DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #122 of 2,372
My first impressions on Titan S were posted on my thread in another forum, but might as well share them here.

Review to follow (and some nice pics). Hope you enjoy them!

Nice. Agree with most of your points, especially the treble. Titan S does high pitched instruments like cymbal very well: round and smooth and "sweat" somehow.

Agreed here as well - I initially thought the Titan S was going to be a little on the piercing side, but for an already nuetral-bright signature it does those kinds of high-pitched instruments very well.

PXL_20220126_042135030.NIGHT.jpg
Love it and with X-Bass šŸ’„šŸ’„šŸ’„

Thanks for pairing it with our stuff! xBass for life :)

Is it 'classic' recesssed 2 pins connector, for titan S ?

Indeed it is!

Also, a brief status update on the state of our products:
  • LUNA: all 500 units sold out since last year --- a few units may still be available from a couple of retailers, but the DUNU factory does not have any remaining.
  • FALCON PRO: out of stock at DUNU, production will resume after CNY hiatus --- retailers around the globe may have them in stock
  • Studio SA6: out of stock globally --- we are still waiting for delivery of critical components following the CNY hiatus to resume production; production rate will be slow, due to the SA6's handmade nature
  • Studio SA3: sold out globally ---- production has ceased and the model has been discontinued in favor of the upcoming SA4
  • TITAN S: out of stock at DUNU, production will resume after CNY hiatus --- a few retailers around the globe may have them in stock
  • BLANCHE: out of stock globally --- production has ceased and we have not made a determination whether to continue production or to introduce a new cable
  • NOBLE: out of stock globally --- production has ceased and we have not made a determination whether to continue production or to introduce a new cable
  • DUW-02S: production is delayed due to a change in packaging materials

2022 will hopefully mean more DUNU cables and returns of stables like the 02S. Good and bad problems to have!

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #124 of 2,372
The Zen Pro is my new favorite IEM! These black tips which were included (I think Sony Hybrids), are my favorite tips along with the Dunu brand clear ones. Seriously the cleanest bass I have ever heard in an IEM. Using these as a high end portable reference when I am not using the Focal Clear MG, which by the way these compete well against. Aside from the occasional treble peaks which I have fixed with EQ, these sound balanced and natural and yet dynamic and full of energy. Also a major improvement in upper treble extension from the original Zen.

Dunu Zen Pro (4).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #125 of 2,372
I'm using Symbio W at the moment for out walking, nice isolation and retains the balanced, technical, and engaging sound.

Of the dynamic drivers I've had the pleasure of trying, ZEN PRO definitely take the prize as the best all-rounder.

Paired here with my go-to DAP for absolute portability while out walking.

20220211_082701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 12, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #129 of 2,372
Thank you! My 3rd now, well my first (IE900) was only meant to be impressions but went on quite a while, so converted to a review... In the midst of my next now - certainly takes effort!
Takes a while to get a good rhythm but once you do, you will be able to churn them out at a decent speed.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #130 of 2,372
I finally got a chance to audition and A/B test Zen Pro and SA6. The local hi-fi store finally received stock (perhaps because I asked to open their EST112 display model so they need to restock Dunu stuffs). Anyhow, since I havenā€™t bought and spent significant amount with them, Iā€™ll just share some of my impressions here as one more data point for folks who are considering these.

SA6: As good as what people on the Internet say!
  • Itā€™s beautiful! Crystal clear and chock full of BA drivers inside.
  • Excellent accessory, but the cable is humongous. Why would you supply such a thick cable for such small and nimble IEM?
  • It locks into my ears very well and completely seal them off against the sound of a hifi system running in the background. I can see why this is a professional monitoring tool.
  • The sound is clear and detailed. The degree of detail this IEM extract is in the ballpark with the Andromeda 2020, from memory.
  • Elements of the mix are not push apart from each other to create separation like Final A4000/A8000. However you can follow each one easily, even the ones far left and far right of the stereo field.
  • Smooth tuning. Very comfortable sound, just like many in the 64 audio line up, the kind of sound that you can sit back and listen for hours with getting tired.
  • Drawbacks: does not have a strong sense of layering of sound (elements layering from closer to further away). This is the only thing that I dislike. If I can run this one through my detailed A/B tests against benchmarks , I suspect it would rate very high.

Zen Pro: excellent bass line with the decent technical performance to keep up
  • Itā€™s tiny but well built. Much smaller than what I imagined.
  • Btw, the zen pro box that I opened yesterday has a label saying VGP 2022. New batch? Anyhow, congrats @DUNU-Topsound .
  • Beautiful, soft cable.
  • Out of the box, I can hear that this is an energetic sound. Not a smooth soft tuning like SA6 but the kind of sound that raises your energy level.
  • Bass and drum sound excellent on this one. It has the ā€œslamā€ with a rumbling decay that I can feel in my throat, so I suspect the bass extends pretty low.
  • Elements of the mix are decently separated.
  • Details are okay too. Not outstanding like SA6, but perhaps because the showroom was a bit noisy.
  • Top-end (ultra high frequency or ā€œairā€) is there, but not quite as much as I expected. Again, perhaps due to the noisy showroom.
  • Drawback: again, layering. And also the not so extravagant detail and top end. Itā€™s still competitive against things like Vega and Dorado, but Andromeda is looming ahead at only AUD$200 more, so Iā€™m not sure I want to add Zen Pro to my collection as much as SA6.

EST112:
  • Custom-looking IEM, made out of a chunk of metal. Pretty cool.
  • Nice cable and accessories, as expected.
  • The sound is alright. Nothing jumps out to be outstanding or exciting to be geeking about to me.
  • I do expect those EST drivers do something special, but I couldnā€™t hear that something. Perhaps due to noisy showroom.
  • I personally would get SA6.
In case you are from Aus, the store I went to is Addicted to Audio in Adelaide. Great store with great staffs. I feel bad due to how many IEMs I have unboxed and tried there.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #131 of 2,372
Takes a while to get a good rhythm but once you do, you will be able to churn them out at a decent speed.

I hope so. I spent weeks setting up methodology and website, and then I have been able to write only 2 reviews so far. Finding time is tricky.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #132 of 2,372
more, so Iā€™m not sure I want to add Zen Pro to my collection as much as SA6.

EST112:
  • I do expect those EST drivers do something special, but I couldnā€™t hear that something. Perhaps due to noisy showroom.
Tbf you mentioned it, and no it's not a fair comparison. The EST drivers don't do anything special, but as 3 way hybrid with EQ they are beautiful sounding. However, just my opinion (I'm comparing them to Sundara, HD650, hemp, HD560S, blah blah) and I can't see much point in spending much more on IEMs. If you like a forward punchy sound they are right there with Grado and Hifiman. Personally I'm more intrigued by Titan S

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #133 of 2,372
Tbf you mentioned it, and no it's not a fair comparison. The EST drivers don't do anything special, but as 3 way hybrid with EQ they are beautiful sounding. However, just my opinion (I'm comparing them to Sundara, HD650, hemp, HD560S, blah blah) and I can't see much point in spending much more on IEMs. If you like a forward punchy sound they are right there with Grado and Hifiman. Personally I'm more intrigued by Titan S

Yeah, they sound alright. I guess I was absolutely smitten with SA6 (and also Andromeda 2020 and U6t) so it is harder to justify the 112.

I canā€™t wear headphones properly due to wearing glasses so IEM is the only way to get ā€œhi-fiā€ comfortably without annoying others. My HD560s sounds decent when I donā€™t wear glass and piercing when I do, due to the lack of seal of the cup.

About Titan S: itā€™s great. Vanilla like EST 112, but at AUD$120, itā€™s excellent. I have written a review here but I donā€™t know how to link to a review, so you will need to find yourself.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #134 of 2,372

Users who are viewing this thread

Back