Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 543
Woah, it is nice to hear that you are enjoying DK-3001 so much!

I am actually quite impressed by their overall sonic abilities, not just the bass, but also the mids, the instrument separation and details. Their amazing bass is just the cherry on the cake when they impress so much with their midrange.

Like I said, I didn't want to jump the gun, and I kinda did. Listening to them now and I feel like the bass has mellowed out, brain burn-in and all :wink: I, too, am really enjoying them. As you say, I'm really loving their technical abilities to convey the music in a very coherent way. They're also very good with vocals; has a very good emotional connection to the music.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 543
Dunu 01.jpg

Oh wow... these have a truly beautiful tonality. Soooo smooth, rich, and airy. Soundstage is grand. I don't find these bright in the least, which is something I feared of Dunu.

Honestly, these just became one of my new favorites. I LOVE THEM! Right out of the box they've won me over. Now lets see how this enthusiasm endures as I put the DK-3001 through its paces. Wow, though, what a strong opening.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 543

Oh wow... these have a truly beautiful tonality. Soooo smooth, rich, and airy. Soundstage is grand. I don't find these bright in the least, which is something I feared of Dunu.

Honestly, these just became one of my new favorites. I LOVE THEM! Right out of the box they've won me over. Now lets see how this enthusiasm endures as I put the DK-3001 through its paces. Wow, though, what a strong opening.

I know, right!? For a IEM with 3 BAs I expected them to be a treble cannon that will shrill my bones, but instead I got a wonderfully clear but controlled treble response with no sibilance or any peaky highs at all.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #19 of 543
Sorry guys - I should have posted my review link here. One of the best IEM's I'd heard this year. I'll just quote the summary:

DUNU DK-3001 – SUMMARY

So here we are at the summary, and before I get to where the rubber meets the road, I'd like to take the opportunity once again to thank Vivian and here team for the chance to put the DK-3001 through its paces.

I'll put it simply – in my experience this is the best IEM DUNU has released to date (obviously I have not heard the 4001 yet). In terms of build quality and accessories you get what we have have come to expect from DUNU – excellent materials, very good innovation, and generosity in terms of overall accessories.

The 3001 is also ergonomically superior to previous offerings, and I find it particularly pleasing they are starting to focus on this area. They aren't quite “there” with this yet – but they are on the right track. A little less “angles”, a little more internal smoothness, and they really will have a winner in terms of fit.

But the amazing thing with the DK-3001 is their achievements sonically. The DK-3001 isn't just good – its the sort of earphone you start comparing to all time greats like the Andromeda. Probably the greatest complement I could give it is that it sounds almost like an HD600 – it just has that sort of tonality. The mid-range peaks a little earlier, and this definitely means it is more mid-forward, but it has the naturalness of tone and timbre that simply ticks all of my boxes.

The RRP looks to be around the USD 470-500 mark and at this price the DK-3001 is not a cheap IEM. Despite the price point, I would still recommend them wholeheartedly – they just sound too good not to. For my part, I'd still love to see them get the ergonomics 100% right – but they are already an improvement over DUNU's other models, and for this I thank them. Fix this and they are easily (for me anyway) a 5/5 proposition. So for me a 4.5/5 or 90% review ranking.

Review has full sets of measurements etc.

9933362_l.jpg

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 543
Sorry guys - I should have posted my review link here. One of the best IEM's I'd heard this year. I'll just quote the summary:

Review has full sets of measurements etc.

9933362_l.jpg

I too find the ergonomics uncomfortable. After an hour, it really starts to hurt. That sharp rim in the center presses against my ear, due to how deep the insertion is.

It fits really well, they just need to get rid of all sharp edges.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 543
I too find the ergonomics uncomfortable. After an hour, it really starts to hurt. That sharp rim in the center presses against my ear, due to how deep the insertion is.

It fits really well, they just need to get rid of all sharp edges.

Have you tried spinfits? They really sit comfortably in my ears for long periods of time with spinfits!

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #23 of 543
I'll try those tonight.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 543
Currently have these in my ears, they just ooze good quality sound into your ears without effort.

Beautifully balanced with excellent detail across the range, and well presented highs without any brightness.

My one gripe, the cables are near impossible to disconnect.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 543
Currently have these in my ears, they just ooze good quality sound into your ears without effort.

Beautifully balanced with excellent detail across the range, and well presented highs without any brightness.

My one gripe, the cables are near impossible to disconnect.

I had that issue too, it's more an issue of pulling directly horizontally, but I guess it's better than the other way around.

As for the actual sound quality of these earphones, I didn't find them to be significantly better than the others around this price like the AF1120, 64Audio U3 and Sage, but they are a fantastic alternative with a bit of dynamic driver bass heft and they were really well detailed to my ear; I personally prefer dynamic bass to armature bass and the Dunu exemplifies this. They're definitely the real deal and an incredibly well done u/gentle v-shaped earphone.

I also had ergonomic issues regardless of tip choice, not unbearable like Pinky, but mild discomfort after about an hour. Spinfits do distance the housings a bit more but I didn't agree with their sound, I eventually went for a slightly larger silicone tip for a shallower fit that did the trick. My main issue with ergonomics is those overly long memory wire segments on the cable and the strange angle the cable leaves the housing.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 543
The largest SpinFits worked ok. But ultimately, not enough to make it worth it. I've never liked them. The sound has always been too weak for me. So now I'm using the Large Spiral Dots. For most IEMs, Medium or Medium Large Spiral Dots are my go-to. But for these, where they seat into the ear, Large is a must if I want any seal.

Unfortunately this still puts that sharp ridge digging right into my ear.

Why Dunu thought it a good idea to put sharp edges on something that must touch flesh is evident of pure sadism. :triportsad:

By the way, Spiral Dots take the bass up to 11, and seems to increase overall resolution, making everything pop a little more.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #28 of 543
@ryanjsoo I totally agree the ergonomics are pretty bad, as with the DN2002, they don't necessarily compete with more expensive models but they are very appealing with their dynamic bass punch, and smooth yet detailed sound, the sound will appeal to most but I don't like the direction Dunu have taken with the ergonomics of their new models.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #29 of 543
I think they're evolving though - and the more feedback they get from the community, the better they'll get. I know one thing - if I could get the sonics of the DK-3001 into a really ergonomic casing (like the new LZ Big Dipper), it would be right up there with some of the best IMO - especially at the price point. Ticks a lot of my boxes anyway :)

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #30 of 543
I think they're evolving though - and the more feedback they get from the community, the better they'll get. I know one thing - if I could get the sonics of the DK-3001 into a really ergonomic casing (like the new LZ Big Dipper), it would be right up there with some of the best IMO - especially at the price point. Ticks a lot of my boxes anyway :)

I totally agree, Dunu did something magical with their DK-3001 here, it is an awesome IEM. I can't wait to see their next IEMs and I am really hopeful that they will get their ergonomics better and better in the near future! My review of DK-3001 is still in works and I should probably still roll the tips a bit before finishing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back