, it is even harder to make than the DK-4001! We are still waiting for the factory to finish the latest batch of shells before we can inspect, assemble, QC, and ship.

But we are discussing making a new dynamic flagship based on this model, so even if we can't let everyone experience the 17th anniversary limited edition model, the next model will be mass produced!

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back