DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #166 of 2,381
I had so much fun last night. No, it wasn’t a new romantic sensation, but actually there was a little romance involved! I was answering some questions about the DUNU SA6 IEM and was wondering again what it sounded like. So it was as simple as opening a box near-by and trying it out once more.

This time I was trying to figure out the soundstage. Yet it hit me why this is such a loved IEM, all over again. Honestly, I’m not sure what it was, but the SA6 had me spellbound for quite a while. I was experiencing its charms well into the night!

It wasn’t that it did any one thing super super great, but it didn’t have to. What was special was how it went about the task of parlaying music, just simply enchanting and wonderful! There was the soundstage again, and how it was presented. How it was not giant or small, but just right. Within that space was room for guitars to make their way out, slowly becoming known for just their presence in a natural and accessible way. They were just presented as they were, but there was more; each strum I was again reminded of the tone, how it was. Not a bright or dull tone, but a carefully tuned object, which was harmonically correct. If anything it was the imaging that seemed better than I remember. It was clearer and better defined? The guitars went to their place on the right and to the left, but were an integral and cohesive part of the whole.

This playback was enhanced by the drums. Every once in a while the drum mix would throw embellishments of extra drums out to the right and left. Everything was in a way understated, yet special. Somehow I never noticed just how right everything was?

Next up the bass. And leaving the switches on stock........there was this carefully crafted bass tone. Yet it was completely connected to the drums and guitar........it fell back and had it’s own area in the mix. What was striking was just how warm it was. Also full, as it had a presentation that needed nothing. At the time it was this humble warm introduction of bass that was memorable. Memorable due to being both unique and carefully done. The bass has/had a personality of it’s own, yet didn’t stick out or was overdone?

There was an understated beauty and form. Actually I never had a want or need for more sound. Nothing was wrong or disjointed. It seemed to just work?

While somehow I gained a new level of respect? This replay had more going for it than I remembered? This IEM was actually way better at being an already great IEM.

So I questioned what it could be? Could it be the tips? Could it be my DAPs firmware? Could it be the music that I was playing? Really I’m clueless, yet tonight is round two! The fit is also another thing that is special, being the SA6 is low weight and has nozzles that are just right. Both the diameter of the nozzle and the length is correct. You don’t hardly feel it in your ear. Once it’s placed it disappears.

What ever it was/is.......I’m not even worried I will not find it again tonight! I’m positive I will. Just an amazing IEM on all levels!

Your post and photo inspired me to get reacquainted with SA6's which were my introduction and induction to Head-Fi.

A59D4CBB-4EB9-413F-8B73-C76503C4EBF4.jpeg
IMG_4369.jpeg

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #167 of 2,381
Exciting faceplates!
Your post and photo inspired me to get reacquainted with SA6's which were my introduction and induction to Head-Fi.

A59D4CBB-4EB9-413F-8B73-C76503C4EBF4.jpegIMG_4369.jpeg

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #168 of 2,381

Spending another whole night with the DUNU SA6. It may be that you do have to spend awhile (away) listening to other IEMs idea of what they think is correct.........to then come back to the SA6? Then you are literally welcomed back with this politeness, this beautiful reserved correctness. I don’t know? The fact that it seemed to age really well. Where we live in a world of fast change-ups and progress, yet the SA6 is a classic. Classic because it does the fundamentals right! It crosses all the t-s and dots all the i-s. Oh, the vocals! I have never mentioned vocals. Just right, it somehow walks around any issues that come from playing with a V submerged midrange. The midrange is a paradise! The vocals are perfect, detailed and have absolutely precise placement in the soundstage of the mix. Actually someone could get the SA6 just as a vocal IEM. But I mainly listen to rock which it also does great. It’s truly a well rounded performer.....yet I never appreciated how really well rounded it is?

Normally we will try and pigeon hole a signature into treble-centric, or bass heavy.....if anything the SA6 has a big midrange, but really it’s more.......you can’t truly put in into a category, because it does it all.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #169 of 2,381
If the Titan S will never be available directly from Amazon, why is it listed there? That can only take sales away from your local sellers. The ordering option on Amazon is from HiFoGo, a China based company.

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #170 of 2,381
The Zen Pro scales ridiculously. It is absolutely fierce sounding on the CMA Twelve Master

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #171 of 2,381
If the Titan S will never be available directly from Amazon, why is it listed there? That can only take sales away from your local sellers. The ordering option on Amazon is from HiFoGo, a China based company.
HiFiGo listed it; Dunu does not control what they list.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #172 of 2,381
Spending another whole night with the DUNU SA6. It may be that you do have to spend awhile (away) listening to other IEMs idea of what they think is correct.........to then come back to the SA6? Then you are literally welcomed back with this politeness, this beautiful reserved correctness. I don’t know? The fact that it seemed to age really well. Where we live in a world of fast change-ups and progress, yet the SA6 is a classic. Classic because it does the fundamentals right! It crosses all the t-s and dots all the i-s. Oh, the vocals! I have never mentioned vocals. Just right, it somehow walks around any issues that come from playing with a V submerged midrange. The midrange is a paradise! The vocals are perfect, detailed and have absolutely precise placement in the soundstage of the mix. Actually someone could get the SA6 just as a vocal IEM. But I mainly listen to rock which it also does great. It’s truly a well rounded performer.....yet I never appreciated how really well rounded it is?

Normally we will try and pigeon hole a signature into treble-centric, or bass heavy.....if anything the SA6 has a big midrange, but really it’s more.......you can’t truly put in into a category, because it does it all.

SA6 is really comfortable too, which I value highly. But yeah i def agree w your sound impressions of it

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #173 of 2,381
It really is 100% comfortable. I’m not sure if it has that reputation? But really........it should be looked at as one of the most comfortable IEMs. Of course fit is individual, but still it’s just right, as smaller IEMs will fit more people. The shape and nozzle length are special, I think?
SA6 is really comfortable too, which I value highly. But yeah i def agree w your sound impressions of it

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #174 of 2,381
It really is 100% comfortable. I’m not sure if it has that reputation? But really........it should be looked at as one of the most comfortable IEMs. Of course fit is individual, but still it’s just right, as smaller IEMs will fit more people. The shape and nozzle length are special, I think?

I know at least half the reason why I ended up with the SA6 is because I heard it was comfortable, so I'd say it has that as its reputation at least to some extent. In general, I find Dunu IEMs to all be really comfortable. Even the EST 112, which has a pretty thick housing, is remarkably comfortable.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #175 of 2,381
Good point. So yes, I guess it does have a reputation for being comfortable. I mean that’s really important.......as if you don’t obtain fit well, you will never even know how an IEM sounds.
I know at least half the reason why I ended up with the SA6 is because I heard it was comfortable, so I'd say it has that as its reputation at least to some extent. In general, I find Dunu IEMs to all be really comfortable. Even the EST 112, which has a pretty thick housing, is remarkably comfortable.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #176 of 2,381
Zen Pro is blowing my mind. Listening to Beck's Sea Change and this set is just killing it. I think people we're expecting a similar sound sig as the Zen. Hear a lot of reviewers comparing the two sets and rightfully so I guess. But no no... this is a reference set if I've ever heard one, w effortless mids and treble and just enough bass that has a good quality in textures/tone, but not overly emphasized in that region. The staging is just spot on too w really nice width/depth and layering. I really dig the detail retrieval too. This set is really etched in the upper treble and just digs out those micro details effortlessly. I switched the 4.4mm connector with the rhodium one from the SA6 though. It was a hair warmer/smoother with the gold plated connector. I might switch back, but I'm really enjoying the speed and crispness with this set up now haha

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #177 of 2,381
Zen Pro is blowing my mind. Listening to Beck's Sea Change and this set is just killing it. I think people we're expecting a similar sound sig as the Zen. Hear a lot of reviewers comparing the two sets and rightfully so I guess. But no no... this is a reference set if I've ever heard one, w effortless mids and treble and just enough bass that has a good quality in textures/tone, but not overly emphasized in that region. The staging is just spot on too w really nice width/depth and layering. I really dig the detail retrieval too. This set is really etched in the upper treble and just digs out those micro details effortlessly. I switched the 4.4mm connector with the rhodium one from the SA6 though. It was a hair warmer/smoother with the gold plated connector. I might switch back, but I'm really enjoying the speed and crispness with this set up now haha
A friend told me this about them:
I would suggest to audition the OG Zen as well if possible before purchase
OG Zen with the correct eartips are ... 👌
Now I just bought Dunu Zen and they are shipped
Now did you A/B both ?

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #178 of 2,381
I think a lot of reviewers compare to the original Zen because they were asked to - either by Dunu or by followers.

I know I personally have the Zen and I'm constantly tempted by the Zen Pro but am concerned they would be too similar. Or that I can get the Zen Pro sound with just some light EQ.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #179 of 2,381
A friend told me this about them:
I would suggest to audition the OG Zen as well if possible before purchase
OG Zen with the correct eartips are ... 👌
Now I just bought Dunu Zen and they are shipped
Now did you A/B both ?

Never tried OG Zen. Would like to hear them tho. The Zen Pro were one of the items that wowed me at Can Jam, them along w the LCD-X. I was going to purchase the Zen Pro on the spot after hearing them there at the show but my responsible side said wait and consider it more. Well I waited long enough haha
I think a lot of reviewers compare to the original Zen because they were asked to - either by Dunu or by followers.

I know I personally have the Zen and I'm constantly tempted by the Zen Pro but am concerned they would be too similar. Or that I can get the Zen Pro sound with just some light EQ.

Idk if you can. From what I read DUNU made a lot of changes in how they produced the driver. I'd say they were successful and produced a gem. It's a special set imo

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #180 of 2,381
Idk if you can. From what I read DUNU made a lot of changes in how they produced the driver. I'd say they were successful and produced a gem. It's a special set imo
I'll probably end up picking up a set sooner or later, honestly. It's more a matter of when I can justify the expense. I semi recently got the LCD-XC so dropping another $900 on an IEM likely isn't the wisest choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back