DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 19, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #361 of 2,375
Curious to know why DUNU choose to put 2 DDs on the Vulkan? It's not that common to see more than a DD on most IEMs.
A couple good IEMs use 2 DDs - IER-Z1R and Kinera Urd. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some inspiration there.

May 19, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #362 of 2,375
A couple good IEMs use 2 DDs - IER-Z1R and Kinera Urd. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some inspiration there.

Also Penon Serial and qdc DMagic have 3 x DDs, VE EXT has 2 X DDs... CFA just announced their 3x DD... maybe a trend!

May 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #363 of 2,375
The CFA implementation would be interesting. Record pricing for CFA!

May 19, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #364 of 2,375
Ok, stream of thought... VULKAN has a good 50 hours or so on the clock, and I'm confident to say it's possibly the best IEM I've heard under $1k - heck I switched from the Elysian X and while of course there was a difference in SQ, not possibly the 8 or 9x $$$ difference or anywhere near it. I've found lately that sub bass is very important to me, and zero complaints here - nice and deep, that almost sense of feeling it in my chest - good mid bass kick, excellent slam while listening to techno, where a good thump is called for in kick drums for example. Excellent mids, clear and robust/sufficiently lush and in no way congested. Treble is excellent for the most part, it very, very occasionally gets a bit hot - I would say more applicable in lower quality busy recordings - the overall tuning responds well to higher quality/produced recordings. Detail levels are excellent, even with a somewhat warm-leaning overall tuning, the balance makes for wonderful engagement and emotional connection. Staging and imaging are presented with an excellent sense of space, with vocals for example tending to sit more in my head, surrounded by instruments extended out to the exterior - very realistic and cohesive overall presentation. I've cycled through a few genres and VULKAN hasn't faltered, taking basic solo vocals, to complex multi instrumental/electronic genres with excellent results across the board.

Anyway, early impressions but I'm incredibly impressed and I would say DUNU has a real winner on their hands. Intrigued as to what the final SRP will be on this gem!

20220519_091339.jpg

May 19, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #365 of 2,375
Ok, stream of thought... VULKAN has a good 50 hours or so on the clock, and I'm confident to say it's possibly the best IEM I've heard under $1k - heck I switched from the Elysian X and while of course there was a difference in SQ, not possibly the 8 or 9x $$$ difference or anywhere near it. I've found lately that sub bass is very important to me, and zero complaints here - nice and deep, that almost sense of feeling it in my chest - good mid bass kick, excellent slam while listening to techno, where a good thump is called for in kick drums for example. Excellent mids, clear and robust/sufficiently lush and in no way congested. Treble is excellent for the most part, it very, very occasionally gets a bit hot - I would say more applicable in lower quality busy recordings - the overall tuning responds well to higher quality/produced recordings. Detail levels are excellent, even with a somewhat warm-leaning overall tuning, the balance makes for wonderful engagement and emotional connection. Staging and imaging are presented with an excellent sense of space, with vocals for example tending to sit more in my head, surrounded by instruments extended out to the exterior - very realistic and cohesive overall presentation. I've cycled through a few genres and VULKAN hasn't faltered, taking basic solo vocals, to complex multi instrumental/electronic genres with excellent results across the board.

Anyway, early impressions but I'm incredibly impressed and I would say DUNU has a real winner on their hands. Intrigued as to what the final SRP will be on this gem!

20220519_091339.jpg
Very interesting indeed. I see your point now about diminishing returns and how this will lower the bar. Looks like I have to keep my eyes peeled for when these drop.

Enjoyed reading your impressions! Thanks!

May 19, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #366 of 2,375

20220519_091339.jpg
Does it sound very refined?

May 19, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #367 of 2,375
Does it sound very refined?

Yes definitely, to my ears anyway. I sort of wish it had been sent with no prior indication of price! The unboxing etc is up there with the ZEN / ZEN PRO.

May 19, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #368 of 2,375
Yes definitely, to my ears anyway. I sort of wish it had been sent with no prior indication of price! The unboxing etc is up there with the ZEN / ZEN PRO.
It's interesting. With Dunu, I find that unboxing experience and price do not correlate. The Dunu SA6, Dunu Falcon Pro, and Dunu Titan S all have similar boxes/packaging despite the variance in price. And then the Dunu EST112 is cheaper than the Dunu SA6 but has a similar box to the Zen/Zen Pro.

May 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #369 of 2,375
It's interesting. With Dunu, I find that unboxing experience and price do not correlate. The Dunu SA6, Dunu Falcon Pro, and Dunu Titan S all have similar boxes/packaging despite the variance in price. And then the Dunu EST112 is cheaper than the Dunu SA6 but has a similar box to the Zen/Zen Pro.

I never picked up EST112 actually, one I'm still curious to try. I did have SA6 and it definitely didn't have the same level of unboxing - I know only brief but I do enjoy a good unboxing experience!

May 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #371 of 2,375
How’s the treble timbre?

I'll have to go back with that in mind, I'll post back when I do. This was a very shooting from the hip session earlier!

May 19, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #372 of 2,375

20220519_091339.jpg
If you could compare the details and sound texture to the Timeless, how would you describe it?

And if possible, could you compare the stage and holographicness to Z1R? These are one of the highest benchmarks in the matter

Sorry for asking, you're one of the few who has the Vulkan :wink:

May 20, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #374 of 2,375
If you could compare the details and sound texture to the Timeless, how would you describe it?

And if possible, could you compare the stage and holographicness to Z1R? These are one of the highest benchmarks in the matter

Sorry for asking, you're one of the few who has the Vulkan :wink:

Sure, no problem but likely a couple of days before I'll get the opportunity to test them!

May 20, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #375 of 2,375

Users who are viewing this thread

Back