DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #871 of 2,375
There is just something about planar bass that makes me love all things planar. Yes, it is different, and a (good) DD can give a more visceral bass (naturally), but planar has caught up to the DD in this regard, mostly (and with some hard work in the implementation). The Hook-X for instance has a very hard hitting and very deep bass to it (but remains quick and textured as well). It does still have that planar tonality to it, but almost hits like a DD, but with the added texture and speed from planar.

I concur on this, except where fuzzy is concerned (I simply don't hear it). What are the specs (driving power) of your source, if you don't mind me asking? I DO hear that when playing it from my phone, but they scale (tighten up) as you progress through the power addition of more powerful amps (and more current).

It might be very interesting to have BA bass mixed with ortho bass (if this is how they will do it). They are both fast and textured, but both have a timbre to them that exposes them as being different than DD (in a good way IMO). OR... if it is a crossover that changes from BA to PL then you would (potentially) have two sets of IEM in one (also very interesting). Either way, as long as these have a good tuning, they could be very innovative and unique.

A good planar implementation shouldn't sound smooth (per se') over the range; not that they can't though. Their speed and (short) decay time limit how smooth it can be. If it does, the planar driver isn't being utilized properly IMO (or they have done some other sort of trickery to make this happen). You should be able to almost feel the separation because of the nature of the way a planar works. That isn't to say that it can't happen, but it goes against the design of the driver itself (much like having super separation in a DD, it just doesn't do it naturally, but CAN be made to do it).

Having said that, you are right about coherency issues. I have a set of iBasso IT-07 (which is 1 DD and 6 BA). The DD provides some very juicy bass and sounds very good, but there is some speed issues between the DD and the BAs (being faster). They really aren't too noticeable unless you actually listen for it, and these are still one of my favorites, but it IS there. This might be the reason to pair PL and BA. they seem to share speed and transient response, though tonality will be a bit different (which is the interesting part to me).

I have a set of all BA in the Audiosense T800, and while most people might have missed it, they are a total crossover(less) design. This HAD to be very difficult to implement (at best), but they work seamlessly. I guess it will come down to how hard DUNU is willing to work to get it right because I think it CAN be done and done very well IMO. I am pretty excited to hear about these in all honesty.
I don’t hear the bass as defined, maybe it was the UA3? I’ll switch back to my DAPs to see if more power cleans it up? I use the Walkman 1A/1Z and UA3 Dongle.

Edit:
I just listened to the HOOK-X again using the WM1A, probably my issue has been from prolonged use of 10 DDmm/Hybrids over the last couple weeks. The difference is now yes, in has more definition, but still it’s effective but not as localized as DD, more spread out, and not really as defined in fast passages. Though when on it’s own it’s clear. Probably I need more time to acclimate to planar bass, as it’s so very different in character from all my other IEMs?

While the HOOK-X is the best planar I’ve heard, still it’s so very different than normally what I listen to. Where placement and positioning is so wild, different but cool. Like super-wide spread-out speakers in a room, with the bass kind-off promoted as a less dominate yet there, maybe slightly less physical than DD?

But you don’t hear the slight fuzzy-ness in different areas, where really it’s the midrange that has the most, I guess it’s the piezoelectric? But I do remember back in April when I was reviewing the HOOK-X that it took a while to become under its spell. And I wasn’t the only one, where the more time you spent listening, the more correct it started to seem? It’s airy really! But maybe with more time, the slightly thin airiness goes away, and everything becomes more substantial?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #872 of 2,375
I don’t hear the bass as defined, maybe it was the UA3? I’ll switch back to my DAPs to see if more power cleans it up? I use the Walkman 1A/1Z and UA3 Dongle.

Edit:
I just listened to the HOOK-X again using the WM1A, probably my issue has been from prolonged use of 10 DDmm/Hybrids over the last couple weeks. The difference is now yes, in has more definition, but still it’s effective but not as localized as DD, more spread out, and not really as defined in fast passages. Though when on it’s own it’s clear. Probably I need more time to acclimate to planar bass, as it’s so very different in character from all my other IEMs?

While the HOOK-X is the best planar I’ve heard, still it’s so very different than normally what I listen to. Where placement and positioning is so wild, different but cool. Like super-wide spread-out speakers in a room, with the bass kind-off promoted as a less dominate yet there, maybe slightly less physical than DD?

But you don’t hear the slight fuzzy-ness in different areas, where really it’s the midrange that has the most, I guess it’s the piezoelectric? But I do remember back in April when I was reviewing the HOOK-X that it took a while to become under its spell. And I wasn’t the only one, where the more time you spent listening, the more correct it started to seem? It’s airy really! But maybe with more time, the slightly thin airiness goes away, and everything becomes more substantial?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raptgo-hook-x-in-ear-monitor.962907/post-17096934 In order to keep on topic here, I replied to this in the Hook-X thread (that you thankfully started, thanks for that BTW).

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #873 of 2,375
Very interesting! I wonder what the other drivers are? I have the new Oriolus Szalayi and love it - very curious to see how DUNU stacks up.\
2BA, 1PL, supposedly. With a switch to go to pure planar mode. Personally I think a 1DD for lows (even if it was a small DD) , 1PL for highs might be a better hybrid. From my experience with the Dioko, planar have lovely micro detailing but tactility and impact is better on DDs.

I'll be able to confirm the driver config soon but not yet :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raptgo-hook-x-in-ear-monitor.962907/post-17096934 In order to keep on topic here, I replied to this in the Hook-X thread (that you thankfully started, thanks for that BTW).

Thanks for keeping us on topic!

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #874 of 2,375
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #876 of 2,375
Every new review of the Vulkans makes me want to review them (and enjoy them) even more. Soon, I hope...

It’s a nice product. Looks and sounds more expensive than what it really is. Hopefully you will get on your hands on a set soon. I think you will love it, especially if you like big and natural bass. Personally, I wish it is a bit more resolving.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #877 of 2,375
It’s a nice product. Looks and sounds more expensive than what it really is. Hopefully you will get on your hands on a set soon. I think you will love it, especially if you like big and natural bass. Personally, I wish it is a bit more resolving.
In what way, the mids, treble, or just overall signature?

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #878 of 2,375
In what way, the mids, treble, or just overall signature?

Mate, have you read my review :beyersmile: I think the bass presentation is a strength. Staging is also good, but I‘m not a big fan of peaking ear gain at 3k (in-the-head center image).

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #879 of 2,375
Mate, have you read my review :beyersmile: I think the bass presentation is a strength. Staging is also good, but I‘m not a big fan of peaking ear gain at 3k (in-the-head center image).
Apologies, I have not, but I will do so now.... :)

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #880 of 2,375
My ears pricked up when someone from Dunu mentioned that the Vulkan sound was influenced by the Sony xba-n3 to some extent, then I was disappointed when they added that it would have less bass. I am paraphrasing btw, I can't remember the exact words. The N3 is hardly a bass cannon, I don't use it for music like techno for that reason. I like a lot of bass and its difficult to find IEMs under $500 that have a powerful bass sound. I'm spoiled for choice if I want some variation of neutral but if I want big bass there is so little available. I have been buying discontinued Japanese IEMs for enjoying my bassiest tunes.

Am I imagining that bassy earphones are thin on the ground or am I not looking hard enough? Currently my favorite IEMs for techno and other electronic music are Japanese models that came out in 2014.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #881 of 2,375
My ears pricked up when someone from Dunu mentioned that the Vulkan sound was influenced by the Sony xba-n3 to some extent, then I was disappointed when they added that it would have less bass. I am paraphrasing btw, I can't remember the exact words. The N3 is hardly a bass cannon, I don't use it for music like techno for that reason. I like a lot of bass and its difficult to find IEMs under $500 that have a powerful bass sound. I'm spoiled for choice if I want some variation of neutral but if I want big bass there is so little available. I have been buying discontinued Japanese IEMs for enjoying my bassiest tunes.

Am I imagining that bassy earphones are thin on the ground or am I not looking hard enough? Currently my favorite IEMs for techno and other electronic music are Japanese models that came out in 2014.

Final Audio E5000? If your amp is strong enough to power it (meaning you are using more than Apple dongle), it wouldn’t sound bloated and muddy even though it has a lot of SPL in the bass region.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #882 of 2,375

If you are looking for a good clean bass but really big, either the CCA CRA or the CCA CRA+. For around $20, these are amazing (and the treble is actually pretty well done for a cheapo). There is a thread on here if you want to read more about them. :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #883 of 2,375

The XBA-N3’s bass is mid-bass focused compared to the sub-bass predominant Vulkan. Vulkan has more sub-bass extension and rumble and less mid-bass bleed. On the other hand, the XBA-N3’s bass isn’t as tight and clean, with copious mid-bass bleed and less texture. So the bass presentation itself is a bit different, depending whether you like more sub-bass or more mid-bass.

Vulkan has a brighter treble especially at the 7/8 kHz region. Overall, the Sony XBA N3 is smoother, with a thicker note weight, and is more analogue-sounding than the Vulkan, so they are not the same tonally. The XBA-N3 has a more natural timbre, but the N3 is weaker in resolution and clarity. The XBA-N3 shades it a bit in soundstage, but the poorer imaging and separation of instruments can make the soundscape fuzzy; the Vulkan is hence more technical, and also has better isolation.

If you want an IEM with bassy signature, maybe you can check out the Moondrop Variations, Final Audio E3000, E4000 and E5000. Do note the Final Audio stuff discussed here need amplification, they all are rather low in sensitivity.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #884 of 2,375

Other than the recommendation just received, you should check out Discovery thread and seek more feedback there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-4295#post-17105946

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #885 of 2,375
Seeking identification here.
These tips came with Luna.
I know the top six are Spinfit 360s.
But what are the bottom four?
Thanks

Attachments

• 8A6B2A67-911B-4A7D-B767-425467805BA0.jpeg
    8A6B2A67-911B-4A7D-B767-425467805BA0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back