DUNU DK-2001 - 3 BA + 1 beryllium DD hybrid: the long-awaited follow-up to the DN-2000 and DN-2000J!
Feb 5, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #122 of 292
I believe Paul of Porta-fi fame posted comparisons via his review page.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #124 of 292
Very impressed with these. Ideal tuning right out of the box. Extension in highs is surprising actually, going strong until my hearing goes out at 16k.

Bass textures are nice and speed is not sluggish. Decay is spot on and lingers just a tad to sound natural.

My only gripe is a 4 dB treble peak at 6.5k. But this resonance is going to happen with most all IEMs. I notch this out using EQ and the results are perfect.

Fit is good for now and time will tell if I get any hotspots. Will update.

0205201351.jpg

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #126 of 292
well, it's me man. I even had a problem with Rai Penta (one of the most ergonomic uni's available). I'm beginning to think it's anything with a metal shell. The DX2001 is a very comfortable earphone, especially if you rock them forward just a bit to ensure the part that connects with the mmcx doesn't rub against the back of your concha bowl.

That said. .... My right ear couldn't even tell they were in and never needed any adjustment. My left started to get sore after an hour and half. The more I started looking at what was going on, it confuses me even more. There didn't appear (in the mirror) to be any rubbing going on - so it's probably just an unusual sensitivity in my left ear. For the record, I've had issues with EVERY SINGLE universal I've owned (except the fearless S8f). And it only seems to affect my left ear. Unless you've noticed a pattern with your ears, I wouldn't worry about these.

So, I'd say that, like the campfire IEMs, the Dunu are deceptively comfy. It's just me man.

The sound quality is superb. I'd say that for $300usd, I haven't heard better. The main strengths are:
  • Frequency response curve (tonality) - warm, natural with proper pinna gain compensation, yet not overdone - great mids!
  • treble extension - surpasses my hearing limit of 16k
  • bass attack/decay - ideal for a dynamic driver - makes me mad I spent $1400 on customs that don't have a DD in them!
  • coherency - zero disjointedness and I can't tell where the BA's pick up and the DD stops.

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #127 of 292
well, it's me man. I even had a problem with Rai Penta (one of the most ergonomic uni's available). I'm beginning to think it's anything with a metal shell. The DX2001 is a very comfortable earphone, especially if you rock them forward just a bit to ensure the part that connects with the mmcx doesn't rub against the back of your concha bowl.

That said. .... My right ear couldn't even tell they were in and never needed any adjustment. My left started to get sore after an hour and half. The more I started looking at what was going on, it confuses me even more. There didn't appear (in the mirror) to be any rubbing going on - so it's probably just an unusual sensitivity in my left ear. For the record, I've had issues with EVERY SINGLE universal I've owned (except the fearless S8f). And it only seems to affect my left ear. Unless you've noticed a pattern with your ears, I wouldn't worry about these.

So, I'd say that, like the campfire IEMs, the Dunu are deceptively comfy. It's just me man.

The sound quality is superb. I'd say that for $300usd, I haven't heard better. The main strengths are:
  • Frequency response curve (tonality) - warm, natural with proper pinna gain compensation, yet not overdone - great mids!
  • treble extension - surpasses my hearing limit of 16k
  • bass attack/decay - ideal for a dynamic driver - makes me mad I spent $1400 on customs that don't have a DD in them!
  • coherency - zero disjointedness and I can't tell where the BA's pick up and the DD stops.
Comfort related question, do you wear glasses? With DK2001 I seem to get problem when I wear glasses and I get itching just like you said after 0,5h. I noticed that cable gets stuck a little bit behind the ear because of glasses and it gently pulls out IEM out of the ear which results in itching. When I wear contact lenses everything's fine. That's probably a long shot in your case, but anyway maybe someone will find this useful.

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #128 of 292
Comfort related question, do you wear glasses? With DK2001 I seem to get problem when I wear glasses and I get itching just like you said after 0,5h. I noticed that cable gets stuck a little bit behind the ear because of glasses and it gently pulls out IEM out of the ear which results in itching. When I wear contact lenses everything's fine. That's probably a long shot in your case, but anyway maybe someone will find this useful.
well, I wear contacts, but I understand how the 'pulling' can happen. For that reason, I use shirt clips with my IEMs.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #131 of 292
@buonassi, thanks for your impressions on Dk2001.
what´s your take on instrument separation, soundstage, and layering?
cheers, Jose
Instrument separation is good. I never struggled to pick out and follow individual instruments.

Layering - I'm only good at determining treble layering based on decay of cymbals and how well they sustain despite heavy instrumentation in mids and bass. Also bass guitar and kick drum being unique and separate I can pick out as well. In both cases, bass and treble exceed basic levels of layering. I think it layers treble better than jvc fdx1 but bass not quite as good, just a hair behind.

Soundstage I'm really bad at assessing and probably the wrong person to comment on that!

It's just darn good all around. Maybe not the best in any one category. It's collective performance is greater than the sum of its standalone attributes. And I can't say that it does anything poorly.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #133 of 292
Jose

I would agree with the comments on the sound and feel the stage is accurate. The DK2001 strikes above it's price tag. It is important to note that this is not the investment that so many IEM's are today. DUNU has done a wonderful job of balancing excellent sound quality and keeping the cost friendly for the consumer. The overall package is extremely thoughtful.

The bass has texture and a dynamic feel. It is DD bass that is well done and does not bleed into other regions. The treble has a sparkle at it's extension and the mids create a stage placing the listener 1-2 rows in front of the stage. As has been stated many times, it is a great all-arounder. I enjoy all of the genres of music I have thrown at it.

To test percussion and cymbal decay as well as stage and separation, I would recommend listening to Trilok Gurtu God is a Drummer.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #135 of 292

Users who are viewing this thread

Back