DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #857 of 2,375

Before it get's posted unofficially, here's a tease at what is coming next from team DUNU :)

Meet you first look at Talos, a planar coming from your favorite IEM company!
8A325217-B86B-42D6-A215-B599D123B7CA.jpeg
8D128EB5-100C-4682-8EA1-7BFE83B019D0.jpeg

https://m.weibo.cn/status/M0OIo2Dd4?jumpfrom=weibocom

A 3 driver hybrid, no doubt!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #858 of 2,375
Aug 14, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #859 of 2,375
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #861 of 2,375
Very interesting! I wonder what the other drivers are? I have the new Oriolus Szalayi and love it - very curious to see how DUNU stacks up.

2BA, 1PL, supposedly. With a switch to go to pure planar mode. Personally I think a 1DD for lows (even if it was a small DD) , 1PL for highs might be a better hybrid. From my experience with the Dioko, planar have lovely micro detailing but tactility and impact is better on DDs.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #862 of 2,375
2BA, 1PL, supposedly with a switch to go to pure planar mode. Personally I think a 1DD for lows (even if it was a small DD) , 1PL for highs might be a better hybrid. From my experience with the Dioko, planar have lovely micro detailing but tactility and impact is better on DDs.
I'm with you on the tactility and impact slightly missing on the Dioko, but extra adds like the HOOK-X has makes a world of difference in my eyes. The HOOK-X is of course more than 2X the cost of the Dioko, but it wins out doing so much more. The HOOK-X was/is bigger in presence all the way around, plus more bass, even though fuzzy. Still it has low-end, and spacial clues into a bigger listening stage.

The thing is this "Talos" BA arraignment may give the bass?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #863 of 2,375
2BA, 1PL, supposedly. With a switch to go to pure planar mode. Personally I think a 1DD for lows (even if it was a small DD) , 1PL for highs might be a better hybrid. From my experience with the Dioko, planar have lovely micro detailing but tactility and impact is better on DDs.

Ok, interesting. Agreed, prefer a DD for the lows too, as per Szalayi.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #864 of 2,375
I'm with you on the tactility and impact slightly missing on the Dioko, but extra adds like the HOOK-X makes a world of difference in my eyes. The HOOK-X is of course more than 2X the cost of the Dioko, but it wins out doing so much more........

Yeah, I need to experience another planar with midbass for more insight but even so, the tactility and texturing throughout the range is smooth - something I associate with BAs. A DD would provide more impact but might cause issues with coherency.

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #865 of 2,375
Yeah, I need to experience another planar with midbass for more insight but even so, the tactility and texturing throughout the range is smooth - something I associate with BAs. A DD would provide more impact but might cause issues with coherency.
What is strange is at the time of first getting the HOOK-X, it was thin, then after burn-in a whole different animal. Then in my review I thought the HIFIMAN P1 Max and the HOOK-X were similar, and while both (to me) are great, the HOOK-X has in recent times pulled away to be something way different entirely?

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #866 of 2,375
Ok, interesting. Agreed, prefer a DD for the lows too, as per Szalayi.

I imagine in terms of real_life implementation, like the pcb circuit & crossover gives too many cons.

Cause there don't seem to be any planar with DDs.

Other than IMR iems..... Buf they don't bother to tune anything but put everything crossover-less with everything full range.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #867 of 2,375
I imagine in terms of real_life implementation, like the pcb circuit & crossover gives too many cons.

Other than IMR iems..... Buf they don't bother to tune anything but put everything crossover-less with everything full range.

Yeah I'd say its tricky to do alright. I'll certainly buy one of these anyway, a big DUNU fan and interested to hear this set.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #868 of 2,375

Actually the TRI I3 and TRI I3 Pro do have a DD + Planar + BA config. Pretty exotic config, the planar settles the midrange, whereas the DD settles the bass and the BAs settles the highs.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #869 of 2,375
Actually the TRI I3 and TRI I3 Pro do have a DD + Planar + BA config. Pretty exotic config, the planar settles the midrange, whereas the DD settles the bass and the BAs settles the highs.

Yes the same for Oriolus Szalayi.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #870 of 2,375
There is just something about planar bass that makes me love all things planar. Yes, it is different, and a (good) DD can give a more visceral bass (naturally), but planar has caught up to the DD in this regard, mostly (and with some hard work in the implementation). The Hook-X for instance has a very hard hitting and very deep bass to it (but remains quick and textured as well). It does still have that planar tonality to it, but almost hits like a DD, but with the added texture and speed from planar.
I'm with you on the tactility and impact slightly missing on the Dioko, but extra adds like the HOOK-X has makes a world of difference in my eyes. The HOOK-X is of course more than 2X the cost of the Dioko, but it wins out doing so much more. The HOOK-X was/is bigger in presence all the way around, plus more bass, even though fuzzy. Still it has low-end, and spacial clues into a bigger listening stage.

The thing is this "Talos" BA arraignment may give the bass?
I concur on this, except where fuzzy is concerned (I simply don't hear it). What are the specs (driving power) of your source, if you don't mind me asking? I DO hear that when playing it from my phone, but they scale (tighten up) as you progress through the power addition of more powerful amps (and more current).

It might be very interesting to have BA bass mixed with ortho bass (if this is how they will do it). They are both fast and textured, but both have a timbre to them that exposes them as being different than DD (in a good way IMO). OR... if it is a crossover that changes from BA to PL then you would (potentially) have two sets of IEM in one (also very interesting). Either way, as long as these have a good tuning, they could be very innovative and unique.
A good planar implementation shouldn't sound smooth (per se') over the range; not that they can't though. Their speed and (short) decay time limit how smooth it can be. If it does, the planar driver isn't being utilized properly IMO (or they have done some other sort of trickery to make this happen). You should be able to almost feel the separation because of the nature of the way a planar works. That isn't to say that it can't happen, but it goes against the design of the driver itself (much like having super separation in a DD, it just doesn't do it naturally, but CAN be made to do it).

Having said that, you are right about coherency issues. I have a set of iBasso IT-07 (which is 1 DD and 6 BA). The DD provides some very juicy bass and sounds very good, but there is some speed issues between the DD and the BAs (being faster). They really aren't too noticeable unless you actually listen for it, and these are still one of my favorites, but it IS there. This might be the reason to pair PL and BA. they seem to share speed and transient response, though tonality will be a bit different (which is the interesting part to me).

I have a set of all BA in the Audiosense T800, and while most people might have missed it, they are a total crossover(less) design. This HAD to be very difficult to implement (at best), but they work seamlessly. I guess it will come down to how hard DUNU is willing to work to get it right because I think it CAN be done and done very well IMO. I am pretty excited to hear about these in all honesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back